Vanguard 57 Forest 3

james ricks

What a show the Knights put on at booster stadium tonight with atleast 2 dozen former players on hand to witness it. a quick 3 and out from Forest and turnover on downs from Vanguard got this one off to a very slow start in front of a capacity crowd of atleast 6,000 people, after the slow start Vanguard DB Tyree Gillespie had a 37 yard interception return for the games first points and after the Justin Watkins 2 point conversion run the rout was on from their as N'kosi Perry hit a 53 yard TD pass to promising freshman Leonard Manuel, Vanguard scored 36 points in the 2nd quarter to really break it open as Forest could never really get anything going offensively with the Knights defense blowing the Forest offense up most of the night.. So know Vanguard and Forest have to wait and see how the District 6A-6 tiebreaker plays out on Monday between Mitchell, Springstead and Sunlake to determine who they matchup with in the 1st round of the playoffs, I will definately be their on hopefully this long Vanguard playoff run, excited to see how far my alma mater can go this year as this is the best team we have had since the mid 90s

The way Vanguard has been winning tells me this team is for real regardless of its competition. I feel they have a great chance of getting to Orlando this year. In the 17 seasons I have taken an active interest in Florida High School football, this is the first time I can remember Vanguard being so good. 

Good luck to you the rest of the way. This could be a very exciting journey for Vanguard fans and alumni!

We Vanguard supporters better hope against hope that Perry stays healthy and injury free. Very few HS teams amount to much if they don't have an exceptional QB. I can tell you from experience.  :huh: Waiting with anticipation for the team's trip down to Lakeland next Friday to go against 8-0 Lake Gibson for the last game of the regular season. Don't think it will be any walk in the park for Vanguard as LG is a pretty good team, They defeated a fairly good Kathleen and a good Dillard and Sebring. LG is only allowing a little over 5 ppg which tells me that their defense is one of the best in the state.  Only 4 teams have scored against them. 3 of those 4 teams scored only 1 TD.  Dillard scored 3 TD's but lost. Will Air Perry be able to pick apart the LG defense? I don't think that the LG defense has seen the likes of a Perry and the receivers that Vanguard brings. I see a score of 28-7 in favor of Vanguard. 

The way Vanguard has been winning tells me this team is for real regardless of its competition. I feel they have a great chance of getting to Orlando this year. In the 17 seasons I have taken an active interest in Florida High School football, this is the first time I can remember Vanguard being so good.

Good luck to you the rest of the way. This could be a very exciting journey for Vanguard fans and alumni!

appreciate it. Vanguard hasn't been this good since a guy by the name of Daunte Culpepper was under center in the mid 90s, which also is the last time we have appeared in a championship game, losing to Southeast 19-17 in 94

We Vanguard supporters better hope against hope that Perry stays healthy and injury free. Very few HS teams amount to much if they don't have an exceptional QB. I can tell you from experience. :huh: Waiting with anticipation for the team's trip down to Lakeland next Friday to go against 8-0 Lake Gibson for the last game of the regular season. Don't think it will be any walk in the park for Vanguard as LG is a pretty good team, They defeated a fairly good Kathleen and a good Dillard and Sebring. LG is only allowing a little over 5 ppg which tells me that their defense is one of the best in the state. Only 4 teams have scored against them. 3 of those 4 teams scored only 1 TD. Dillard scored 3 TD's but lost. Will Air Perry be able to pick apart the LG defense? I don't think that the LG defense has seen the likes of a Perry and the receivers that Vanguard brings. I see a score of 28-7 in favor of Vanguard.

I agree pro, I'm waiting to see what happens in Lakeland next week, this Vanguard offense needs a real test going into the playoffs and LG will definately test them and being on the road in a hostile environment

I agree pro, I'm waiting to see what happens in Lakeland next week, this Vanguard offense needs a real test going into the playoffs and LG will definately test them and being on the road in a hostile environment

On video LG looks like a hard nosed team. They hit hard and they tackle hard. Their huge QB, 6'3" 230 lbs Thomas has a rifle arm. However, he doesn't seem to act like a RB much because they have a pretty good RB Jones who does most of the scoring with 17 rushing TDs. Something that is in Vanguard's favor is that LG is not a Senior laden team. Their roster has a lot of Sophomores and some Juniors. Not many Seniors. That means they are not that experienced. Both Thomas and Jones seen to fumble more than usual. LG's Kicker only has 6 kickoffs out of 38 in the end zone. So, Vanguard will have ample opportunity for run backs. Perry has to be careful as the LG defense has 8 interceptions so far. LG does not have a good FG kicker. Could be they don't need to kick FGs. LG has a lot of players that are between 240 lbs and 300 lbs. Not sure whether that is effective weight or not. Vanguard went into North Marion's huge stadium, packed to the rafters, and dismantled the Colts. So, probably playing LG on the road won't figure into this game. Should be a good one, though.

