The future of this website and the forums...

Joshua Wilson

All,

Things are tough around here. Unfortunately, the site is losing money, and I am having to look at all options from revamping my monetization strategy which includes a whole new subscription platform including having subscribers pay for almost everything that will be placed behind a paywall and/or potentially charging for access to the forums. Another option in consideration is to basically shut the website down entirely (something I would not want to do, but may have to). 

At this point, everything is on the table as we enter May. I can't keep giving everything away for free anymore including access to the forums without revenue coming in. This is not a hobby for yours truly here, this is a livelihood.

JOURNALISM IS NOT FREE, THE NEWS IS NOT FREE, MEDIA IS NOT FREE... there is a cost to it and sadly when people don't want to pay or are unwilling to pay for content, it impacts jobs across the board in this industry. 

The ads you all see here bring in little revenue. I do not make a lot of money on those. The only ads I make money on are ones I directly sell and companies are unfortunately pulling back or they are dumping a lot of that ad money into Facebook or Google, which, unfortunately, dominates the market for ads by over 80%, leaving little room for independent publishers like myself to make money. 

The only way at this point I can see this all remaining free is if I get donations or an investor (which they are pulling back with a recession looming).

So I just want to give you all a heads up of what could be coming soon. 

Josh

Thank you @DarterBlue2

I just posted this updated on social media:

As of today the FloridaHSFootball.com+ Subscription Service has ended. Any subscribers will not see their accounts charged anymore going forward. 

We are going to revamp the subscription service with a new commitment to premium content and content that will be unique along with updates that you all have come to trust from us. It will be a new goal and challenge, but one that must be made if we are to continue forward. 

Having heard from a lot of people already asking us not to consider shutting down, we need those same people to support us once things are decided on a new subscription service platform.

Once things are laid out more concrete we will share those details which will be sometime within the next week or two. 

So right now, the plan is to relaunch the subscription service. The forums will remain free, but to get access to most content will cost at least a new monthly subscription to be priced at $10. This will help cover costs for hosting the website, software, travel, paying people to write, etc. A 6-month subscription and a 12-month subscription tier will get more benefits on top of the monthly. 

10 hours ago, badbird said:

Columbiafan leaving killed this site  :D.  Unfortunately not enough interest in high school sports in the state of Florida.  It's sad but that's reality.  Good luck with whatever you do.  I've enjoyed meeting people on sites like this and talking football.  

I know how much of an honor and privilege that it was for you to meet and learn from me badbird. You're very welcome for that honor and privilege. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

He sucks, but most officials try to do a good job. They do it out of love at the high school level, as compensation could not be the motive given its paucity. 

I was being sarcastic but if I'm being honest most officials only suck when I lose.  They usually do a great job.  :) 

13 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

He sucks, but most officials try to do a good job. They do it out of love at the high school level, as compensation could not be the motive given its paucity. 

I suck? C'Mon DarterBlue, i thought that we were friends? Is it because i told you to tell Warren Sapp that Sam Wyche was a great football coach? Let's not forget all of the lessons that I have provided you over the years. 

So I love this site enough to help out and sign up for a yearly subscription.  However, I have a couple problems.  First, I can't seem to login to the home page floridahsfootball.com even though my account seems fine in the forums.  Second, I have no idea how to upgrade my account to paid subscriber.  Could use a little help here.  

13 hours ago, Manatee Magic said:

I only recognize Pat Riley.  Who are the other guys?

I could be wrong, but I think the referee that Pat Riley is "talking" to is disgraced NBA official Tim Donaghy and the umpire (in both of the other two pictures) is Angel Hernandez, known for his bad calls.   In other words, I think Bad Bird is suggesting that he'd rank Jambun right up there with those two notoriously bad umpires/officials.  B)

11 hours ago, Perspective said:

I could be wrong, but I think the referee that Pat Riley is "talking" to is disgraced NBA official Tim Donaghy and the umpire (in both of the other two pictures) is Angel Hernandez, known for his bad calls.   In other words, I think Bad Bird is suggesting that he'd rank Jambun right up there with those two notoriously bad umpires/officials.  B)

You know Pinstripes, since I know that people in your profession are known to have big egos, and your big ego just cannot let you admit that you might learn something from someone who wears a black and white shirt. The fact is it has been a distinct honor and privilege of yours to learn and be educated by someone like me.  I know deep down that you look forward to what I have to say, and you always think that "that Jambun82 really knows what he is talking about, and I am lucky to be exposed to his knowledge and wisdom" You should be thanking me, and I will say you're welcome Pinstripes. I might even be willing to provide you with a autograph someday Pinstripes! 

11 hours ago, Jambun82 said:

You know Pinstripes, since I know that people in your profession are known to have big egos, and your big ego just cannot let you admit that you might learn something from someone who wears a black and white shirt. The fact is it has been a distinct honor and privilege of yours to learn and be educated by someone like me.  I know deep down that you look forward to what I have to say, and you always think that "that Jambun82 really knows what he is talking about, and I am lucky to be exposed to his knowledge and wisdom" You should be thanking me, and I will say you're welcome Pinstripes. I might even be willing to provide you with a autograph someday Pinstripes! 

I will say this Jambun, your unfaltering humility never ceases to amaze me. 

3 hours ago, Perspective said:

I will say this Jambun, your unfaltering humility never ceases to amaze me. 

Thank you Pinstripes, could you imagine if I had a big ego and showed arrogance Pinstripes? I have always believed in showing humility and staying humble Pinstripes.