4S Title Game: Venice vs. Lakeland (Saturday 12/17 1:00)

Perspective

Is this a Classic game just waiting to happen?   Will it be a shoot-out or will one team's defense stand tall?  I think this might be one of the best games of the nine (along with Apopka/Columbus) in terms of the game staying close and being in doubt until the final whistle.   And it features two teams that revel in their home field advantage, but playing in an unfamiliar environment.   Who brings the bigger crowd?   Oh, and who wins the game? 

2 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Is this a Classic game just waiting to happen?   Will it be a shoot-out or will one team's defense stand tall?  I think this might be one of the best games of the nine (along with Apopka/Columbus) in terms of the game staying close and being in doubt until the final whistle.   And it features two teams that revel in their home field advantage, but playing in an unfamiliar environment.   Who brings the bigger crowd?   Oh, and who wins the game? 

Both programs have been here before so home field won't be that much of an issue.  How close this game will be comes down to penalties and mistakes.  With that being said....

12 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Both programs have been here before so home field won't be that much of an issue.  How close this game will be comes down to penalties and mistakes.  With that being said....

The guru of the running game is Castle. Dreads success will b that. When they torched Aquinas in the finals with about 1000 yds on the “stiff” STA D, they never looked back. That’s with a NFL HOF running the D!!!! Peacock ain’t nobodies bridesmaid. He’ll have the Indians play their best game. Their special teams are usually stellar. If they win it might come that way……I’ll b there(IN GREEN!!!!)

11 hours ago, Jullian said:

The guru of the running game is Castle. Dreads success will b that. When they torched Aquinas in the finals with about 1000 yds on the “stiff” STA D, they never looked back. That’s with a NFL HOF running the D!!!! Peacock ain’t nobodies bridesmaid. He’ll have the Indians play their best game. Their special teams are usually stellar. If they win it might come that way……I’ll b there(IN GREEN!!!!)

Green with Envy my friend!? :D

Again, a bit of sarcasm as well as driving home a point?:lol:  Don't know how the weather will affect either team, but in looking at their only common opponent (Clearwater Academy) Venice loss 26-20 whereas Lakeland seemed to steamroll them 44-6 as they have everyone else.   Venice has been prone to give up more points against good opponents like Buchholz (35), Northwestern (32) while I leave out a national power like SFA.  So when talking about defenses it appears to me that Lakeland does have a clear edge and have to agree with Nulli that only bunches of penalties, turnovers, etc.. will keep the game close.  Not big on predictions but if Naughts are dialed in it the margin will be double digits.  Good luck to both squads and do hope it is a great game.

Much as I predicted, Venice defense just not good enough to control Lakeland running game and if not for the 3 TO's and numerous penalties they lose by 3 scores.  They could of easily punched in another score at the end to win by double digits but Castle showed class and just took a knee.  On the flipside the supposed high powered offense of Venice was made to look feeble against the Lakeland "D".  No question who was the better team. 

Just now, Ray Icaza said:

Much as I predicted, Venice defense just not good enough to control Lakeland running game and if not for the 3 TO's and numerous penalties they lose by 3 scores.  They could of easily punched in another score at the end to win by double digits but Castle showed class and just took a knee.  On the flipside the supposed high powered offense of Venice was made to look feeble against the Lakeland "D".  No question who was the better team. 

Congrats to Polk County with 2 Championships.  Must be that black and orange in the water. :D

23 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Wow Ray we agreed on something!:o

In all honesty good call, Venice thought a "6 man front" would be what the doctor ordered for stopping the Lakeland offense and it actually played into the Dreadnaughts hands.

Bill Castle power football was still able to run the Indians into the ground and they apparently forgot about the Lakeland WRs who stole their cookies back in May.

Your Kowboys were able to shut down the Naughts passing game and Venice thought they would be able to do the same. It really exposed a bad game plan by Peacock and staff.

23 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

Wow Ray we agreed on something!:o

In all honesty good call, Venice thought a "6 man front" would be what the doctor ordered for stopping the Lakeland offense and it actually played into the Dreadnaughts hands.

Bill Castle power football was still able to run the Indians into the ground and they apparently forgot about the Lakeland WRs who stole their cookies back in May.

