Add one more week to the season ?

Dan in Daytona

Don't remember seeing this, but please refresh my fading memory. Adjusting enrollment numbers

a little may be in order :

4M vs 4S

3M vs 3S

2M vs 2S

1M vs 1S

All eight teams above are "Champions" either Metro or Suburban Champions. But the four game winners are "Florida State Champions."  All the older gentlemen out there remember pro football's AFL and NFL's  separate championships. The FHSAA could add the four "Super Bowls" and many of  our differences with the brackets would go away. Food for thought. Pardon me if this dead horse has already been buried. It's new to me   :) 

31 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Don't remember seeing this, but please refresh my fading memory. Adjusting enrollment numbers

a little may be in order :

4M vs 4S

3M vs 3S

2M vs 2S

1M vs 1S

All eight teams above are "Champions" either Metro or Suburban Champions. But the four game winners are "Florida State Champions."  All the older gentlemen out there remember pro football's AFL and NFL's  separate championships. The FHSAA could add the four "Super Bowls" and many of  our differences with the brackets would go away. Food for thought. Pardon me if this dead horse has already been buried. It's new to me   :) 

If they did that in the future it would be more an open bowl series (similar to CA) so you still have metro and suburban "state champs" but they would then play in a bowl game

Per the FHSAA website, here are the enrollment numbers for each classification.  As you can see, once you get past Class 1,  the student populations start to skew in favor of the Metro classes.  For example, the largest class 3S team would be one of the smaller 3M teams.  

WHAT ARE THE ENROLLMENT NUMBERS FOR EACH CLASSIFICATION?
Metro:
1M: 103-600
2M: 601-1,666
3M: 1,667-2,329 
4M: 2,330-4,843

Suburban:
1S: 65-600
2S: 601-1,445
3S: 1,446-1,895 
4S: 1,896-3,226

Rural:
1R: 133-600

Another thought:  if you added the proverbial "one more week," the Class championships would start to feel like Regional titles.  Call them what you will, but in my view, it wouldn't really feel like a team has one a "state championship" if they had to play one more game against another team from Florida and ended up losing it. 

Just my two cents'. 

Maybe Florida could copy California and have an "Open Division" championship game after all the classification championships have been decided.   A committee of 7 prominent posters from this site could identify the top 2 teams in the state, regardless of classification, and have them meet at a neutral site for the overall "state championship".

15 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Maybe Florida could copy California and have an "Open Division" championship game after all the classification championships have been decided.   A committee of 7 prominent posters from this site could identify the top 2 teams in the state, regardless of classification, and have them meet at a neutral site for the overall "state championship".

I like that idea.  

Let's see, we'd start out with one vote for Columbia, one vote for Venice, one vote for Osceola, one vote for Apopka, one vote for Dillard, one vote for Lakeland, and one vote for Madison . . . regardless of whether or not these teams won their classification championships!     :P

24 minutes ago, Perspective said:

I like that idea.  

Let's see, we'd start out with one vote for Columbia, one vote for Venice, one vote for Osceola, one vote for Apopka, one vote for Dillard, one vote for Lakeland, and one vote for Madison . . . regardless of whether or not these teams won their classification championships!     :P

Yeah, I know more sarcasm so no need to educate me on your post as I was thinking the exact same thing.  However, just to be clear as previously stated I believe Osceola ranks in the top 10% in the state not the 1%.  So no they would not be getting my vote to compete with the likes of Central, Chaminade, AHP, etc...  That is a completely different animal. 

17 hours ago, Dr. D said:

Sarcasm aside, I actually like the idea. Although, it's a shoo-in this year as the winner of Miami Central vs AHP in 2M will represent the state as the best team in Florida, and maybe the best team in the nation as well!

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Sarcasm aside, I actually like the idea. Although, it's a shoo-in this year as the winner of Miami Central vs AHP in 2M will represent the state as the best team in Florida, and maybe the best team in the nation as well!

