4S favorites for 2023

Nulli Secundus

Osceola is the slight favorite right now in my opinion.  That 2025 RB is the real deal, and they got dudes on the OLine. QB play needs to get much better though.

If you listen to those folk in SW Fla they are already saying " We'll be back".

Considering what is, or isn't in that region, they should be back. We can also expect quite a few roster "additions" between now and then.

The "Program" is in transition for the 1st time in most fans lifetime, so we will have to wait and see where that goes.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

Maybe not. :o

Edgewater looked in mid season form for a half where they dominated Osceola. Osceola made adjustments in the second half, and Edgewater committed numerous penalties and bad snaps and the second half was a lot different. 

Edgewater is very talented. If they make necessary improvements over the summer, they will compete for the 3M title. I would not write off Osceola because of the loss tonight. They were up against a very talented team but made good adjustments in the second half. With normal development over the summer they will still be a threat in 4S. 

On balance Edgewater did get the best of Osceola, but the score wasn't indicative as 10-point lead in the 1st quarter were while the 2's were playing.  They were also gifted another TD with a fumble down near the red zone. Our starting WR playing the role of QB also threw a pick as well as missed several throws as the return of Gunner at QB did not materialized as he will focus on just wrestling his senior year.  Overall, a sloppy game by both teams as you pointed out the errors by Edgewater but zero turnovers vs our two.  Threw a bunch of youngsters in the fire and they steadily got better as the game went on.  We finally will have a "REAL" QB after school ends with his family moving into our area from North Florida which should make a huge difference the way we will look offensively.  Finally, Taevion played only 2 quarters (1st-JV) sitting out the entire 4 quarter to give several Freshmen some looks at RB.  I think our staff got out of the game what they wanted.  We will be extremely happy if the pundits write us off after this game. 

If I had to put the top 10 4S contenders in order, I would have it like this:

1. Lakeland

2. Osceola

3. Venice

4. Buccholz

5. Bartram Trail

6. Treasure Coast

7. Manatee

8. Vero Beach

9. Martin County

10. Melbourne

With Sarasota, Riverview, and Harmony being potential sleeping giants.

Sarasota is racing full steam ahead in the right direction. Riverview could win this district over Venice with their returning defense. Nobody gave Harmony a chance last season until they went into Vero Beach and nearly pulled the upset of the year. 4S is just a very loaded classification from top-to-bottom. 

1 minute ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

If I had to put the top 10 4S contenders in order, I would have it like this:

1. Lakeland

2. Osceola

3. Venice

4. Buccholz

5. Bartram Trail

6. Treasure Coast

7. Manatee

8. Vero Beach

9. Martin County

10. Melbourne

With Sarasota, Riverview, and Harmony being potential sleeping giants.

Sarasota is racing full steam ahead in the right direction. Riverview could win this district over Venice with their returning defense. Nobody gave Harmony a chance last season until they went into Vero Beach and nearly pulled the upset of the year. 4S is just a very loaded classification from top-to-bottom. 

Harmony lost a lot thru graduation plus their long tenured HC.  Most likely a rebuild year for them. 

2 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

The reports I received back that up

E-Water is long overdue, maybe they get that title this year.

If they make it that far, they will likely need to beat St. Thomas. To beat Aquinas, they will need to minimize penalties and mistakes. It is possible they accomplish this, but I am not sure if that's likely. 

10 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

On balance Edgewater did get the best of Osceola, but the score wasn't indicative as 10-point lead in the 1st quarter were while the 2's were playing.  They were also gifted another TD with a fumble down near the red zone. Our starting WR playing the role of QB also threw a pick as well as missed several throws as the return of Gunner at QB did not materialized as he will focus on just wrestling his senior year.  Overall, a sloppy game by both teams as you pointed out the errors by Edgewater but zero turnovers vs our two.  Threw a bunch of youngsters in the fire and they steadily got better as the game went on.  We finally will have a "REAL" QB after school ends with his family moving into our area from North Florida which should make a huge difference the way we will look offensively.  Finally, Taevion played only 2 quarters (1st-JV) sitting out the entire 4 quarter to give several Freshmen some looks at RB.  I think our staff got out of the game what they wanted.  We will be extremely happy if the pundits write us off after this game. 

Spot on, the loss of Gunner suprised me, couldn't get anything going on Offense with the WR at QB.

Edgewater Defense was smart and focused on neutralizing the running game (Taevion) with bodies all in and around the box.

This is where the North Florida Qb (A.P) will help spread defenses out and open holes for Taevion who i see having another huge year!

Suprisingly D line was the weakpoint to me, which is usually a strong point for Osceola.

Im sure Coach V will get that group turned around and ready.

Alot of good reps for younger guys this spring, the gauntlet schedule will show us how good this team really is.

11 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

The reports I received back that up

E-Water is long overdue, maybe they get that title this year.

Their JV definitely was dominant as they moved the ball at will against us while we had several consecutive three and outs.  That produce a 10-0 lead when the varsity took over.  On the ensuing KO of the second quarter we mishandled an exchange on a sweep and they stripped the freshman slot receiver of the ball and took possession around our 20 yard line.  I believed they scored on a pass play right after that to take a 17-0 lead early in the second.  Later in the game they lost their starting QB from an injury and from that point on the game was pretty much evenly played, but us moving the ball on the ground much better than earlier in the game.  Not making excuses, but as I previously pointed out we used a WR at QB with a short spring practice schedule to work at the position.   Both teams only scored once each for the remainder of the game with us deciding to keep Taevion out the entire 4th quarter.  Credit to Edgewater as they have excellent team speed and will definitely be a force but reports from someone not knowing we played without a QB the entire game can be misleading as to what we will look like in the fall.  

