Is Treasure Coast a playoff team?

Jimmyb80

On 11/4/2022 at 6:34 AM, Jimmyb80 said:

The local paper had an article, behind pay wall, arguing that TC deserves a playoff spot due to quality of opponents it lost too this season…they finished 3-7 with Wins over Fort Pierce Central, Martin county, and Centennial and losses to Chaminade, Jesuit, STA, Kissimmee Osceola to name a few….what do you guys think? I feel it’s like arguing that Vanderbilt should make a bowl game due to the quality of opponents they lose too every season….if they had beaten one other district opponent they would be in as district champ! Just curious if SOS should count more than wins or if close losses are better, in your opinion, then wins against “inferior” opponents 

On 11/10/2022 at 10:35 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Like Vero would have beaten those teams Treasure Coast lost to

They couldn't even beat one of the teams that Treasure Coast beat

49 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Martin County record this year vs Treasure Coast  0-2

Martin County record this year vs Vero Beach  1-0

As a Vero fan I think they should have been in, they are one of the top teams in the region, despite their record and we should want the best teams in the playoffs. I for one respect what they did tried to do this year and believe they should have been rewarded for it. 

What I don’t understand though is why Vero was brought up at all? I know he’s a Vero fan, but it has no relevance to this topic, he’s entitled to his opinion, he obviously doesn’t think they should be in, as many do, I disagree, and that’s my right. 

If comparing what TC/Martin County vs Vero/Martin County is to speculate on Vero/ TC, it’s not necessary, it was decided two weeks ago: Vero beat TC and won the district. 

Now IF they are both able to somehow make it to the third round, the outcome may be different, but that’s a huge leap as Vero still has to play/win tomorrow night, they both still have to play/win next week, and TC has a considerably bigger task ahead of them than Vero would. 

Again I’m not a TC hater in any way, I respect what coach Jones has built there and appreciate this district becoming what it is, they put 4 of the the 5 teams in to the playoffs and I would love to see Fort Pierce Central become more competitive again.

I’m a longtime Vero fan, but if they get knocked out and if either TC or Centennial are still in it, I’m gonna pull for them to keep going as long as possible, as I did for TC last year. 

3 minutes ago, Drogo said:

As a Vero fan I think they should have been in, they are one of the top teams in the region, despite their record and we should want the best teams in the playoffs. I for one respect what they did tried to do this year and believe they should have been rewarded for it. 

What I don’t understand though is why Vero was brought up at all? I know he’s a Vero fan, but it has no relevance to this topic, he’s entitled to his opinion, he obviously doesn’t think they should be in, as many do, I disagree, and that’s my right. 

If comparing what TC/Martin County vs Vero/Martin County is to speculate on Vero/ TC, it’s not necessary, it was decided two weeks ago: Vero beat TC and won the district. 

Now IF they are both able to somehow make it to the third round, the outcome may be different, but that’s a huge leap as Vero still has to play/win tomorrow night, they both still have to play/win next week, and TC has a considerably bigger task ahead of them than Vero would. 

Again I’m not a TC hater in any way, I respect what coach Jones has built there and appreciate this district becoming what it is, they put 4 of the the 5 teams in to the playoffs and I would love to see Fort Pierce Central become more competitive again.

I’m a longtime Vero fan, but if they get knocked out and if either TC or Centennial are still in it, I’m gonna pull for them to keep going as long as possible, as I did for TC last year. 

I understand that 

I bring up Vero mainly because they are the biggest competition in that area to Treasure Coast as of late and are naturally competitive rivals as of late

I also bring it up because both teams have completely different scheduling approaches as Treasure Coast, unlike Vero, has played games in SFL against powerhouses while Vero hasn't played a road regular season game against a Dade or Broward school in years so I bring it up because I feel like he's taking the approach that teams are better based on what their record is with no true evaluation into those records 

If record meant everything to how good a team is than Treasure Coast should have lost to Martin County tonight but they didn't

8 minutes ago, Drogo said:

As for Vero vs TC rematch I think those 2 would have one heck of a battle if they make it to regional finals 

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I understand that 

I bring up Vero mainly because they are the biggest competition in that area to Treasure Coast as of late and are naturally competitive rivals as of late

I also bring it up because both teams have completely different scheduling approaches as Treasure Coast, unlike Vero, has played games in SFL against powerhouses while Vero hasn't played a road regular season game against a Dade or Broward school in years so I bring it up because I feel like he's taking the approach that teams are better based on what their record is with no true evaluation into those records 

If record meant everything to how good a team is than Treasure Coast should have lost to Martin County tonight but they didn't

I agree, I wish Vero would make that trip down to Dade/Broward too, Vero had a home/home scheduled with Venice a few years ago, they played at Venice, but a hurricane canceled Venice’s ability to come here. I am hoping that the game they scheduled/played with Miami Palmetto this year was a home/home, and they’ll make the trip down there, but I doubt it. 

