Apopka at West Orange

DarterBlue2

Coming into this season, this along with the Dr. Phillips game, were supposed to be Apopka's two biggest challenges in the regular season. Now, given that West Orange has given up 40 or more points in its last four games (including two losses to suspect competition), on the surface this now seems like an Apopka blowout. Not so fast, though. The two schools have been rivals for a long time and WO will play for both pride and district points. 

Even so, it is hard to see West Orange winning this one. In fact, Wekiva may take the runner up spot if they are not careful. I believe Apopka will score around 40 and give up around 10 which will position it for a playoff birth as I don't think Evans, this year, will be in the mix. 

So how did they fall off so far so fast?

The only thing I can think of is the opening of the new relief school next year. Perhaps, the kids (or their parents) see the impact this school may have on West Orange's program and have decided to be proactive about their school choice. I have a hard time believing it is coach Head. He has been generally popular and took several studs with him from Olympia when the Principal of that school hounded him out. He also got a couple stud Evans' transfers. Frankly I had expected them to be competitive for the foreseeable future as they are a large school with football demographics within the zone. 

In the North 8A I got

1. Apopka

2. DP

3. Seminole

4. Vero

5. Sandalwood

Osceola tends to get better as the year goes on but right now I see them losing week 2 of the playoffs to Vero.

Osceola is coming along and much improved, the offense is on a role but their biggest concern is the secondary. But if the secondary can get their stuff together dont be suprised to see Osceola make yet another run to states...

In the North 8A I got

1. Apopka

2. DP

3. Seminole

4. Vero

5. Sandalwood

Osceola tends to get better as the year goes on but right now I see them losing week 2 of the playoffs to Vero.

I can tell you right now that Vero ain't beatin no Osceola trust me im an alumni and have been to EVERY football game this year dating back to Dwyer, Osceola will be the most physical team they have seen all year

Apopka's offense probably racked up over 650 offensive yards against West Orange with a number of big plays, as well as long clock eating drives. On an all purpose basis, probably about 800 total.

More troubling were two things. First, the loss of QB Burch on its first drive of the second half which stalled inside the WO 20 after Burch left the game with an injury. He would not return. If he is out for awhile, he will be missed as  as he is the key to an effective passing game which worked well in the first half but was missing in the second. The other thing that was troubling was West Orange's effectiveness running the ball. I was not surprised they were able to get some yards through the air as their Quarter Back is good. However, I was surprised by more than a few long West Orange runs courtesy of missed tackles up front. West Orange, despite scoring only 20 points, had over 400 yards of offense. In a regular game, that many would typically end with a win. 

Apopka led 42-14 at the half with the game already pretty much in hand. In the second half West Orange scored two 39 yard field goals while Apopka added another two touchdowns. It is shocking to see how much West Orange has fallen in a year. Their defense could not stop the run or the pass. Usually such large drop offs are attributable to changes in staff, new school openings and such, none of which apply to West Orange which has an enrollment of over 4,000.