Football Advisory Committee items

Dr. D

15 hours ago, Hwy17 said:

Girls playing boys football isn't new. I know we had 2 or 3, and not kickers.

As for gymnastics there are certain gender specific apparatuses; i.e. balance beam for females; high bar, rings, pomal horse for males.

Yes, I'm aware of both of those things.   The question is whether it should be that way.  

As for gymnastics, I'm aware of the different apparatuses used by the men and the women, but have never taken the time to research how and why, for example, men use the high bar and women use the uneven parallel bars.  Well, that give me something to do next time I have some spare time.   I'll get back to you in a couple of years.  :D

1 hour ago, Perspective said:

I can hardly wait...:rolleyes:

In the meantime, just to be clear, your position is as follows:   in those situations where it can be scientifically determined that one classification of humans (I'll keep the aliens out of the discussion for now) has a "genetic and biological advantage" over another group, we shouldn't allow the advantaged group to participate with the disadvantaged group, as that would give the advantaged group an unfair advantage and deprive the disadvantaged group of succeeding.  But the disadvantaged group can always compete with the advantaged group, even if that means that members of the advantaged group are precluded from participating.    Did I say all of that right?

(Yeah, I know the wheels are now spinning in your brain as you try to figure out where I'm going with all this). 

I believe he's starting to get it 

51 minutes ago, Perspective said:

Yes, I'm aware of both of those things.   The question is whether it should be that way.  

As for gymnastics, I'm aware of the different apparatuses used by the men and the women, but have never taken the time to research how and why, for example, men use the high bar and women use the uneven parallel bars.  Well, that give me something to do next time I have some spare time.   I'll get back to you in a couple of years.  :D

Those male gymnastics apparatuses require a lot of strength.

14 minutes ago, Hwy17 said:

Those male gymnastics apparatuses require a lot of strength.

Primarily, upper body strength, right?  

What quality is needed most for the balance beam?  Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a male gymnast perform on the beam?  If males trained on the beam, would they be 'better' than females?   Conversely, are there any of the "male apparatuses" that women could compete with men if women trained on them?  Just curious.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out if there are any athletic events in which females have an inherent advantage over males. 

2 hours ago, Perspective said:

I can hardly wait...:rolleyes:

In the meantime, just to be clear, your position is as follows:   in those situations where it can be scientifically determined that one classification of humans (I'll keep the aliens out of the discussion for now) has a "genetic and biological advantage" over another group, we shouldn't allow the advantaged group to participate with the disadvantaged group, as that would give the advantaged group an unfair advantage and deprive the disadvantaged group of succeeding.  But the disadvantaged group can always compete with the advantaged group, even if that means that members of the advantaged group are precluded from participating.    Did I say all of that right?

(Yeah, I know the wheels are now spinning in your brain as you try to figure out where I'm going with all this). 

You see, you are finally learning something Perspective. My lessons and education ARE getting through! 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

Primarily, upper body strength, right?  

What quality is needed most for the balance beam?  Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a male gymnast perform on the beam?  If males trained on the beam, would they be 'better' than females?   Conversely, are there any of the "male apparatuses" that women could compete with men if women trained on them?  Just curious.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out if there are any athletic events in which females have an inherent advantage over males. 

Short answer to your last 2 questions, no.

Not that I follow gymnastics that closely but from what I understand,  the balance beam and uneven bars were designed for women because they carry more of their weight and have more strength in their lower body. Whereas male apparatuses are all about upper body strength. 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, LakelandGator said:

I must admit you were right again and we are starting to agree a lot, which concerns me considering the battles we have had on the site. :lol:

But in all seriousness, both WH programs are elite in basketball. The young women more so than the young men. WH ladies have won at least 5 state titles to my memory. The men on the other hand have been runner-up about the same number of times, including 2022. Will the men get that elusive trophy this year?

Many of us in Polk hope so, but unfortunately that school in south Florida named after the Italian explorer will be favored to beat WH and send them home with another 2nd place trophy. :(

Not the Blue Devils' year.  Boys lost 50-48 and the girls lost 47-43 in competitive games.

1 hour ago, Nulli Secundus said:

Not the Blue Devils' year.  Boys lost 50-48 and the girls lost 47-43 in competitive games.

Tough loss for WH. They had the ball with a tie score and turned it over, leading to a game winning layup for Columbus.

We are extremely proud of a team of local kids taking a recruited up, nationally ranked AAU team to the buzzer.

58 minutes ago, LakelandGator said:

Tough loss for WH. They had the ball with a tie score and turned it over, leading to a game winning layup for Columbus.

We are extremely proud of a team of local kids taking a recruited up, nationally ranked AAU team to the buzzer.

We're not gonna start using the "R" word!  Successfully Enrolled (S.E.) :D  Didn't one of WH's players win a title with Bartow a few years ago?  To your point, Polk has athletes to compete with anyone.