Your Kowboys were able to shut down the Naughts passing game and Venice thought they would be able to do the same. It really exposed a bad game plan by Peacock and staff.

Peacock put together the plan that gave them their best chance for success, but simply didn't have the horses to control the run.  The Venice 5* edge guy is a terrific player, great at attacking the pocket on passing downs but not a disruptive force against the run.  Just turn on the game film and watch the difference vs the run comparing him against our 4* John Walker; difference is night and day.   Stats are posted and Lakeland gained a total of 157 yards on the ground against our front with over 60 coming on 1 play.  This despite losing our senior 3 year starter at DT next to Walker for both the Vero game and the Lakeland game where we were using a 3rd string sophomore due to the 2nd string tackle also having suffered an elbow injury.   Venice's secondary has a great kid in Elliott but  doesn't have the total secondary we do as we only gave up 38 passing yards in the same semi's.  As it usually comes down to you can scheme all you want but if you don't have the Jimmies and the Joes it makes it tough sledding.  Thought Venice played as well as they hoped just couldn't make up the talent gap. 

50 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

As it usually comes down to you can scheme all you want but if you don't have the Jimmies and the Joes it makes it tough sledding. 

Agree 100%, but the noise coming out of Venice the last 2 weeks was their "scheme" would get the job done. Reality set it when he could no longer chase the refs down the sideline after every play screaming for a tough foul.

Lakeland/Osceola was clearly the defacto 4S State championship game. 

The Kowboys return a strong 2024/2025 class and could be the early favorite going into the 2023 season.

21 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

Agree 100%, but the noise coming out of Venice the last 2 weeks was their "scheme" would get the job done. Reality set it when he could no longer chase the refs down the sideline after every play screaming for a tough foul.

The Kowboys return a strong 2024/2025 class and could be the early favorite going into the 2023 season.

I am not on Twitter, IG, FB or other social media listening to whatever chatter may have been coming out of Venice.  My prediction for this game was strictly based on what my own eyes were telling me. With regard to the defacto championship game I will say Osceola is the only team Lakeland faced all year that could matchup talent wise.  Naughts had more depth overall but you can only put 11 on the field at a time and in that scenario we matched up.  I will admit bias, but in my humble opinion John Walker (#55) is the best defensive tackle in the entire state and we won't easily replace him or a bunch of other seniors on the defensive side of the ball so that will be a challenge for next year.  We do have three excellent LB's returning plus some young DL talent but they won't be the dominant force this group has been for the past 3 years.   On offense we will be blessed returning the entire OL but for 1 four year starter so the running game will be even better as the entire RB group returns plus Gunner at QB.    As always, time will tell but the expectations do not change. 

1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

Is Venice known for chasing officials down after every play arguing for fouls? 

1 hour ago, Jambun82 said:

Is Venice known for chasing officials down after every play arguing for fouls? 

Is that a serious question?

Obvious you missed the 4S title game yesterday and other Venice games.  Check the replay when you get a chance.

This will be my only comment on his antics, but someone or something has given him the impression that he can intimidate the boys in stripes. Yesterday was ridiculous and he got a few 15-yard penalties to go his way that were not personal fouls.

To make matters worse, late in the game Lakeland QB was clearly hit out of bounds on Venice sideline but for some odd reason the yellow flags did not fly at that point

1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

Obvious you missed the 4S title game yesterday and other Venice games.  Check the replay when you get a chance.

This will be my only comment on his antics, but someone or something has given him the impression that he can intimidate the boys in stripes. Yesterday was ridiculous and he got a few 15-yard penalties to go his way that were not personal fouls.

To make matters worse, late in the game Lakeland QB was clearly hit out of bounds on Venice sideline but for some odd reason the yellow flags did not fly at that point

Where is the evidence of this?

2 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

Yes, I was not able to view the Lakeland vs Venice game because I had to work. I am hoping to watch the game within a week or so, if Spectrum Sports still has the videos on their website.  

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

two good teams and a fairly close game

can we just back to six classes already? I know the panhandle hates it but maybe they can skew the #s so teams in suburban areas can play down one class? This would make 5A or 4A predominantly panhandle and suburban teams.

We're not going back to 2002, lol.