Giants vs Eagles Megathread

VeniceIndianFan

Eagles-Bengals Super Bowl incoming. The Chiefs have already proven that they can't beat the Cincinatti, and that was BEFORE Mahomes hurt his leg this past game. As for the NFC, I just flat out don't know how the 49ers plan to score against the Eagle's defense. They looked unstoppable in their game against the Giants. At home, with the crowd in their favor and the team playing like it is now, Eagles should defeat San Francisco by about 10.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:57 PM, VeniceIndiansFootball said:

Eagles-Bengals Super Bowl incoming. The Chiefs have already proven that they can't beat the Cincinatti, and that was BEFORE Mahomes hurt his leg this past game. As for the NFC, I just flat out don't know how the 49ers plan to score against the Eagle's defense. They looked unstoppable in their game against the Giants. At home, with the crowd in their favor and the team playing like it is now, Eagles should defeat San Francisco by about 10.

Hahaha how bout those Chiefs!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

That was a great foul on the defensive holding penalty. I give the officials for the game a lot of credit for that. 

A great foul or a great foul call?  I'm assuming you meant the latter. 

Yes, it was a hold.  To his credit, the Philly DB (Bradberry) acknowledged that in his post-game interview.  Here's my only beef:  if memory serves me correct, it was the only holding call of the game against either team.  Playing a game where most people agree you could call holding on every play, not a single holding penalty was called on either team -- offensive or defensive -- until the final 2 minutes of the game. 

Now, you might argue that no holding calls against either team is a reflection of the two best teams in the league -- i.e., they can get the job done without committing holding penalties.   And I've seen some people suggest that KC played the "perfect second half."  KC committed four penalties in the entire game - three offside penalties against the KC defense (one of which was declined because Philly scored anyway) and one false start penalty against the KC offense.  All three of the accepted penalties occurred in the second quarter.   KC committed zero penalties in the second half.  Zero. 

Philly was flagged six times, three times in the first half and three times in the second half.  Ironically, the only pass interference penalty the entire game was called against a Philly receiver (for blocking downfield before the pass was caught).  They also had a 'hands to the face' in the  first quarter and a false start in the second quarter.  They picked up the only three penalties called in the second half -- a delay of game in the third quarter, an offside penalty early in the fourth quarter and then the defensive holding call with less than 2 minutes to play that gave the Chiefs a first down and the opportunity to run the clock down to under 10 seconds before kicking the game-winning field goal. 

So, was it a penalty?  Yeah, it probably was (even though the pass was well overthrown and likely would have been deemed uncatchable had the contact been made while the ball was in the air).  My only question is this:  was that the only time in the entire game where a defensive back tugged on a receiver's jersey or where a lineman from either team was guilty of holding?  Remember:  not a single offensive holding penalty was called.  Not one. 

Having said all that, I'm not a big fan of basketball officials 'swallowing their whistles' in the final minutes of a game and 'letting the players decide the game.'  If an action has been a foul all game long, it should still be a foul in the final minute.   So, in the that regard, I don't have a problem with the Super Bowl official throwing his flag in the final two minutes of the game . . . my only question is this:  where was that flag in the first 58 minutes of the game? 

13 hours ago, Perspective said:

A great foul or a great foul call?  I'm assuming you meant the latter. 

Yes, it was a hold.  To his credit, the Philly DB (Bradberry) acknowledged that in his post-game interview.  Here's my only beef:  if memory serves me correct, it was the only holding call of the game against either team.  Playing a game where most people agree you could call holding on every play, not a single holding penalty was called on either team -- offensive or defensive -- until the final 2 minutes of the game. 

Now, you might argue that no holding calls against either team is a reflection of the two best teams in the league -- i.e., they can get the job done without committing holding penalties.   And I've seen some people suggest that KC played the "perfect second half."  KC committed four penalties in the entire game - three offside penalties against the KC defense (one of which was declined because Philly scored anyway) and one false start penalty against the KC offense.  All three of the accepted penalties occurred in the second quarter.   KC committed zero penalties in the second half.  Zero. 

Philly was flagged six times, three times in the first half and three times in the second half.  Ironically, the only pass interference penalty the entire game was called against a Philly receiver (for blocking downfield before the pass was caught).  They also had a 'hands to the face' in the  first quarter and a false start in the second quarter.  They picked up the only three penalties called in the second half -- a delay of game in the third quarter, an offside penalty early in the fourth quarter and then the defensive holding call with less than 2 minutes to play that gave the Chiefs a first down and the opportunity to run the clock down to under 10 seconds before kicking the game-winning field goal. 

So, was it a penalty?  Yeah, it probably was (even though the pass was well overthrown and likely would have been deemed uncatchable had the contact been made while the ball was in the air).  My only question is this:  was that the only time in the entire game where a defensive back tugged on a receiver's jersey or where a lineman from either team was guilty of holding?  Remember:  not a single offensive holding penalty was called.  Not one. 

Having said all that, I'm not a big fan of basketball officials 'swallowing their whistles' in the final minutes of a game and 'letting the players decide the game.'  If an action has been a foul all game long, it should still be a foul in the final minute.   So, in the that regard, I don't have a problem with the Super Bowl official throwing his flag in the final two minutes of the game . . . my only question is this:  where was that flag in the first 58 minutes of the game? 

Calm down before you have a heart attack.