Biggest turnarounds from 2015 to 2016 by region

DisabledAccount

Without question, Sarasota Cardinal Mooney which finished 2-9 in 2015. They're now 8-1 this year. They are fast, physical and have one of the best offensive coordinators in Drew Lascari (Don Bosco Preps' OC for years) and a living legend as a defensive coordinator (Paul Macheltte).

Without question, Sarasota Cardinal Mooney which finished 2-9 in 2015. They're now 8-1 this year. They are fast, physical and have one of the best offensive coordinators in Drew Lascari (Don Bosco Preps' OC for years) and a living legend as a defensive coordinator (Paul Macheltte).

What class they in?

you think they can take the district from CCC this week?

Miami Edison senior high school has been remarkable this season with a 7-0 record so far compared to last year 6-4 record. In addition, this will be the 1st time in over 10 year's that they're in the playoffs. Last time was 2005 which is why I'm picking the Red Raiders as my biggest turnaround team.

3A Cardinal Newman is worth a peek.  Went 1-10 last year, now 4-3 and a tough road team under a new HC.  I'll write off their game 1 loss to Spanish River,  but they went to both Pahokee and to Boynton Beach and competed, not losing by much.  Then went to AHD and put a stake in the heart of their nightmare season, winning 21-20.  Now they have a home district game against Oxbridge this Thursday, and Newman considers Oxbridge their #1 rival, but I don't think Oxbridge knows that yet.  Newman's junior QB Moschella played LB the past 2 years, and plays QB like a linebacker,  go figure ... and still plays D this year.  A senior CB named Powell is as hard as woodpecker lips, and he hauls the rock occasionally too.  Two kids named A. Hayes who are both offensive weapons.  This is a tough team across the board who don't quit, and they don't seem to think they've been beaten even if the scoreboard sez so.  Can be a dangerous team.  That new HC is settin the pace and attitude, instilling pride and a lost tradition.  Lotsa underclass players.  Ox will beat them but it's gonna be a slugfest.  Watch them next year.

Good recent article here - http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/high-school-football/first-year-quarterback-leads-cardinal-newman-turnaround/u9vuGiXCZzr8nExielenmK/ 

Another surprise is The King's Academy, West Palm Beach at 8-0 in the SE Football Conference.  4-6 last year.   Might be time for them to up their schedule strength next year. 

Wish I could say something positive about Inlet Grove, .... but I can't.

In the Orlando area, in no particular order:

1. Jones High 4-6 in 2015 to 8-1 in 2016. Its been several years since Jones was relevant  and its nice to see the turnaround. 

2. Ocoee High 5-5 in 2015 to 5-3 and a District Championship and first time playoff birth this year. It may not seem like much but since losing its first two games, one in blowout fashion to Apopka, they have played a lot better, albeit in a relatively weak district.

3. East River High 1-9 in 2015 to 6-2 and a certain playoff birth in 2016. They are having their best season since the school opened. 

I doubt any of the above teams will make noise beyond the second round of the playoffs, but based on the recent past, they are all having good to great years!

In the Orlando area, in no particular order:

1. Jones High 4-6 in 2015 to 8-1 in 2016. Its been several years since Jones was relevant and its nice to see the turnaround.

2. Ocoee High 5-5 in 2015 to 5-3 and a District Championship and first time playoff birth this year. It may not seem like much but since losing its first two games, one in blowout fashion to Apopka, they have played a lot better, albeit in a relatively weak district.

3. East River High 1-9 in 2015 to 6-2 and a certain playoff birth in 2016. They are having their best season since the school opened.

I doubt any of the above teams will make noise beyond the second round of the playoffs, but based on the recent past, they are all having good to great years!

Turnarounds don't result in title right away but you can use a turnaround to get programs back in track and lead to future championship

you think they can take the district from CCC this week?

James,

Can they take the district from CCC? Yes, they very much can.

Will they? Depends. CCC, by definition, is a lazy football team. They're only willing to do the minimum needed to win and often let teams hang around. Cardinal Mooney can't match the Marauders weapons- heck, even Oxbridge doesn't have a CJ Cotman or Amari Burney- but make no mistake, Mooney will be the most intense and passionate team on Friday night.  My understanding is that Mooney is expecting a full house of alumni and fans. Mooney is one of those historical powers (Former state champion) and have a tremendous fan-base in Sarasota when they're doing good.

So, if Mooney can win on Friday (They'll pound their week 11 game Bayshore), they'll finish 9-1 and as a district champion knocking off a 4x defending regional champion in the process which would complete one of the biggest turnarounds from 2015-2016.

James,

Can they take the district from CCC? Yes, they very much can.

Will they? Depends. CCC, by definition, is a lazy football team. They're only willing to do the minimum needed to win and often let teams hang around. Cardinal Mooney can't match the Marauders weapons- heck, even Oxbridge doesn't have a CJ Cotman or Amari Burney- but make no mistake, Mooney will be the most intense and passionate team on Friday night. My understanding is that Mooney is expecting a full house of alumni and fans. Mooney is one of those historical powers (Former state champion) and have a tremendous fan-base in Sarasota when they're doing good.

So, if Mooney can win on Friday (They'll pound their week 11 game Bayshore), they'll finish 9-1 and as a district champion knocking off a 4x defending regional champion in the process which would complete one of the biggest turnarounds from 2015-2016.

I expect this one to be a packed house for sure.. If I wasn't going to See my alma mater play this week ( vanguard ) I would have made the short drive from Bradenton to Sarasota to see this one most definately