I think the economics of it come into play at times too, Vero plays in front of a packed house every home game and it’s a tough thing to give up when the football gate revenue basically pays for the every other sports ability to play- especially in retirement communities like Vero where people see investing in high school sports as not necessary because their kids are grown and they don’t personally benefit from it. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

Yeah, listening to our local reporters interviewing the Harmony coach they were very surprised to get in.   Vero should be happy with the matchup.  

I think it caught Vero off guard too, Coach J (Vero’s coach) even went up to scout the Deland/Spruce Creek game I believe expecting to pay one of those two teams. 

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Yeah, listening to our local reporters interviewing the Harmony coach they were very surprised to get in.   Vero should be happy with the matchup.  

Yea they ended up 3rd in their district at 1-2 after getting blown out by Heritage who were second at 2-1. They beat Harmony 35-3

So here’s what I MEAN…..everyone seems to be OK with the argument that losing to a “better team” is better than beating an inferior team…my first statement would be “any given Friday” anyone is beatable and I used TC as an example because they won zero non district games yet most thought they a shoe in to make playoffs…why? As I said earlier without maxpreps making there algorithm public it would seem scheduling IMG/STA etc etc and going 0-7 non conference means you should get in? I’m just pointing out what I see as a flaw in the system where not only does TC get in but ahead of teams with “winning” records seems a bit unfair 

56 minutes ago, Jimmyb80 said:

So here’s what I MEAN…..everyone seems to be OK with the argument that losing to a “better team” is better than beating an inferior team…my first statement would be “any given Friday” anyone is beatable and I used TC as an example because they won zero non district games yet most thought they a shoe in to make playoffs…why? As I said earlier without maxpreps making there algorithm public it would seem scheduling IMG/STA etc etc and going 0-7 non conference means you should get in? I’m just pointing out what I see as a flaw in the system where not only does TC get in but ahead of teams with “winning” records seems a bit unfair 

In the old days, as district runner up, they would have been in the playoffs anyway. Under the RPI system that preceded the current system there is a decent chance they would have been in, too. 

9 hours ago, Drogo said:

I think it caught Vero off guard too, Coach J (Vero’s coach) even went up to scout the Deland/Spruce Creek game I believe expecting to pay one of those two teams. 

By chance do you know how healthy we’re looking right now? Are we still on our 3rd string QB or has the 2nd string come back? I moved out of Vero and don’t hear a lot anymore.

1 hour ago, Trelle said:

By chance do you know how healthy we’re looking right now? Are we still on our 3rd string QB or has the 2nd string come back? I moved out of Vero and don’t hear a lot anymore.

I’m pretty sure 1st string Aronson is still out (broke thumb early in the Martin County game) backup EJ  White I’m not sure, may still be going with 3rd string QB Jake Whitley tonight. 

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I stand corrected. I thought VB would do better even without their starting QB. I can't see them beating Osceola if that's their opponent in the Regional finals. 

Vero Beach's defense is as tough as anyone else's in 4S. That alone will keep them in any game. I see them sneaking past Melbourne by a field goal next week in what will be a hell of a game. If Arunson can't come back soon, I can't see them getting past Osceola. Honestly, Osceola might be in the clear to win that region and meet Venice in round 4. We will see what happens. One game at a time.

14 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Calling it right now, the two state semifinal matchups in 4 Suburban will be Venice vs Osceola and Lakeland vs Bartram Trail, with Venice and Lakeland advancing to the big dance!

Only problem with your scenario if Osceola plays well enough to advance that far is Bartram Trail is #1 seed while we would be the lowest seed thus getting them.  Unfortunately, you will have to deal with Lakeland in the semi's no matter who comes out of our region. 

2 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Only problem with your scenario if Osceola plays well enough to advance that far is Bartram Trail is #1 seed while we would be the lowest seed thus getting them.  Unfortunately, you will have to deal with Lakeland in the semi's no matter who comes out of our region. 

I will correct myself and say you better cheer for Vero as they did pass you in the FHSAA rankings (if you can believe that) which means they would get Lakeland and you would end up with Bartram Trail and have to travel there.  Either way, it won't be the scenario you laid out. 

9 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Osceola is a shoe-in. VB currently doesn't have the offense to keep up with the Kowboys, and I don't like TC over Osceola. In order to beat Osceola, you have to pass the ball well and that is not a major characteristic of TC's offense. Thanks for the correction as I did not realize Lakeland would face Venice in the semi's instead. I would favor Bartram Trail over Osceola only by a razor-thin margin, in a game that could undoubtedly go either way.