STA-Dwyer engage in post-game brawl

SportsNut25

We'll see how it pans out. If it happened after the game, it is hard to imagine how/ why STA would "pick a fight" after the shallacking they just have Dwyer...

I smell sore losers or a team that got embarrassed on the field as possible instigators...

Not that I agree with any of this at least there was emotion from Dwyer of getting embarrassed with their pride and heart being snatched out their chest. No they shouldn't have instigated a fight if indeed they did but least as I know as a coach I had players that care.

In my alma matar of course that's not the case BROWARD saw it himself getting blowed out running clock and your laughing dancing joking etc in your last game of the season and high school career for some and getting blew out at home is funny ??

As a coach I would be sick to my stomach if I saw that but hey if the coach is careless and don't instill that pride right and heart the players won't have it.

Not that I agree with any of this at least there was emotion from Dwyer of getting embarrassed with their pride and heart being snatched out their chest. No they shouldn't have instigated a fight if indeed they did but least as I know as a coach I had players that care.

In my alma matar of course that's not the case BROWARD saw it himself getting blowed out running clock and your laughing dancing joking etc in your last game of the season and high school career for some and getting blew out at home is funny ??

As a coach I would be sick to my stomach if I saw that but hey if the coach is careless and don't instill that pride right and heart the players won't have it.

I hear you Mighty but respectfully disagree.  Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and think with your brain rather than your fist.  There is taunting, talking trash, embarrassing verbally but when a punch is thrown it is on another level.  If you are a Coach and you are okay with them "caring", speaking their passion and emotions in a retaliatory way with their fist - think about this -   What is going to happen when those players are verbally taunted in public, humiliated, whatever and they feel it is okay to shed their emotions with their fist?  Do you think Dwyer HC Jack Daniels is going to visit them in a jail cell and tell them it was okay because they showed they were passionate about what they were standing up for?

Sometimes you have to have thick skin on a football field.  Perhaps Dwyer could not relate well to getting taken out to this embarrassing beat down since they did want to schedule any elite teams?

Also for what it is worth at the beginning of the warmups  the Dwyer players were running through, talking trash and disrupting the STA warm up.  No one forced Dwyer to do that which probably made the beat down worse for them.  If you going talk, you better be able to back it up.  Dwyer couldn't come close to doing it on the field so they tried it with their fist. 

I hear you Mighty but respectfully disagree. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and think with your brain rather than your fist. There is taunting, talking trash, embarrassing verbally but when a punch is thrown it is on another level. If you are a Coach and you are okay with them "caring", speaking their passion and emotions in a retaliatory way with their fist - think about this - What is going to happen when those players are verbally taunted in public, humiliated, whatever and they feel it is okay to shed their emotions with their fist? Do you think Dwyer HC Jack Daniels is going to visit them in a jail cell and tell them it was okay because they showed they were passionate about what they were standing up for?

Sometimes you have to have thick skin on a football field. Perhaps Dwyer could not relate well to getting taken out to this embarrassing beat down since they did want to schedule any elite teams?

Also for what it is worth at the beginning of the warmups the Dwyer players were running through, talking trash and disrupting the STA warm up. No one forced Dwyer to do that which probably made the beat down worse for them. If you going talk, you better be able to back it up. Dwyer couldn't come close to doing it on the field so they tried it with their fist.

Do you think Dwyer started the fight just to try and get STA in trouble since they knew they had no shot on the field so decided to try and get them DQ from playoffs?

Do you think Dwyer started the fight just to try and get STA in trouble since they knew they had no shot on the field so decided to try and get them DQ from playoffs?

If it turns out that Dwyer instigated the incident, I am clueless as to what the Dwyer players were thinking but it would not surprise me if they just decided to have a "I don't give a bleep" attitude and decided they wanted to take STA down one way or another.

I have seen much better teams than Dwyer recently go into STA's house and talk trash and try to be disruptive. Win or Lose they are not assaulting other players with fists.  They take their lumps, and accept the fact that they got beat by a nationally elite team.   

STA had to swallow severely painful losses @ BTW and @ Bishop Gorman this year.  I'm sure their players were enraged inside and I'm sure both teams talked a bunch of trash to one another.  They didn't start a fight, they had to swallow the L, line up and move on - And is life...