To quote Lee Corso, " Not so fast my friend."  Chaminade-Madonna is undefeated and beat AH-P  42-34 this season...better recognize   :)

Seriously, the CIF uses a committee to identify the two teams to play in the California Open Division Championship (St. John Bosco vs. San Mateo Serra).  Surely Florida could do the same, either through the FHSAA, media, coaches, or some combination thereof.  Select the two top teams, regardless of classification, after the classification championships are completed and play on the following Saturday.  One game, maybe not a true state champion, but pretty darn close.  

By the way, California plays 15 championship games, with roughly 2100 teams competing.  So they give out a lot of trophies too.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:00 AM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Pretty sure Chaminade-Madonna will get a shot at Bishop Gorman in the Geico.   If they win they might get a bump.   I'd love to see Chaminade, MC, STA, and maybe Lakeland duke it out though.    Doesn't feel right to have Lakeland and STA near the top and not be able to add to their rivalry.   

15 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Pretty sure Chaminade-Madonna will get a shot at Bishop Gorman in the Geico.   If they win they might get a bump.   I'd love to see Chaminade, MC, STA, and maybe Lakeland duke it out though.    Doesn't feel right to have Lakeland and STA near the top and not be able to add to their rivalry.   

Miami Central should get a shot at Saint John Bosco to determine the true national champion.

9 hours ago, 954gator said:

Doesn't feel right to have Lakeland and STA near the top and not be able to add to their rivalry.   

It's almost like the folks from Polk County wanted it that way . . . why else would the FHSAA have switched from "population" to "population density" when determining the 10 counties that would be grouped together in the Metro division?  By making this subtle switch, Polk ended up in Suburban instead of Metro, thereby avoiding the south Florida teams in the playoffs. 

Or maybe that's just the conspiracy theorist in me.   B)

34 minutes ago, Perspective said:

It's almost like the folks from Polk County wanted it that way . . . why else would the FHSAA have switched from "population" to "population density" when determining the 10 counties that would be grouped together in the Metro division?  By making this subtle switch, Polk ended up in Suburban instead of Metro, thereby avoiding the south Florida teams in the playoffs. 

Actually it would have been Lee County that ended up in metro not Polk

Ironically Lee County had 2 people voting in their favor and Seminole county has zero

4 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

California teams aren't permitted to play in any games after the post season. If all the state games were being played next week it would be Central playing in the Geico game 

That's a stupid rule. Further illustrates that the top California schools want no part of STA, Central, AHP, or CMD.

1 hour ago, KeemD321 said:

I'm hoping Chaminade pulls away in the second half against BG 

Chaminade will be too much for Gorman, now that Mater Dei is out of the picture it's up to Central or Chaminade to take home the National Championship. Gorman already lost to Mater Dei, so that should take them out of the running.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:02 AM, Perspective said:

Even "IF" that were true, Lee County leads Polk in population and density.  However to your point, there's no way Seminole should've been included and Lee/Polk left out.  @DisabledAccount got that correct.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:47 PM, Dr. D said:

Seriously, the CIF uses a committee to identify the two teams to play in the California Open Division Championship (St. John Bosco vs. San Mateo Serra).  Surely Florida could do the same, either through the FHSAA, media, coaches, or some combination thereof.  Select the two top teams, regardless of classification, after the classification championships are completed and play on the following Saturday.  One game, maybe not a true state champion, but pretty darn close.  

By the way, California plays 15 championship games, with roughly 2100 teams competing.  So they give out a lot of trophies too.

Cali has a lot of championship games but when compared to Florida, their ratio is a hell of a lot better.  The Sunshine state needs to do better.  Too many damn classes.

21 minutes ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Even "IF" that were true, Lee County leads Polk in population and density.  However to your point, there's no way Seminole should've been included and Lee/Polk left out.  @DisabledAccount got that correct.

So, no disrespect to Lee County (well, OK, maybe just a little), but why did it matter to them whether they were in Metro or Suburban?  Was it really going to make a difference?    B)