Ranking the State Champs

LetsGo

only 2 games remain so here’s my ranking of the state champs.. would love to see some of these teams schedule each other next year…

Champ Rankings 

1) Miami Central 

2) Chaminade 

3) St Thomas 

4) Cocoa 

5) Lake Wales

6) FBA

7) Hawthorne  

wish list for next years regular season games of state champs 

Cocoa Vs Lake Wales 

St Thomas/Chaminade vs Miami Central 

FBA vs Hawthorne 

4S vs 4M champ…who will it be? 

3 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

Why not have all the state champs play a tournament to see who the final real state champion is?

Nice thought, but the FHSAA would never allow it because it would undercut their premise that metro and suburban schools should compete for separate championships.  We can only dream...

On 12/18/2022 at 7:50 PM, Manatee Magic said:

Why not have all the state champs play a tournament to see who the final real state champion is?

On 12/18/2022 at 11:33 PM, Dr. D said:

Nice thought, but the FHSAA would never allow it because it would undercut their premise that metro and suburban schools should compete for separate championships.  We can only dream...

Also, if a tournament were to be played between the class champs to determine 1 true winner, you might as well have 1 class for the entire state and cut the formalities.  We all know that won't happen.

2 hours ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Also, if a tournament were to be played between the class champs to determine 1 true winner, you might as well have 1 class for the entire state and cut the formalities.  We all know that won't happen.

Could have the metro and suburban champs play their class equivalent for the overall. 1S v 1M 2S v 2M etc. Have those games played in Orlando. 2 games on Friday and 2 on Saturday 

12 hours ago, KeemD321 said:

Could have the metro and suburban champs play their class equivalent for the overall. 1S v 1M 2S v 2M etc. Have those games played in Orlando. 2 games on Friday and 2 on Saturday 

Again, people have to remember that while Metro and Suburban are both divided up into four classifications, the school population numbers in the corresponding classes are not equal.  1S and 1M are fairly equal, but from that point on, the Metro classes all have higher student populations to pull from.   So, while it sounds fair to say 2S vs. 2M, 3S vs. 3M and 4S vs. 4M, the Metro classes will all be filled with a number of schools that have a larger population than the largest school in the corresponding Suburban class. 

For those advocating an 8-team tournament of state champions, you're adding 3 more weeks to the calendar.  With traditional seeding, you'd have 4S and 4M teams playing 1S and 1M teams.  I'd expect to see a lot of blow-outs in those games.  the 2S/M vs. 3S/M games would be more competitive with some of the "2" teams prevailing.  But you'd have games continuing on beyond Christmas into the new year.   Smaller schools would suffer, as kids would have to make a choice between continuing football or taking off their cleats and putting on their kicks for basketball season. 

so, pick a number between 1 and 9 . . . how many "state champions" should the State of Florida have for high school football? 

3 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Again, people have to remember that while Metro and Suburban are both divided up into four classifications, the school population numbers in the corresponding classes are not equal.  1S and 1M are fairly equal, but from that point on, the Metro classes all have higher student populations to pull from.   So, while it sounds fair to say 2S vs. 2M, 3S vs. 3M and 4S vs. 4M, the Metro classes will all be filled with a number of schools that have a larger population than the largest school in the corresponding Suburban class. 

For those advocating an 8-team tournament of state champions, you're adding 3 more weeks to the calendar.  With traditional seeding, you'd have 4S and 4M teams playing 1S and 1M teams.  I'd expect to see a lot of blow-outs in those games.  the 2S/M vs. 3S/M games would be more competitive with some of the "2" teams prevailing.  But you'd have games continuing on beyond Christmas into the new year.   Smaller schools would suffer, as kids would have to make a choice between continuing football or taking off their cleats and putting on their kicks for basketball season. 

so, pick a number between 1 and 9 . . . how many "state champions" should the State of Florida have for high school football? 

