Apopka at Jones

DarterBlue2

I attended the spring game between these two tonight. The start was delayed by about 40 minutes due to lightening. 

If you like defensive football, then this would have been a doozy and right up your alley. The final score was 10-7 Apopka with it's only touchdown coming off a blocked Jones punt just before halftime that was scooped up and taken to the end zone. Apopka's other points came off Apopka's second possession of the game when a promising drive stalled in the red zone and the kicker managed to split the uprights from about 28 yards out. 

Jones's touchdown which came on their third possession was a beauty as their running back Parker broke a couple tackles and took it fifty yards into the end zone. Unfortunately, it was the only big play of the game for Jones. Late in the game (late third quarter or early fourth), they did get the ball inside the Apopka ten but a forced fumble led to an Apopka recovery in the end zone.

Overall, both teams showed out well. In my opinion, Apopka's line play on both sides of the ball was better than Jones's. I believe both teams should have very successful seasons, as this is the best spring game performance by Apopka since Coach Rolson took the helm after RD's departure. If the team makes normal improvement from here, we should again make a deep playoff run.  

One other matter of note: Apopka only ran one play out of the single wing the entire game. And this was late in the fourth quarter when the objective was to run the clock out. Could this be the end of an era? I guess we will see in September ...

I'm not familiar with Apopka's specific offense.  I'm guessing they have traditionally run the wing-T but suddenly moved away from it this spring or something?  Teams that suddenly change to a modern styled offense usually do so because they are getting hurt by negative recruiting of their kids to come and play for a more modern offense that will showcase their skills better or give them better coaching to reach the next level.

4 minutes ago, PinellasFB said:

I'm not familiar with Apopka's specific offense.  I'm guessing they have traditionally run the wing-T but suddenly moved away from it this spring or something?  Teams that suddenly change to a modern styled offense usually do so because they are getting hurt by negative recruiting of their kids to come and play for a more modern offense that will showcase their skills better or give them better coaching to reach the next level.

Apopka, since 2006, has run a single wing offense. Beginning two seasons ago, it began to incorporate various spread packages into its offense, But it still maintained the single wing as a major package. Personally, I would not necessarily ditch the single wing to the dustbin of history. However, I don't think it should be the only package employed. One drawback is if you fall behind by two scores or more, it is hard to come back. Another is that you lose some of your offensive talent to other schools.

Having a single wing package is an excellent way to give other teams a different look, as well as to run out the clock late in the game.

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Apopka, since 2006, has run a single wing offense. Beginning two seasons ago, it began to incorporate various spread packages into its offense, But it still maintained the single wing as a major package. Personally, I would not necessarily ditch the single wing to the dustbin of history. However, I don't think it should be the only package employed. One drawback is if you fall behind by two scores or more, it is hard to come back. Another is that you lose some of your offensive talent to other schools.

Having a single wing package is an excellent way to give other teams a different look, as well as to run out the clock late in the game.

they ran a little more spread type stuff 2012ish 2013ish when zack was there, it was for sure a dangerous combo  to see 2x2 and then all a sudden they shift into single wing or vice versa.  i couldnt imagine game planning for the same personnell groupings for a spread em out offense and a smash mouth one.

1 hour ago, h8r said:

they ran a little more spread type stuff 2012ish 2013ish when zack was there, it was for sure a dangerous combo  to see 2x2 and then all a sudden they shift into single wing or vice versa.  i couldnt imagine game planning for the same personnell groupings for a spread em out offense and a smash mouth one.

That is exactly right. And, as of the spring inter squad scrimmage, the elements were there to do the same this year. Not being an insider, I don't know whether that option still exists.

5 hours ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That is exactly right. And, as of the spring inter squad scrimmage, the elements were there to do the same this year. Not being an insider, I don't know whether that option still exists.

Any old timer remember the "Newbie" who had the "inside scoop" on a certain Blue/Black team all the while he didn't realize he was conversing with that teams Head Coach ?  Inside jokes "be damned" but it was hilarious.  :)

On 5/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, DarterBlue2 said:

But like you previously stated, "Summer is long and could yield surprises".  That statement holds true for several teams. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue2 said:

That is 100% correct.

Overall, I like where Apopka is at this point on the space time continuum. 

That timeline for our teams is less than 3 months when we play each other on 08/18 KOC @ Apopka.  We will certainly know more about ourselves after that game. 

6 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Maybe we can meet up. The Kowboys are a formidable opponent. Hope the weather does not intervene..

Sure did disappoint us last year at that time, so keeping my fingers crossed as this will be a tremendous challenge for our youngsters to prepare for the upcoming season.   Probably will ride up with my son who attends most games with me during the season, so yes would love to meet you.  

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 1:34 PM, Ray Icaza said:

Sure did disappoint us last year at that time, so keeping my fingers crossed as this will be a tremendous challenge for our youngsters to prepare for the upcoming season.   Probably will ride up with my son who attends most games with me during the season, so yes would love to meet you.  

FYI, had to correct myself assuming we were traveling to APK since last year's game was cancelled due to the weather.  The KOC will actually be at our place on Aug. 18th, a little over a month from now which obviously is more convenient as I was planning to attend regardless. 

1 hour ago, Ray Icaza said:

FYI, had to correct myself assuming we were traveling to APK since last year's game was cancelled due to the weather.  The KOC will actually be at our place on Aug. 18th, a little over a month from now which obviously is more convenient as I was planning to attend regardless. 

I saw that. Unfortunately, a matter has come up which has me in Canada 8/15-8/20. I am really going to miss this game, but will listen to the internet broadcast.