On video LG looks like a hard nosed team. They hit hard and they tackle hard. Their huge QB, 6'3" 230 lbs Thomas has a rifle arm. However, he doesn't seem to act like a RB much because they have a pretty good RB Jones who does most of the scoring with 17 rushing TDs. Something that is in Vanguard's favor is that LG is not a Senior laden team. Their roster has a lot of Sophomores and some Juniors. Not many Seniors. That means they are not that experienced. Both Thomas and Jones seen to fumble more than usual. LG's Kicker only has 6 kickoffs out of 38 in the end zone. So, Vanguard will have ample opportunity for run backs. Perry has to be careful as the LG defense has 8 interceptions so far. LG does not have a good FG kicker. Could be they don't need to kick FGs. LG has a lot of players that are between 240 lbs and 300 lbs. Not sure whether that is effective weight or not. Vanguard went into North Marion's huge stadium, packed to the rafters, and dismantled the Colts. So, probably playing LG on the road won't figure into this game. Should be a good one, though.

yeah it definately should be a good one, wish I could make it over to this one but won't be able to, hopefully their will be a live stream put out by somebody broadcasting it like Trinity Catholic does their games

yeah it definately should be a good one, wish I could make it over to this one but won't be able to, hopefully their will be a live stream put out by somebody broadcasting it like Trinity Catholic does their games

I think that this type of game, with the two top ranked undefeated teams in 6A, should really be on one of the cable stations like ESPN2 or ESPNU. Whether it will be is pretty doubtful, though.

Vanguard has all the talent. Coaching is the only question mark and what I'm afraid will ultimately be their downfall.

the coaching seems to finally be on track it seems for the first time in years, Coach Edwin Farmer and his staff is really putting everything into this program.. But we will see how it goes this Friday night and beyond

I think that this type of game, with the two top ranked undefeated teams in 6A, should really be on one of the cable stations like ESPN2 or ESPNU. Whether it will be is pretty doubtful, though.

I think ESPN is done with high school games this year as far as regular season goes, that would have been nice to see this one on tv though

The question is when they face people with equal talent. That won't happen until they face Armwood as that region is probably one of the weakest, they don't have to beat anybody. That's why GHS has gotten to the 3rd round every year, Vanguard should have beat them last year but lost to a team they were to superior to. Armwood will be able to match up with people and I know who will have the advantage in coaching.

The question is when they face people with equal talent. That won't happen until they face Armwood as that region is probably one of the weakest, they don't have to beat anybody. That's why GHS has gotten to the 3rd round every year, Vanguard should have beat them last year but lost to a team they were to superior to. Armwood will be able to match up with people and I know who will have the advantage in coaching.

So you don't see vanguard having any shot at beating Armwood?

There is always the possibility that one of the playoff teams Auburndale, Lake Gibson, or even Hillsborough (again) could knock off Armwood before Vanguard gets to play them. Possibilities do turn into probabilities in HS football. However, If Armwood and Vanguard do meet up in the 3rd round would the game be in Seffner or in Ocala? 

There is always the possibility that one of the playoff teams Auburndale, Lake Gibson, or even Hillsborough (again) could knock off Armwood before Vanguard gets to play them. Possibilities do turn into probabilities in HS football. However, If Armwood and Vanguard do meet up in the 3rd round would the game be in Seffner or in Ocala?

Vanguard would travel I beilive

that game would be in Seffner this year

yeah Armwood would have the advantage in coaching, their staff has big time experience in big games and have been through a lot, but I will have confidence that Coach Farmer and his staff can get it done

James.............Since you were at the Vanguard/Forest game I didn't see that you gave us an assessment up close and personal. How did Vanguard look, both offensively and defensively, who were the standouts, and weaknesses if any that you saw? How is their play calling and formations? Do they incur penalties much? :)