New change

nolebull813

If someone already posted this please forgive me I didn’t see it so I’m not trying to steal your idea. But it seems like it would work for everyone. 

There are roughly 500 teams playing in the FHSAA districts. Create 5 classes with 100 per class, 16 districts per class and 5-8 teams per district depending on distance. 

Classify them by enrollment like it always has been, but the only difference will be if you acquire 5 football transfers, then you are required to play in an “open division playoff”  against other teams with 5+ football transfers. 

It would force all the “football factories” to compete in the same bracket while keeping the integrity and fair play amongst the typical high school team in tact. 

what say you?

5 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

If someone already posted this please forgive me I didn’t see it so I’m not trying to steal your idea. But it seems like it would work for everyone. 

There are roughly 500 teams playing in the FHSAA districts. Create 5 classes with 100 per class, 16 districts per class and 5-8 teams per district depending on distance. 

Classify them by enrollment like it always has been, but the only difference will be if you acquire 5 football transfers, then you are required to play in an “open division playoff”  against other teams with 5+ football transfers. 

It would force all the “football factories” to compete in the same bracket while keeping the integrity and fair play amongst the typical high school team in tact. 

what say you?

Funny, I was working on something similar to this last night but it's only 1 class, 7-8 teams per district for the entire state based solely on geography. I'll post the breakdown later on this evening.

1 hour ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Funny, I was working on something similar to this last night but it's only 1 class, 7-8 teams per district for the entire state based solely on geography. I'll post the breakdown later on this evening.

I made this a year ago if it is any help to you.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/paul.kelly7601/viz/FloridaHSFootballRatingsandGeolocations2/Dashboard1

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

If someone already posted this, please forgive me I didn’t see it so I’m not trying to steal your idea. But it seems like it would work for everyone. 

Classify them by enrollment like it always has been, but the only difference will be if you acquire 5 football transfers, then you are required to play in an “open division playoff” against other teams with 5+ football transfers. 

It would force all the “football factories” to compete in the same bracket while keeping the integrity and fair play amongst the typical high school team intact. 

what say you?

Not to be contrarian, but are you referring only to "out-of-zone" transfers, or are you including what I call "good faith" transfers which the FHSAA allows?  I'm tracking with you on the underlying concept otherwise.

25 minutes ago, anonimis said:

Thank you!  What I have now is a rough draft but it was certainly a pain to look up exact location school by school.  This is a tremendous help.  

19 minutes ago, Dr. D said:

Not to be contrarian, but are you referring only to "out-of-zone" transfers, or are you including what I call "good faith" transfers which the FHSAA allows?  I'm tracking with you on the underlying concept otherwise.

Im talking about transfer in the sense you played varsity football for at least one year prior to your new school 

This would be similar to promotion relegation because all the elite teams would be in the open division. It should include open enrollment transfers even at freshmen level too.  You get five or more , welcome to elite division. It would never happen because elite teams who cheat live acting like they are all that beating up non cheating teams. 

1 hour ago, nolebull813 said:

Im talking about transfer in the sense you played varsity football for at least one year prior to your new school 

What about kids whose families actually move into the school district in question and may just be "average" high school players? If they are counted as a part of the 5 transfers, some coaches that routinely recruit top players may not allow these average players to "make" the varsity. I agree your concept is good if it includes only those transfers whose immediate families continue to reside outside the boundaries of the new school.

4 minutes ago, Floridaatlantic1 said:

Only have one true state champ in elite divisions and call rest consolation division. 

That wouldn't be fair to smaller schools, especially those that don't "cater" to elite athletes. If those kids at non-recruiting" schools win a state championship game, they probably deserve the designation more than the "bought" teams.

Nolebull, define a "football transfer."  Would that include someone whose family moved in from across the county/state/country?   What about someone who lives in a particular school's district, but started out at another school, for whatever reasons, and then decides to attend the school in the district they live in?  Could a school/coach cut a kid because they're already at their limit of 5 transfers and they don't want to get bumped up into the open division playoffs?  Could the school let in #5, but then tell #2 he can't play so that they're back down to only four? 

On 12/28/2022 at 3:37 PM, nolebull813 said:

what say you?

I'm torn.  Let me counter with this question.  Looking at this past season, how many schools that had a mass influx of transfers didn't win a title?  How many didn't even make the playoffs?

On 12/28/2022 at 3:37 PM, nolebull813 said:

what say you?

so if Leto got five transfers, so they went 2-8 you’d have them in the open division?

I think the problem is not all transfers are equal and this why this idea doesn't work as it suggests that all transfers are equal and they aren't. There is difference between an All-Area kid 3 year starter transferring from an average team to a powerhouse versus a 2nd or 3rd stringer who nobody has ever heard of transferring to a school to get more playing time. While we get frustrated by all transfers, I think the first transfer is the one that frustrates us more and those are the transfers that we are really talking about when we say we want to "limit" them. 

Honestly, I don't think the FHSAA is in any position to truly stop these type of transfers, unless there is outright recruiting by the head coach or staff. It would require the Florida Department of Education to go after teaching licenses or something of that vain. 

One of the reasons why a promotion/relegation system might work is that if you are that kid transferring to Leto (as @181pl suggests), and you still go 2-8, who cares. You got more playing time, but you didn't throw off the competitive balance.