Football Advisory Committee items

Dr. D

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Again, I certainly agree with the skepticism that exists by opponents like yourself as there are plenty reasons to be skeptical of all government bodies.  I think I have exhausted my openness to try a different approach and though I know the bills I quoted have nothing to do directly with the subject at hand (NIL vs FHSAA  governing body), I used the example for a reason.  The legislature made NIL in FL a quagmire initially, but they managed to come back and rectify the situation.  Hopefully that can repeat itself in this other arena as the original sin was theirs in 2011.

Thank you Ray for this. My reading comprehension skills are not what they used to be and have been confused on how you were interpreting this bill (on this thread and the "other"). This actually clears that up for me. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, LakelandGator said:

That was my point, which you obviously didn't get.

Bottom line is that the gov and people like you are using right winged scare tactics and politics once again. 

Keep that crap out of HS sports.

Not true at all. We are a reactive society and politics is no different. Our great governor has seen what crazy ideologies have done to education and business around the country so he decided to go on the offense. This is solving an obvious problem without waiting for the worst case scenario to play out. There are men in women’s sports destroying it. Taking scholarships and championships from real women. Just because you carry an extremist ideology, doesn’t mean you are the mainstream. 

21 minutes ago, nolebull813 said:

Not true at all. We are a reactive society and politics is no different. Our great governor has seen what crazy ideologies have done to education and business around the country so he decided to go on the offense. This is solving an obvious problem without waiting for the worst case scenario to play out. There are men in women’s sports destroying it. Taking scholarships and championships from real women. Just because you carry an extremist ideology, doesn’t mean you are the mainstream. 

Is the only way to accomplish keeping biological males from competing in female sports through legislation?

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

To your point, this is from the FHSAA website: 

"A Non-Profit 501c(3) Private Corporation, the Florida High School Athletic Association was founded on April 9, 1920 by a group of 29 high school principals who met at Peabody Hall on the University of Florida campus in Gainesville. The Florida Legislature, in 1997, gave the FHSAA statutory recognition as the official governing body for interscholastic athletics in Florida."

Just a couple of observations from the above statement as it relates to the "Meddling" theme and the Florida Legislature usurping power.   Who gave the FHSAA that "Statutory Power"?  And of the 16 members that comprise the FHSAA board of directors, which board members term never expires?  Gee only one, it happens to be the Commissioner of Education (the State) and he currently already arbitrarily selects 3 other members so effectively 25% of said board is already picked by the state. 

4 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Just a couple of observations from the above statement as it relates to the "Meddling" theme and the Florida Legislature usurping power.   Who gave the FHSAA that "Statutory Power"?  And of the 16 members that comprise the FHSAA board of directors, which board members term never expires?  Gee only one, it happens to be the Commissioner of Education (the State) and he currently already arbitrarily selects 3 other members so effectively 25% of said board is already picked by the state. 

Ray,

I might be wrong but either the previous governor or current governor signed into law the current governing structure of FHSAA, before that, I do not believe the Department of Education (Commissioner) had any say. Private schools as a whole also had less representation than they do now.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, Perspective said:

If I were someone else on this board, I'd tell you that you owe me a debt of gratitude for educating you to the point where you now can see the light.   :D  But, that's not my shtick.   

I've only seen Plant play basketball once this year, but it was recently.  They are fundamentally sound and have a couple of good shooters, but my guess is that they will get overwhelmed by a talented/athletic team.   It could get ugly early at Winter Haven. 

One day, you might be able to claim that you are educating others and teaching lessons like I do regularly on this message board Perspective. First of all, you have a lot to learn from me, but I think that even you will admit how helpful that I have been to you, and how much smarter that you feel after I provide you with superior knowledge. You're welcome again, Perspective. 

On 2/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Perspective said:

Interesting comment.   Just curious, what did I do or say to you that now makes you feel so threatened?  

Every comment that I make is interesting, but the only thing that I am threatened by with your rambling, not able to make a stable-point, comments is falling asleep. However, you keep learning from me and leaning on my knowledge and wisdom, as you have many times on this message board., and you will keep reaping the benefits as you have many times. You're welcome again, Perspective. 

