Lake Gibson in 6a

NewEraFball

There are a good amount of good teams in 6a. I would dare to say that 6a is the most competitive league. Lets talk about the Lake Gibson Braves and their success. They are lacking a little explosion of offense at times, but the defense i've heard is pretty dominant. I read they only give up 6 points/game!!! That has got to be at the top in the state. I'm from the Daytona area so obviously all we hear about in 6a is Mainland. This Lake Gibson team seems to be pretty legit. Surprised to not see them higher in the rankings (even though we all know that stuff is irrelevant) it would be cool to see them get some love. BUT flying under the radar isn't so bad sometimes.  Hopefully will have a chance to check them out at some point. keep doing your thing braves and hopefully we'll see you in Orlando. 

When you defeat teams like Kathleen, Dillard, and Dr. Krop, you have to be a pretty good team. When you have a 6'3" 230 lb QB that is intimidating, a RB who averages 112 ypg, and a couple of big receivers, then you are to be reckoned with. That being said, I just don't think that Lake Gibson has enough of a passing ability to affect Vanguard's defense that much. No team so far has effectively been able to run on Vanguard. It will come down to the ability of Lake Gibson's defense to slow down Vanguard. Because, there is no way they are going to stop Air Vanguard. 

When you defeat teams like Kathleen, Dillard, and Dr. Krop, you have to be a pretty good team. When you have a 6'3" 230 lb QB that is intimidating, a RB who averages 112 ypg, and a couple of big receivers, then you are to be reckoned with. That being said, I just don't think that Lake Gibson has enough of a passing ability to affect Vanguard's defense that much. No team so far has effectively been able to run on Vanguard. It will come down to the ability of Lake Gibson's defense to slow down Vanguard. Because, there is no way they are going to stop Air Vanguard. 

Dr. Krop is HORRIBLE but I see your point...

I'm having trouble determining if I am sold on a few undefeated 6A teams. Lake Gibson being one of them, along with Port Charlotte, Charlotte, Clearwater and Crestview. Then you have Forest, who I believe will be significantly exposed by Vanguard in the coming hours...

Port Charlotte and Charlotte play tomaroow so that will answer the question with those 2

I'm having trouble determining if I am sold on a few undefeated 6A teams. Lake Gibson being one of them, along with Port Charlotte, Charlotte, Clearwater and Crestview. Then you have Forest, who I believe will be significantly exposed by Vanguard in the coming hours...

Going back to the spring scrimmage, and I know this is not a good basis and was a long time ago, from what I saw, Lake Gibson was a decent team which I said at the time would probably be a playoff contender. They legitimately beat Osceola in two quarters, but struggled with Apopka's single wing, which scored almost at will against them. They had a couple good athletes and overall met the eye test.

Having said that, did I see them at that time being a legit deep playoff team? No. I saw them as a potential second round, possible third round kind of team. I am going to stick with this assessment for now, till I see them against the winner of Armwood/Hillsborough. Could they pleasantly surprise me? Absolutely. But for now I am not sold. I think Charlotte is a solid team, but will get beat during the course of the playoffs. I have no opinion on Clearwater and Port Charlotte, and think Crestview will get beat soundly by Niceville, who I see as a deep playoff threat.

I saw Lake Gibson in the preseason. They played Lakeland pretty tough in what was supposed to be a meaningless game (although both teams take it pretty seriously since they are cross-town rivals).

Their QB is legit. He reminded me of a Daunte Culpepper type of QB. He is huge and can throw the ball a mile. At that time, he was having trouble getting anyone to catch it. Their defense is as good as advertised. They held Lakeland scoreless in the 1st half. Lakeland put up 21 in the 2nd half, but there were no easy points. 

Whomever Lake Gibson plays will need to be ready. They have really been under the radar this season, even with an undefeated record.

Well seems as though Lake Gibson passed their last district test. Will definitely be interesting to see how well they match up with Vanguard. If they beat Vanguard or even hang tight with them, I think  we will all have to say they must be pretty legit. Now, with that being said, it will be interesting to see their first two playoff games as their cross district match up will be no easy task. HS football in Florida is about to become extremely fun these next weeks. I did hear LG defense had another shutout though and i also know that Sebring offense averages over 40 points/game, some being major pushovers i might add, but you don't score 40 pts/game by accident. I'm excited to keep up with this LG vs. Vanguard game this week.