Definitely not advocating for a tournament of champions. But for correlated champs playing. I get the enrollment difference but most teams play bigger teams in the regular season already. They could also do an open division as well for those teams who are considered upper echelon 

There are several options, none of which I am married to.  For example, the California Interscholastic Federation uses a committee to select the two teams for its Open Division Championship.  So the FHSAA could do the same thing.  Or you could use a media panel, or coaches panel, or some combination thereof.  You could go the computer ranking approach -- MaxPreps, Florida Power Rankings (if you carried them through the playoffs), etc.  Or some composite ranking like the BCS used to do for college football.  The point is there are a number of options which could be adapted to identify the top two teams at the end of the classification championships.  Not to be snarky, but I would trust Joshua Wilson to pick the top two teams in the state.  (My previous suggestion of a panel of 7 prominent posters from this site may be a bit far-fetched).  I like the human element, so I would probably recommend a committee of 5-7, consisting of coaches, media, and FHSAA representative using their eyeballs and some metric tools.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:53 AM, Dr. D said:

Just one final game, open to all.  This year, Miami Central vs. St Thomas or Chaminade (had they not played BG).  Let all others rest on their laurels.

Seeing what Bishop Gorman did to Chaminade Madonna is all I needed to see so them playing Central is pointless. Now Central and St. Thomas is a match I'd like to see. If I'm not mistaken they've played before but once in 2018. Central won 43-27 at St. Thomas 

8 hours ago, FBGUY1989 said:

Seeing what Bishop Gorman did to Chaminade Madonna is all I needed to see so them playing Central is pointless. Now Central and St. Thomas is a match I'd like to see. If I'm not mistaken they've played before but once in 2018. Central won 43-27 at St. Thomas 

I am always confused on why more of the south Florida powers don't play each other, specifically St. Thomas Aquinas. Why don't they play Central, Northwestern, Carol City, American Heritage (Plantation), Columbus, Cardinal Gibbons more often or regularly?
Don't get me wrong, they bring in or travel to some top teams, but I would think, they could do that locally as well. 

Is it STA that is ducking Miami Central or vice versa?

8 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

I am always confused on why more of the south Florida powers don't play each other, specifically St. Thomas Aquinas. Why don't they play Central, Northwestern, Carol City, American Heritage (Plantation), Columbus, Cardinal Gibbons more often or regularly?
Don't get me wrong, they bring in or travel to some top teams, but I would think, they could do that locally as well. 

Is it STA that is ducking Miami Central or vice versa?

Central and St. Thomas played each other in 2018 and Central won at St. Thomas 43-27. But I do agree with you. Have you noticed St. Thomas hasn't played IMG Academy I mean what's the hold up

How dare you people suggest a suburban team playong a big bad boy metro team.  That’s blasphemy.  We don’t need to have a tournament among both classes.  We all know who would win. 89% of the state champs would be metro.  9 classifications is a joke.  Wholes split idea devalued suburb champs and you can’t say the truth that I am right.  We will keep this crappy regular season blowout festival and let those fake suburb champs claim a trophy again next year. MKe it a little smaller since it’s the minor league. By the way central wins state crown easily this year rest irrelevant 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

How did Suburban Venice beat 3 metro teams back to back to back to win the title last year? How is that possible? And not just beat them, beat ‘em like a rented mule? Not a bought and paid for mule. A rented one 

Kinda how lil ole Suburban Cocoa beat bigger metro teams last year, lost to that Venice squad by 1 and had chances to win the title against the only metro team to be that very same Venice team.

Venice was an outlier and wanted to be in metro and petitioned and was denied. They knew suburb side is minor leagues. All the supporters whines that metro won 89% of trike so just using their reasoning.  We wil get same teams winning all 9 divisions so new system helped about 12 teams I. Suburb  to have a shot to win state instead of semis in old system. But tons of schools crammed into  4 divisions who don’t cheat get screwed in both suburb and metro which got us blowout festival in regular season. 

1 hour ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Venice was an outlier and wanted to be in metro and petitioned and was denied. They knew suburb side is minor leagues. All the supporters whines that metro won 89% of trike so just using their reasoning.  We wil get same teams winning all 9 divisions so new system helped about 12 teams I. Suburb  to have a shot to win state instead of semis in old system. But tons of schools crammed into  4 divisions who don’t cheat get screwed in both suburb and metro which got us blowout festival in regular season. 

Venice wasn't the only school