FHSAA Board of Directors approves new football playoff plan for 2017

SportsNut25

Thats what I didnt understand. Why remove the bonus points??? For example a "powerhouse" team should get rewarded for playing up especially if they cant get games in their class.

The bonus points caused the most controversy because it wasn't equal. 8A teams really didn't get any bonus points and if you are a 7A team, there's practically no reason, bonus point wise, to schedule a 3A or 4A powerhouse. Sure, you can maybe get a good game, but if you are 7A and want points you just schedule an 8A and rack up the points. 

I am of the opinion that if you are a 1A team and just because you play a bigger school in 5A or 8A does not mean that said team is a quality team, Take Eastside last year for example Newberry won that game pretty solid why would you award bonus points to Newberry for beating a bad team. 

Agreed! 

I do like one idea that is being floated and that is getting a bonus point for playing a playoff team from the previous season. That would be a good idea.

Agreed! 

I do like one idea that is being floated and that is getting a bonus point for playing a playoff team from the previous season. That would be a good idea.

Yes, but what about when you get a West Orange situation. This was a state semifinalist that probably won't make the playoffs this year.

Interesting info, I worked up region 3 on last year win loss records based on the new format for the 2017 playoff seeding and i it looks like Fort White and Madison tied for second place seeding on points and Union County would have been the #1 Seed in Region 3. Also Trenton was the #1 seed in region 4 with Dixie and Pahokee tied for the 2nd seed and Fort Mead taking the 4th seed. Newberry was very close to getting in over Ft Meade if they would have won a game over Union or Dixie there would have been 3 teams form our area to make the playoffs  

Yes, but what about when you get a West Orange situation. This was a state semifinalist that probably won't make the playoffs this year.

You are still going to get points off the game no matter what, but having that extra bonus point because they were a playoff team could help.

I am of the opinion that if you are a 1A team and just because you play a bigger school in 5A or 8A does not mean that said team is a quality team, Take Eastside last year for example Newberry won that game pretty solid why would you award bonus points to Newberry for beating a bad team.

Eastside was a playoff team. Lol. But is it right that if points was in this year that Trenton may get the same or less points lossing to Wakulla as a team would get for beating Bronson.

Eastside was a playoff team. Lol. But is it right that if points was in this year that Trenton may get the same or less points lossing to Wakulla as a team would get for beating Bronson.

The points are the same between a loss to Wakulla and a win against Bronson but at the same time East Side isn't much better than Bronson LOL, I do think 15 points difference between winning and losing to a 9-1 or 8-2 team is to much.