My 2 cents.  Part of this, just a part, has to go back on a coach preparing for and exposing his team to adversity, so players don’t lose focus and self-control when challenged with unforeseen situations.  Good coaches use football both to compete to win, and to develop character in young men.  Many schedule non-district games against tough teams, which tests both individuals and the team as a whole, enabling them to know that “they been there beforeâ€.

Dwyer had some tremendously talented players this year,  and they showcased obvious, individual top-level athletic skills in easy games, running their record to 10-0.   But this team as a single unit wasn’t challenged,  tested,  or prepared for playoff-level ball against top state teams who learned to correct mistakes  and consistently improve by playing far tougher schedules.   Has their team learned to keep focused  and grind back when behind,  or independently adjust in-game on the fly?   What’s this year’s  “go to† play when nothing else works?   With a number of running clocks on other teams,  they’ve rarely, if ever, had their endurance and resolve tested late and under pressure,  were never in deep waters for a young man’s character test  and gut-check.  The mental-toughness and experience element is equal as, if not more important than the athletic element, especially when your back is against the wall …. that’s one great thing about football – when intangibles, guts, and self-control come into play.   Instead, team success was padded with impressive season numbers against non-district cupcakes, perhaps falsely inflating their expectations and sense of entitlement.   Unbeaten streaks,  points scored and given up,  sacks,   picks,  yards-gained,  etc,  may look good,  but don’t always succeed against more seasoned teams on the hard playoff road to a chip …. nor do “traditional†games against easy local teams just ‘cause “it’s always been done that wayâ€.  I may be old school and I’ll wear that.  But I believe the coaches failed in part to prep Dwyer players, a so-called legacy team, for the real world of playoff football by scheduling easy non-district games.  And if they were eventually provoked, like they’ve likely did to other teams this season, they just didn’t know how to handle it and lost self-control when it happened to them, … ‘cause “they never been there beforeâ€.  Experience is the greatest teacher of all,  for it gives the test first,  followed by the hard-learned lesson.

One of the rules that many coaches I have dealt with regarding videotaping games is that you don't close up shop until the two units are clearly separated and in their huddles post-game for this very reason. 

I'm not 100% sure but I think that might possibly perhaps is an FHSAA rule as well. 

I was at the game as well, and I stayed until the end, I was actually sitting on the Dwyer side and I can only say what I saw, during the handshakes at the end of the game #7 of Dwyer stayed on the sidelines and was not going to shake hands, but the coaches seemed to talk him into going into line, when he got into line, I do not know exactly if he said something or pushed an STA player, but the Dwyer coaches pulled him back out

of the line, and as the St. Thomas players were going past him there was a lot of talking between #7 and the STA players, what was being said I do not know, but it was getting bad. Then #7 and then #1 of Dwyer were yelling at the players and #1 through a water bottle towards STA and #7 was standing there talking and then all of a sudden about 5 or 6 STA players went after #7 chasing him around the end zone and then the teams starting running towards each other was well as fans jumping on the field.

That is what I saw, who started it I believe was Dwyer, it started from when they arrived and then to get beaten up the way they did. You could see it on the sidelines as the players were very frustrated, I did not foresee a brawl. But then maybe the coaches of Dwyer should have sensed the players emotions, not sure if they could have seen this coming as well. They were fired up to begin the game and then to get dominated the way they did was more then they could handle.

Both teams were wrong, STA should be used to teams thinking they are going to beat them and talking trash, STA could and should have just walked away, they had already said their piece in the game.

Yes has to be soon. 

If the FHSAA has a hard time telling who did what, again I could see STA getting DQed out of this and Dwyer getting slapped with a postseason ban for 2017. It would be the only fair solution, to be honest, to penalize both since its hard telling on the current videos who was the aggressor, who participated and so forth. 

Not a chance. No way STA gets DQ'd for that.

I could see more of the coach being suspended for a game but nothing will happen in full to either team.

LOL must be a slow day for news outside of football.

Come on, you really think that or are you just stirring?

No team goes into a game like that thinking they have no chance to win and therefore searching for alternative ways to move on.

At the end of the day, these kids have to line up and beat the other side.

Let's not forget many big upsets which is why they play the game.

But to think they tried to get STA DQ'd, come on man!