Apopka vs Miami Central 2016

Floridatech

Who would this game if they played this season????

Apopka has an offense that MC never sees...

MC plays solid defense and is actually passing the ball well this year.

Miami Central would be the favorite. But this is not a foregone conclusion. The last time these head coaches squared off against each other, Darlington took home the bacon when Apopka won the state title game against Smith's Northwestern. So there would be a revenge element in this game. 

The Rockets not only win the athlete for athlete battle in this theoretical match-up, but they benefit from a tougher schedule. Apopka would enjoy an unfamiliarity advantage in the sense that MC has probably not faced a Single Wing team in forever. This should not be discounted, as it generally takes even a good team two quarters or more to figure out how to defend it. You can look at all the film you want and have your scout team run it, but until you square off, it is  not the same. Also, this year's Apopka team could end up being its all time best in that it has no real weaknesses and quite a deep bench. 

I think this game would come down to the following:

1. Whether Apopka could jump on Central early

2. Venue - at a neutral or home setting, I would give Apopka a solid chance

3. Whether both teams come in at full strength

4. How long it takes Central to figure out how to stop Apopka's offence

If I had to pick a winner at this minute, I would pick Central by 7 to 10 points. Note that the only common thread between the two teams is East Ridge/Ocoee. Both Central and Apopka won big against in their respective games. Note that last week Ocoee upset East Ridge by a score. Due to the fact that neither Central or Apopka were extended in their respective games against this competition, it is probably not a good indication of what would happen.

As I stated earlier, I would have been very happy to see Apopka line up against Central when they came to play East Ridge. Win or lose, I think it would have been a net plus for the Darters. In addition to giving an indication of where they really stand, it would be the kind of game the younger players would have benefited from. From Central's perspective, especially playing an abbreviated season, I think it would have been a win for them too.

If both teams make States, perhaps we can reopen this topic after their respective games.

Miami Central would be the favorite. But this is not a foregone conclusion. The last time these head coaches squared off against each other, Darlington took home the bacon when Apopka won the state title game against Smith's Northwestern. So there would be a revenge element in this game.

The Rockets not only win the athlete for athlete battle in this theoretical match-up, but they benefit from a tougher schedule. Apopka would enjoy an unfamiliarity advantage in the sense that MC has probably not faced a Single Wing team in forever. This should not be discounted, as it generally takes even a good team two quarters or more to figure out how to defend it. You can look at all the film you want and have your scout team run it, but until you square off, it is not the same. Also, this year's Apopka team could end up being its all time best in that it has no real weaknesses and quite a deep bench.

I think this game would come down to the following:

1. Whether Apopka could jump on Central early

2. Venue - at a neutral or home setting, I would give Apopka a solid chance

3. Whether both teams come in at full strength

4. How long it takes Central to figure out how to stop Apopka's offence

If I had to pick a winner at this minute, I would pick Central by 7 to 10 points. Note that the only common thread between the two teams is East Ridge/Ocoee. Both Central and Apopka won big against in their respective games. Note that last week Ocoee upset East Ridge by a score. Due to the fact that neither Central or Apopka were extended in their respective games against this competition, it is probably not a good indication of what would happen.

As I stated earlier, I would have been very happy to see Apopka line up against Central when they came to play East Ridge. Win or lose, I think it would have been a net plus for the Darters. In addition to giving an indication of where they really stand, it would be the kind of game the younger players would have benefited from. From Central's perspective, especially playing an abbreviated season, I think it would have been a win for them too.

If both teams make States, perhaps we can reopen this topic after their respective games.

Absolutely but both are on a tear right now and you said what i said that single wing would be hard to them

Didn't realize Smith was the coach back in 01 but something about those Miami coaches they come back for vengeace and learn from their mistakes. 

Tim (ICE) Harris was also a Coordinator on that Miami Northwestern staff. Darlington got the better of South Florida royalty.

At the time, Smith was blamed (his vehicle was seriously damaged). However, with the passage of time, a bit or revisionist history may be in order. The best player on the field that night was Brandon Meriweather, and he wore Blue and White, not Blue and Gold. And, arguably, the second best was Steve Baylark who also wore Blue and White.

If you were to listen to Darlington, he may argue that the best football mind playing on the field that night was Othellus Swift. Unfortunately, this kid was just too undersized to go as far as his natural talent should have taken him. 

I think Billy Rolle was the coach then left for Killian if I'm not mistaken... I played against that northwestern team that made it to state that year and we lost to them 10-7.... The way one of my coaches (rip coach Litito) said to beat northwestern was to run misdirection on that attacking defense... But my Cuban head coach didn't want to listen.... Go figure these guys make it to state and lost to Apopka that killed them with misdirections all night... Smh....

I think Billy Rolle was the coach then left for Killian if I'm not mistaken... I played against that northwestern team that made it to state that year and we lost to them 10-7.... The way one of my coaches (rip coach Litito) said to beat northwestern was to run misdirection on that attacking defense... But my Cuban head coach didn't want to listen.... Go figure these guys make it to state and lost to Apopka that killed them with misdirections all night... Smh....

Rolle, I believe, was the coach in 2000. Before him it was Willie Goldsmith??, I believe.  in 2001, it was Roland Smith's first year as head coach. To be honest, I think Northwestern looked at the relatively small size of the Apopka team and though they could just out muscle them and win. It didn't work that way, and, as you say, Apopka killed them with misdirection on offense all night. To me, though, the real strength of that Apopka team was its defense. 

Fall of 2001 (my senior season), Rolle went to Killian. Roland Smith was the HC of MNW, and Ice Harris was the OC. He was the one giving the remote control speech in year of the bull. 

IMO, MNW was not the most talented team that year. Killian had more BCS level talent, as well as future pros. Rolle lives near Richmond Heights, and some people thought that the move had more to do with working closer to home. I'm sure it's just a concidence that the Killian team ended up having more talent than the MNW team that he lost to. 

Fall of 2001 (my senior season), Rolle went to Killian. Roland Smith was the HC of MNW, and Ice Harris was the OC. He was the one giving the remote control speech in year of the bull.

IMO, MNW was not the most talented team that year. Killian had more BCS level talent, as well as future pros. Rolle lives near Richmond Heights, and some people thought that the move had more to do with working closer to home. I'm sure it's just a concidence that the Killian team ended up having more talent than the MNW team that he lost to.

That MNW team really on offense had only Nitro... We played them very well... He won that game cause one of our starting LB got out for 1 play n boom he bust it open for 60 yd TD....