Newberry VS Pahokee 1st round

Tigerfan1

I think they they match up well with what i can see of Pahokee, The only weak spot that i can see in Newberry is the coverage of the deep ball and Pahokee looks really good at that, My question is can the Pahokee O-Line stop Parks and Durden or handle a blitzing LB from getting to the QB if they can then they have a chance.

From what I saw of pahokee, if newberry has trouble covering the deep ball, they will be in trouble.

#2 and #13 from pahokee have great speed but what impressed me even more about them was their route running. Pahokees o line is decent, but there QB doesn't mind standing tall in the pocket and letting it rip even when he knows he is about to take a hit, and he took a couple Friday night.

I think pahokee went to the deep ball to much Friday, they didn't use the run to set up the deep ball, or the pass to soften up the run. I know they saw how Fort Meade was playing them on the outside and that probably caused them to throw the ball a little which got them little off schedule with their play calling.

On defense pahokee is great against the pass and really puts the pressure on you to run the ball, however they are good enough in coverage to still load the box and man up on the outside.

Newberry doesn't really have any elite athletes in the backfield or DBs. They do have alot of big athletes 200+ pound kids who are athletic for their size. Pahokee will probably get loose a couple of times but Newberry should frustrate them by possessing the ball and playing keep away. Haven't seen anything but clips of Pahokee but Newberry should win that matchup up front. Should be a good game between two good football teams.

I actually like Newberry. They are huge, and that running back is a beast. But Pahokee never has had problems with big running teams. Pahokee (defensively) has too much team speed. So the running backs can't go any where. Sure they will accumulate some yards, but

few TD'S ........Also, If Newberry can't stop the deep ball...then what good is a running game? Just my opinion.

Physicality could be the issue for Pahokee. Newberry is a fairly physical team, they are more size than physicality but they have the size. Pahokee will no doubt be more athletic, that's a given. Best thing Pahokee could do is get a lead. I don't think Newberry likes calling plays from behind. They have a plan and do not like to deviate.

Captain I agree. Newberry's plan is very good however. And they do it very well. Traditionally, veer/running teams play from behind/catch up, against Pahokee. And the clock is usually the opposing team's worst enemy in that case.

But athletically speaking, Pahokee's receivers can outright FLY! And that's not counting the two running backs. The RB's are small, but they can scat and don't mind running in between the tackles.

Newberry may be the bigger team but I agree with original, the team speed on defense for pahokee will make it hard to run. Also depends on what kind of offense newberry runs, Fort Meade had the most success running the ball when they went 4 wide and really spread the defense out.

As big a Newberry is they have no problem going for it on 4th down from anywhere on the field, I agree that Pahokee has the speed to run down all of Newberry backs but can they make a stop every time when it's 4th and 1 and those 300 lb plus linemen are firing off the ball. Just my opinion but i see Newberry making this a short or fast moving game giving Pahokee limited chances with possessions. On the other hand if Pahokee can block a punt or make a couple of turnovers or even run back a kick for score then the game will swing in there direction. This game will defiantly be worth the price of admission   :)  :)

Pahokee has played a few higher classification teams this year that may be close in stature to the Newberry team they are about to face .  I don't know how big Seminole Ridge (8A), Boca Raton (8A), Wayne Hills (NJ), Cardinal Newman (3A) and Clewiston (4A) are across the OL/DL in comparison to Newberry -  but I don't think they're midgets.....

I also don't know about the overall talent running the Veer.  It's not like this Newberry Veer attack is an Osceola coming at them every down.

Game is 3 weeks away but I'll lean Pahokee by 4 here for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget that Pahokee has that iron leg in K/P Ezekiel Hernandez,  last year's Lou Groza award winner for best kicker as a sophomore.  He hit a 61 or 63 yarder last year,  and he's rarely missed this year.  Eye-opening power and consistent accuracy.  So even if Pahokee's in range,  say for a 40 yard attempt or so,  there's a decent chance for a few extra likely points.   Then there's his punts,  putting teams deep.

Overall, Pahokee has an excellent special team's capability,  both on coverage and receiving.  Can't count that out. 

This truly a bad match up for both teams. Can Newberry handle Pahokee's speed on the edges and the passing game and can Pahokee stop Newberry's power running game. I was leaning Newberry earlier but now having second thoughts. And don't get me wrong just because I'm saying Newberry has a power running game does not mean they don't have speed too !

Pahokee has seen big offensive/defensive lines all year. (8A Seminole Ridge, 8A Boca Raton,4A Glades Central) ....The biggest line that they have faced was the Wayne Hills-NJ team.

I think that this game may come down to coaching/play calling. Newberry can't run the ball out of the veer the whole game and expect to win. Pahokee has too much team speed on defense. The best way to beat Pahokee is to spread 5 wide and run with the QB. Teams that can do that have some success. What Newberry's defense has to worry about is stopping the Run and the Pass. Pahokee is a well balanced monster. They can beat you with running, passing, defense and special teams.