23 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Here is something that occurred to me as I thought about the bill to make FHSAA an appointed board by the governor.  The FHSAA is a voluntary organization made up of both public and private schools. The FHSAA goes back to 1920 and pre-dates the current state constitution. The FHSAA was not created by the state legislature through statute. In fact, it wasn't until the 1980s that the state legislature recognized the FHSAA as the governing body for interschoolatic sports and the language of such doesn't state that public schools have to join; it is more or less implied.  While the state legislature can mandate policy for public schools,  they cannot do so for private schools.  I would argue that given the history of the FHSAA the state legislature has no authority to dissolve or to interfere with how the FHSAA is set up. The only authority that the legislature has would be to form a new entity for public schools only.

I said the same in the now locked topic: 16805 more meddling by the state legislature.  Shout out to @Joshua Wilson for the attempt to keep it going, lol.  It became toxic very quickly and I stated (while actually laughing when I added my last post) that this topic won't last long. 

However, there's a very dangerous precedent presented under the guise of doing what's in the best interest of Florida at the expense of Freedom.  The sad part is, we can find countless examples of this type of behavior throughout world history and if you're on the side that aligns with the current power structure, there's nothing wrong, UNTIL IT IS.

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

One day, you might be able to claim that you are educating others and teaching lessons like I do regularly on this message board Perspective. First of all, you have a lot to learn from me, but I think that even you will admit how helpful that I have been to you, and how much smarter that you feel after I provide you with superior knowledge. You're welcome again, Perspective. 

So, oh wise one, what can you teach me about humility?   B)

2 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

Fine, nothing will be done and biological males will be stealing victories and championships from females. 

Just throwing this question out to everyone:   Can anyone give me a single example of where this has happened in Florida high school sports?  Not college.  And not in another state.   But here in Florida, do you know of a time where a biological male underwent some form of sex-change surgery or hormone replacement process in order to become a "female" and then competed against females in a high school sport, team or individual, and was victorious? 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Just throwing this question out to everyone:   Can anyone give me a single example of where this has happened in Florida high school sports?  Not college.  And not in another state.   But here in Florida, do you know of a time where a biological male underwent some form of sex-change surgery or hormone replacement process in order to become a "female" and then competed against females in a high school sport, team or individual, and was victorious? 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

Sounds to me like you are framing the question to get the answer you want.  Why would you be limiting it to HS only when the FL Bill applies to both HS and College, so yes there are examples at the college level though it hasn't maybe trickled down to HS in our state yet.  It's kind of like asking, "Can you give me a single example in the known universe where any gun has killed an individual without a person pulling the trigger", yet let's ban some of them.   I guess when I moved here and decided to become a Boy Scout the motto I was taught to "Be Prepared" is all wet in this day and age. 

5 hours ago, Perspective said:

You're not going to get a straight answer P. I already asked that question.

It's the same good 'ol right-winged playbook. Lie, lie, lie, scare, scare, scare to create a fake solution to a fake problem.

6 hours ago, Perspective said:

That is where being proactive comes into the equation. Eliminate this before it ever has a chance of becoming a problem. 

3 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

Sounds to me like you are framing the question to get the answer you want.  Why would you be limiting it to HS only when the FL Bill applies to both HS and College, so yes there are examples at the college level though it hasn't maybe trickled down to HS in our state yet.  It's kind of like asking, "Can you give me a single example in the known universe where any gun has killed an individual without a person pulling the trigger", yet let's ban some of them.   I guess when I moved here and decided to become a Boy Scout the motto I was taught to "Be Prepared" is all wet in this day and age. 

I appreciate your point -of-view and input Ray. You are a very valuable contributor to this message board, and I thank you for that. 

46 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Then it gets challenged in court, where a savvy lawyer goes judge shopping to file his case with hopes some nut case judge gives him the decision he wants.

That possibility should not deter from doing the right thing when it comes to "Fairness".  Recent history has shown yours is a point well made, though the other side appeals and if it gets to the highest court more times than not that set of judges will rule correctly. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

That possibility should not deter from doing the right thing when it comes to "Fairness".  Recent history has shown yours is a point well made, though the other side appeals and if it gets to the highest court more times than not that set of judges will rule correctly. 

2 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Then it gets challenged in court, where a savvy lawyer goes judge shopping to file his case with hopes some nut case judge gives him the decision he wants.

Based on the issues I've seen first hand when I worked at the Supreme Court, it depends on the issue especially when the matter of Judicial funding comes into play.  Sad, but true.

11 hours ago, Ray Icaza said:

And that's how our system has evolved.  Pass a law, rule, regulation or policy, along ideological lines and let the courts figure it out. Meanwhile We the People become more and more divided.