FHSAA Board of Directors approves new football playoff plan for 2017

SportsNut25

The FHSAA board already had there mind made up to make the changes before the meeting ever started, This deal was done in a back room months ago and the only reason some of the coaches got to speak today was to give the appearance fair play. Mark my words the rural classification will be the next to go.     

This old dinosaur might be slowly coming around to these major changes in Florida high school football. I particularly like the idea that three(4's to many) schools can come from the same district and quality for the state playoffs. In 6A the panhandle might get three, and Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, and Carol City from that district could all get in. I say spread the teams around. Is the Miami area that good ? Is the panhandle that weak ? When 2 or 3 from the same district make it to the final four we'll have the answer...not BS speculation.

This old dinosaur might be slowly coming around to these major changes in Florida high school football. I particularly like the idea that three(4's to many) schools can come from the same district and quality for the state playoffs. In 6A the panhandle might get three, and Miami Central, Miami Northwestern, and Carol City from that district could all get in. I say spread the teams around. Is the Miami area that good ? Is the panhandle that weak ? When 2 or 3 from the same district make it to the final four we'll have the answer...not BS speculation.

So you would have MNW playing somewhere in the central fl in the playoffs playing a 1st rd matchup against armwood and send Carol City somewhere in the southwest fl to contend with possible 1st round games against Naples or something like that? If that's the case I like it...

So you would have MNW playing somewhere in the central fl in the playoffs playing a 1st rd matchup against armwood and send Carol City somewhere in the southwest fl to contend with possible 1st round games against Naples or something like that? If that's the case I like it...

2nd and 3rd place teams got to travel against #1's. Whether the cost for the Bulls to go to Niceville in the 1st round is justified, it beats the hell out of them playing Central out of the gate. That's no different from what we have now.

No one, but the school administrator's who pay the bills wants an in district game the first couple rounds. If Central and Northwestern are the best teams in 6A, prove it. And play in the final for the championship.

I think they won't mine driving to niceville for a playoff game... They would be worried about smal town refs lol...

Very curious how many of the powerhouse 2A, 3A and 4A schools move to 5A.  When you go into scheduling games for 2017, nobody is willingly going to want to play JaxTCA, Chaminade, Oxbridge, CCC, AHD, University Christian, Cambridge Christian, North Florida Christian with the teams they have coming back in 2017.

Hopefully you fella's aren't questioning the integrity of high school referees. In particular those from NW Florida. Anyone see the 2007 Nease/BTW Championship game in Orlando officiated by a panhandle crew ? If you did no explanation is needed. It was a tragic case of supposed unbiased adults with an agenda. I got the FHSAA involved. Don't believe anything ever came of it.

Good question. Guess you had to be there to get my biased perspective. Just one man's opinion, fwiw

Dan, maybe you are being a bit hard. The crew left much to be desired, but I am not sure they made intentional bad calls. The good news is that it did not affect the final outcome in terms of who won if I remember correctly.

They assign the officials from associations that aren't employed by either of the two teams involved. However sometimes you get a crew from an association you previously employed and fired and maybe they have an axe to grind. In other words if Bolles plays Walton on the playoffs they get officials from Gainesville.

Nothing new here... still doesn't solve the problems.

The major problems are caused by too many classifications. People are upset that a 1-9 team makes the playoffs because they are in a 3 team district. Well, why does that happen? Answer: Teams are too spread out with this many classifications.

People continue to say that you will see more marquee match-ups with the new system, I continue to ask how does the current system stop them from happening? Nobody ever answers that question. The current district/runner-up doesn't discourage you from scheduling a 10-0. Also some teams are not going to reschedule some games.

Columbia High School is going to play Suwannee every year, because it is a gate game that both communities want. Columbia is going to continue to play Gainesville and Buchholz because they are close, gate games. 

People say that we will have less blowouts in the first rounds, these were the point differentials in the state championships when the best of the best are supposed to be playing and would happen under the new or old system.

8A Game: 19 point spread

7A Game: 35 point spread

6A Game: 35 point spread

5A Game: 3 point spread

4A Game: 20 point spread

3A Game: 27 point spread

2A Game: 45 point spread

1A Game: 34 point spread

How does this new system fix the above? Simple answer it doesn't....

We have to stop pretending that school size is the only factor that matters in football success. We need to weight success on the field along with school size.

Does this mean a school like Trinity Christian or Oxbridge might be playing in a classification 2 or 3 sizes bigger, sure. But their success has proven they can handle it.

At the same time, do we need to allow schools like Stanton Prep to play in a lower classification because they aren't going to compete with schools their own size. YES!!! 

Well.. upon further reflection, and a Google to the FHSAA football Championship archives a few numbers refreshed my fading memory

Total Yards: Nease-191, BTW-468

Penalties: Nease-5 for 30yrds., BTW-17 for 146yrds

Good thing those refs didn't have an agenda, or the penalty disparity and when those flags were thrown(17) or not thrown(5) "might" come into question. :)