STA dipping into Tampa Bay?

Perspective

5-star RB Stacy Gage apparently will be playing his senior year at the University of St. Thomas Aquinas.  Gage spent his first two years at IMG and was part of the IMG National team that won a mythical national championship Gage's sophomore year.   He then transferred to Wharton for his junior year.  He's now going across the state to play his final year at STA.  I'm trying to find out if his family moved to Ft. Lauderdale.   If not, where's the kid going to live???   He's got offers galore from all the top tier universities, but with his track record, would you trust him to stay more than a year before he hits the portal?   So many questions . . ..

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

5-star RB Stacy Gage apparently will be playing his senior year at the University of St. Thomas Aquinas.  Gage spent his first two years at IMG and was part of the IMG National team that won a mythical national championship Gage's sophomore year.   He then transferred to Wharton for his junior year.  He's now going across the state to play his final year at STA.  I'm trying to find out if his family moved to Ft. Lauderdale.   If not, where's the kid going to live???   He's got offers galore from all the top tier universities, but with his track record, would you trust him to stay more than a year before he hits the portal?   So many questions . . ..

Can anyone say the highest bidder?:D

2024 4-star QB Jadyn Glasser transfers from South Plantation to Venice. Venice's offense (on paper) right now, looks unstoppable. Best runningback duo in the country in Gator Wilder and Alvin Johnson. Probably their best returning offensive line in school history. Everyone on Venice's offensive line has at least 1 full year of varsity play under their belts. Ryan Matulevich returns. And now, a 4-star QB transfers in. The real question mark right now is the defensive line. 

1 hour ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

2024 4-star QB Jadyn Glasser transfers from South Plantation to Venice. Venice's offense (on paper) right now, looks unstoppable. Best runningback duo in the country in Gator Wilder and Alvin Johnson. Probably their best returning offensive line in school history. Everyone on Venice's offensive line has at least 1 full year of varsity play under their belts. Ryan Matulevich returns. And now, a 4-star QB transfers in. The real question mark right now is the defensive line. 

What?!?   A QB from somewhere else in the state is transferring into Venice.  I'm flabbergasted.  Shocked.  I mean, this kind of thing has never happened before . . . except for last year, and the year before that, and the year before that . . .  :P

Serious chicken and egg question, if you're willing to be honest about it.  Which came first:  did the kid's family move across state into the Venice area (job offer, family situation) or did the kid 'commit' to Venice and they're just waiting on Bentley's apartment to open up so that they can move in? 

3 hours ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Wow, for a minute there I thought Jesse had returned as I don't see who has that QB as a 4-star.  He did put up over 3000 yards last year but So. Plantation is ranked in the 320 range with a weak strength of schedule so accomplished vs weak opposition.  I wouldn't consider our local kid Sabby Meassick (9th grade from Toho) a world beater but he also passed for over 3000 yards this year, they're ranked higher at 270 but also weak competition to try to put this in "Perspective".  Also to claim those 2 RB's are the Best Duo in the Country sounds a bit over the top; maybe you meant in the County.  They certainly didn't impress vs the Naughts.  Our 10th grader (Taevion Swint) had about as many yards as those 2 combined for the year and showed out against that outstanding Lakeland front with about 125 yards in the semi's.  His upcoming side kick, only a 9th grader (Jeffrey Sinophant) had almost 300 yards in a very limited role this year but averaged over 8 yards a carry.  In my view they stack up not to mention a couple other very electric freshmen in Flash Jenkins and J. Watson who will be used in a variety of ways (WR, slot, punt return, RB, etc..).    Just a little food for thought. 

32 minutes ago, Ray Icaza said:

Wow, for a minute there..... I don't see who has that QB as a 4-star.  

That would be Venice's own star rating system.

The people that get paid to do that(247, ESPN, Rivals) has no stars next to that kid's name.

But in all fairness to him stars may bring you hype and media attention, but at the next level you are just another spot on the roster trying to get on the field.

4 hours ago, Perspective said:

What?!?   A QB from somewhere else in the state is transferring into Venice.  I'm flabbergasted.  Shocked.  I mean, this kind of thing has never happened before . . . except for last year, and the year before that, and the year before that . . .  :P

Serious chicken and egg question, if you're willing to be honest about it.  Which came first:  did the kid's family move across state into the Venice area (job offer, family situation) or did the kid 'commit' to Venice and they're just waiting on Bentley's apartment to open up so that they can move in? 