If I remember the rules right, the FHSAA considers Spring Football to be an extension of Fall Football, so only kids who were around in the fall can play in the spring game (excluding seniors, of course).   Given all the other changes, if a kid transfers to a school at the end of the first semester, why shouldn't that kid be able to go through spring practice and play in the spring game with his new team?  

Ray, was this the case with the kid that you expect to be your QB in the fall?  Is he already at Osceola?  If so, he should have been able to practice and play in the spring game. 

2 hours ago, ohs vargas said:

Spot on, the loss of Gunner suprised me, couldn't get anything going on Offense with the WR at QB.

Edgewater Defense was smart and focused on neutralizing the running game (Taevion) with bodies all in and around the box.

This is where the North Florida Qb (A.P) will help spread defenses out and open holes for Taevion who i see having another huge year!

Suprisingly D line was the weakpoint to me, which is usually a strong point for Osceola.

Im sure Coach V will get that group turned around and ready.

Alot of good reps for younger guys this spring, the gauntlet schedule will show us how good this team really is.

Yep, youth in the D-line showed especially vs their big back Shields-Dutton with many opportunities to get him on the ground and not doing so.  But as you point out those 9th and 10th graders got lots of reps which is what they need being talented but green.  It will take a few more games in the fall before they start holding their own.  The 9th grader that did stand out and pressured the QB (1 sack) consistently was DE Blaze Jones.  Plus the QB transfer is currently rated in the top 10 of the 2026 class in Florida ahead of Michael Clayton, the starter for Edgewater.  Again, time will tell.

15 minutes ago, Perspective said:

If I remember the rules right, the FHSAA considers Spring Football to be an extension of Fall Football, so only kids who were around in the fall can play in the spring game (excluding seniors, of course).   Given all the other changes, if a kid transfers to a school at the end of the first semester, why shouldn't that kid be able to go through spring practice and play in the spring game with his new team?  

Ray, was this the case with the kid that you expect to be your QB in the fall?  Is he already at Osceola?  If so, he should have been able to practice and play in the spring game. 

He has been homeschooled this past school year and the state testing requirements are such for promotion to the next grade level which complicates that type of transfer late in the school year.  He and his brother recently passed that test and the family just finished the relocation process.  He now will be here during the summer to have voluntary work outs with the receiving core which I think will be quite good.  Putting Reynolds back to WR instead of QB, with Jenkins (9th) in the slot and the other receivers will provide him with plenty of targets. 

6 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

We get it Ray, the real score was 14-7 EW, and when your star QB is playing it will be 28-7 KO.

As I said months ago this is the year of the Kowboys.

Maybe, I think they have a good nucleus to challenge for the next two years.   I know my view has a perceived biased opinion of the game last night, but last year when we won 28-21 against Edgewater at our house I called the game even since the early 7-point lead was established by our JV.  Think my analysis was fair last year as well as this year. 

2 hours ago, OHS_Kboys said:

I agree! Definitely not the favorites. 

So Osceola returning Gunner, arguably the best offensive line in the state + an extremely versatile running back in Taeivon Swint just suddenly means nothing? They’re going to be extremely tough to stop in the playoffs. The Kowboys should be favored until proven otherwise. 

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

So Osceola returning Gunner, arguably the best offensive line in the state + an extremely versatile running back in Taeivon Swint just suddenly means nothing? They’re going to be extremely tough to stop in the playoffs. The Kowboys should be favored until proven otherwise. 

No Gunner Holland, he is focusing only on wrestling his senior year.  Will have an excellent OL but claim to be the best in the state is fairly hyperbolic at this stage. 

2 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Lakeland and Venice played for it all this past season and will be the favorite in 4S. The Swint kid is a decent back, but outside of him they are unproven.

33 minutes ago, OHS_Kboys said:

Lakeland and Venice played for it all this past season and will be the favorite in 4S. The Swint kid is a decent back, but outside of him they are unproven.

Venice isn’t even guaranteed to make it out of their region this season. Nothing makes Venice fans bang their heads against the wall more than a loaded Manatee team. And they have all the defensive pieces they need to shut our offense down.  I am not relishing having to face them, potentially at Hawkins Stadium in round 3 with a trip to the final four on the line. 

16 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

No Gunner Holland, he is focusing only on wrestling his senior year.  Will have an excellent OL but claim to be the best in the state is fairly hyperbolic at this stage. 

How is it hyperbolic? Your entire offensive line that was so efficient last season is back except for 1 person. They might not be “consensus” number 1, but I can assure you that Osceola is NOT who I want Venice to have to face in the state semis nor in the state championship. Their o-line has a whole nother year together to get stronger and perfect their skills under Coach Pinellas. So I ask again: Why shouldn’t Kissimmee Osceola at least be in consideration for the title of “best offensive line in the state?” 

4 hours ago, VeniceIndianFan said:

How is it hyperbolic? Your entire offensive line that was so efficient last season is back except for 1 person. They might not be “consensus” number 1, but I can assure you that Osceola is NOT who I want Venice to have to face in the state semis nor in the state championship. Their o-line has a whole nother year together to get stronger and perfect their skills under Coach Pinellas. So I ask again: Why shouldn’t Kissimmee Osceola at least be in consideration for the title of “best offensive line in the state?” 

I sincerely appreciate the kind words and as I stated they will be an extremely good position group that does have experience which is huge.  I also think we are blessed with several other outstanding players on both sides of the ball. I just can't make claims that we have the "BEST" at any position not knowing enough about other teams players as there is a lot of talent in our state.  And I am sure Coach Pinellas would also want to give credit where credit is due and that OL is under the tutelage of Coach Atterberry.