Vanguard 57 Forest 3

james ricks

James.............Since you were at the Vanguard/Forest game I didn't see that you gave us an assessment up close and personal. How did Vanguard look, both offensively and defensively, who were the standouts, and weaknesses if any that you saw? How is their play calling and formations? Do they incur penalties much? :)

offensively was the usual standouts with Perry and Watkins doing most of the damage with a good looking Freshman WR in Leonard Manuel, the defensive side of the ball is just flat out impressive everywhere, from DB's Avonta Crim to OJ Tucker and Tyree Gillespie to LB's Ty Farmer to Tyonta Files, DE Adrian Hope wreaking havoc in the forest backfield all night blowing plays up before they could ever get started, Special teams kickoff coverage looks good, the part the knights struggle is in the kicking game as their kicker Philip Ortiz who also plays on the basketball team could never get it to the endzone for touchbacks, overall I didn't see to many weaknesses with this team but the offensive line needs to clean up some holding calls, I counted 5 of those on the night, but otherwise they looked pretty good... Play calling was up tempo most of the night wanting to move really quick, had a little bit of option plays in their as well to keep the defense off balance

Watkins can flat out fly. Can't see any team stopping him cold no matter how good their defense is. And Manuel is a big, 6'5" 200 lb WR and only a Freshman. How do you stop him? Vanguard also has about a half dozen receivers all in triple digits. Seems like it will take an exceptional team to even stay on the field with these guys. Armwood seems like that exceptional team, at least by their stats. 

Watkins can flat out fly. Can't see any team stopping him cold no matter how good their defense is. And Manuel is a big, 6'5" 200 lb WR and only a Freshman. How do you stop him? Vanguard also has about a half dozen receivers all in triple digits. Seems like it will take an exceptional team to even stay on the field with these guys. Armwood seems like that exceptional team, at least by their stats.

Agree. Watkins is just one of those kids that comes around maybe once every 5 or 6 years, kid just has top notch speed, Manuel is a big target expecially in the redzone, Perry tossed him a few jump balls and he just used his size to his advantage to go up and get it.. I don't see Vanguard having to many problems in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs with 1st round being Springstead and 2nd either Mitchell or Forest. Armwood will be by far the best team this knights team has seen all year assuming they get their which I think both teams will

We Vanguard supporters better hope against hope that Perry stays healthy and injury free. Very few HS teams amount to much if they don't have an exceptional QB. I can tell you from experience.  :huh: Waiting with anticipation for the team's trip down to Lakeland next Friday to go against 8-0 Lake Gibson for the last game of the regular season. Don't think it will be any walk in the park for Vanguard as LG is a pretty good team, They defeated a fairly good Kathleen and a good Dillard and Sebring. LG is only allowing a little over 5 ppg which tells me that their defense is one of the best in the state.  Only 4 teams have scored against them. 3 of those 4 teams scored only 1 TD.  Dillard scored 3 TD's but lost. Will Air Perry be able to pick apart the LG defense? I don't think that the LG defense has seen the likes of a Perry and the receivers that Vanguard brings. I see a score of 28-7 in favor of Vanguard.

Vanguard has all the talent. Coaching is the only question mark and what I'm afraid will ultimately be their downfall.

1. #17 Marquez Glover has already proven himself as a pretty worthy successor. He adds his distinctive skill set to an offense built around its compilation of versitle talent. NOONE wants to see anything happen to their starting QB but Vanguard's backup QB is seems than capable if that happened.

2. You're out of your damn mind if you think the above mentioned can happen without an excellent coaching staff! Edwin Farmer is showing up wth great leadership over this team along with consistently bringing pressure to opponents on the defensive end. I read that 13 different kids have scored touchdowns so the OC Jeff Hawkins is OBVIOUSLY doing something pretty unstoppable.

From what I know, this particular group of young men and its coaching staff is breaking long standing records at the school and in the county. We'll see where they end up but I definitely don't think they're getting the respect they deserve state-wide. I guess it'll start by turning heads this Friday!

1. #17 Marquez Glover has already proven himself as a pretty worthy successor. He adds his distinctive skill set to an offense built around its compilation of versitle talent. NOONE wants to see anything happen to their starting QB but Vanguard's backup QB is seems than capable if that happened.

2. You're out of your damn mind if you think the above mentioned can happen without an excellent coaching staff! Edwin Farmer is showing up wth great leadership over this team along with consistently bringing pressure to opponents on the defensive end. I read that 13 different kids have scored touchdowns so the OC Jeff Hawkins is OBVIOUSLY doing something pretty unstoppable.

From what I know, this particular group of young men and its coaching staff is breaking long standing records at the school and in the county. We'll see where they end up but I definitely don't think they're getting the respect they deserve state-wide. I guess it'll start by turning heads this Friday!

welcome to the board

you a vanguard rep?

Well Gridpeanut, maybe the coaching at Vanguard is excellent as you say. I just like to look at facts and real results. The best win that coaching staff has in three years is either a win over a 8-5 GHS team without 4 starters and their QB or a 6-2 Buchholz team this year. Now they may win state this year but as of now they haven't beaten anybody with any clout. They have all the pieces to make a serious run this year so we'll see how it pans out.

Well Gridpeanut, maybe the coaching at Vanguard is excellent as you say. I just like to look at facts and real results. The best win that coaching staff has in three years is either a win over a 8-5 GHS team without 4 starters and their QB or a 6-2 Buchholz team this year. Now they may win state this year but as of now they haven't beaten anybody with any clout. They have all the pieces to make a serious run this year so we'll see how it pans out.

They play undefeated lake Gibson this week

That will go a long way into telling us about both teams

Well let me ask you this....

If a "undefeated" Lake Gibson lined up against a 6-2 Miami Central ( who finished 3rd in their District) right now on a neutral field. Who wins and by how much?

Hmm lets see lake Gibson beat Dillard who likely had more better overall talent but even with central not having the best situation I will be fair and say central by 17-24

:rolleyes:

I get the point you trying to make

No lake Gibson would not make the playoffs in a tougher district like central in and would not be undefeated if they played better teams

But

The game this Friday between 2 of top 6a north teams are undefeated bowl

One got to lose so we will see

If one gets blown out we know which one for real and which one Aint

If it close then both teams are evenly matched

I get the point you trying to make

No lake Gibson would not make the playoffs in a tougher district like central in and would not be undefeated if they played better teams

But

The game this Friday between 2 of top 6a north teams are undefeated bowl

One got to lose so we will see

If one gets blown out we know which one for real and which one Aint

If it close then both teams are evenly matched

Well whoever is for real between those two ( I happen to suspect Vanguard) , I would expect to win by at least 14pts to feel they are a legit threat to make a run.

So you think Central would beat Lake Gibson by 7 on a neutral field right now.

What about Armwood versus Lake Gibson on a neutral field right now?

Well whoever is for real between those two ( I happen to suspect Vanguard) , I would expect to win by at least 14pts to feel they are a legit threat to make a run.

So you think Central would beat Lake Gibson by 7 on a neutral field right now.

What about Armwood versus Lake Gibson on a neutral field right now?

I said central by 17