Can't tell you whether or not his family moved with him, as I do not know and will not pretend to. However, I would assume so as a 3-and-a-half-hour commute to school every day does not seem reasonable. 

33 minutes ago, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Can't tell you whether or not his family moved with him, as I do not know and will not pretend to. However, I would assume so as a 3-and-a-half-hour commute to school every day does not seem reasonable. 

VIF, I appreciate your response.   I don't expect you to throw the program you support/root for under the proverbial bus just to satisfy some anonymous poster on a message board, but I appreciate your candor.  

That said, I have a completely different reaction to news like this (the transfer of a QB to Venice or a RB to STA) depending on how the story unravels. 

First scenario (and I'll make it more generic to remove the bias):  A good high school football player lives in one county.  His mom or dad gets a new job or a promotion that requires the family to pack up and move to another county a hundred miles away.  Kid has to leave all his friends and teammates behind.  Once in the new county, and having done all their homework ahead of time, the family moves into the "right" district and picks the "best/right" school to transfer into.  The better the player, the more likely he picks a team that already is good and the rich get richer.  (I think I may have just described the scenario from earlier this year with the kid who led Jesuit to a state title last year). 

Second scenario:  A good high school football player lives in one county.  Some how or another, a coach from another county (or someone else associated with a high school football program in another county) 'reaches out' to the kid or his family and suggests that perhaps it would be in the kid's best interests to consider playing his senior year at their school.  Better coaching, better schedule, better exposure, better competition, more college coaches dropping by, etc.  And, in the grand scheme of things, it may truly be a better situation for the kid, as long as he/his family don't mind moving a hundred miles away for the better part of a year (spring football, summer 7 on 7, fall season and perhaps finishing his senior year at the new school).  But the kid really wasn't thinking about transferring until someone reached out to him and planted the seed. 

I'm perfectly OK with the first scenario.  I've seen it happen several times and it will continue to happen in the future as long as parents work for a living and want what's best for their families.  The second scenario, in my mind, stinks to high heaven, as it involves illegal recruiting in some form or fashion.  And this scenario cannot be rationalized in my mind simply because the kid is now in a "better position."  But it happens.  I know it happens.  I've seen it happen.  And it's wrong. 

Just my perspective.   

14 minutes ago, sunshine state baller said:

The Riverview 5 Star cornerback is transferring to Venice for his senior year.

The 4 Star QB 6’4 220 4.0 GPA student athlete from IMG is transferring or already enrolled at Venice.  Needed more playing time according to Peacock.

https://twitter.com/ryanwdownes14/photo

Hmmm, this could get interesting . . .   two stud QB's are both convinced to come to Venice for their senior year; both 'commit' with the expectation that they will be QB1.  But, as we all know, there can only be one QB1.   I've got to wonder if the kid who doesn't get the starting nod will have second thoughts about their decision.   And perhaps they'll scoot back to where they came from, in which case the Indian chief best hope the kid and his family stay quiet.   Hell hath no fury like a QB mom scorned.   B)

5 hours ago, LakelandGator said:

Maybe the same payroll your loud mouth coaches and fans are on

That doesn't just give you an excuse to spit on our program or avoid the question I asked. I was curious what would make you write something stupid like calling me a "cockster," (what does that even mean?) But instead of answering the question I posed, you just brought up something irrelevant to make a broad generalization about our fans and coaching staff. 

I dont know what is the point of stacking a HS team with cherry picked players from other teams?  I mean of course you will beat everybody who uses only players from their zone (that they can hang on to).  To me, the joy of high school ball is your school rises and falls depending upon the group of kids you have moving through your program any given four year period.  Once in a while you will get a very special group that puts in a run for your team that will be remembered and talked about for years.  That shit doesnt happen anymore now that teams just get transfers in.  The rich stay rich and poor stay poor.  How can you feel good about each year when its done with transfers instead of kids moving through your program?  I hate it but I know I'm preaching to the choir here but of course there are those on this board that want to win 100-0 with these transfers over your decimated team.  That part I will never understand.