FHSAA sets points system in stone

Joshua Wilson

The points system is now officially set in stone...

Biggest changes:

- Losses are reduced by 5 points in each category. This makes losses hurt more now than previously when first proposed.

- Teams will get 3 bonus points for scheduling a team that reached the playoffs in the previous two-year cycle. For 2017 & 2018 schedules that will be 2015 & 2016. So if a team made it both years, you only get 3 points - not six. If a team made it one of those two years you get 3 points. The bonus points will carry over for two years, so if you get a team that has 15 bonus points for playing 5 playoff teams, they will have those 15 bonus points to carry both into 2017 and 2018 seasons. This helps some of the issues of playing a team that could have a down year. Also teams will get bonus points for playing out-of-state teams as long as they reached their respective association's playoffs using the same years involved as Florida.

Overall, this now puts the focus even more on winning which is great.

I am working on how it would have looked for the playoffs this year now with this new info.

More: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/11/21/fhsaa-officially-sets-points-points-system-2017-2018/

So, if I'm reading this right, if you play a team that was 1-9 last year but they were in the playoffs by virtue of being in a 3 team district, a win over them is now worth 38 points instead of 35?

Yes it would be, but this should ease the bigger issue at hand. In two years from now no one will get bonus points from a 1-9 team being in the playoffs since it will be virtually impossible for a 1-9 team to make the playoffs.

This is going to be a complete disaster. We have the dumbest bunch of idiots running the fhsaa. The solutions are very simple.

1. Less classes.

2. Larger districts.

3. Champs and runner up make playoffs

4. Seperate public from private

5. Two champions bowls at the end of the playoffs. Optional participation. Can invite out of state teams if a champ bows out.

Here is a scenario for you that could happen.  All the really bad independents join back in.  The worst 10 teams agree to be in a conference together.  So lets say

Landmark Christian Haines City 0-6

Merritt Island Christian 0-7

Lake Mary Prep 1-8

Wildwood 0-10

Master Academy Oviedo 3-7

Orangewood Christian 2-8

First Academy Lesburg 4-6

International Community 4-6

Halifax 1-6

Avante Academy 0-4

come to an agreement to all play each other.  Halifax is the highest rated team according to Laz index at 526 in the state.  Someone in that conference will probably go 10-0 and make the playoffs and still really suck.  

I have a idea

1A: stays rural

2a combines 3a: small privates

4a and 5a: semi combines: (will explain)

6a: becomes semi large schools

7a: becomes largest big schools (enrolment of 2k or more)

8a: all large school privates ( 1k more enrollments so AHP, STA, Bishop morre, ect.)

Result

1A: rural

2a: same

3a: same

4a: becomes 4a and 5a publics combined

5a becomes 6a and some smaller 7a publics

6A: becomes large 7a and 8a publics

7A: becomes private schools over 1k enrollment

Does this sound good?

I have a idea

8a: all large school privates ( 1k more enrollments so AHP, STA, Bishop morre, ect.)

Result

2a: small private

3a: becomes 4a and 5a publics combined

4a becomes 6a and some smaller 7a publics

5A: becomes large 7a and 8a publics

6A: becomes private schools over 1k enrollment

Does this sound good?

This doesn't solve much of anything. 

All current 2A and 3A schools would be combined into one classification and probably just makes the current problems worse. 

Oxbridge Academy, for example, only has like 600-700 students I think. That would put them in the same classification as Victory Christian out of Lakeland in this model. 

This doesn't solve much of anything.

All current 2A and 3A schools would be combined into one classification and probably just makes the current problems worse.

Oxbridge Academy, for example, only has like 600-700 students I think. That would put them in the same classification as Victory Christian out of Lakeland in this model.

Ain't both those classes almost the same enrollment number

I have a idea

Result

Does this sound good?

What about this update?

Better for sure. Still would be nice to get it down to six classes, but the question is how could you do reasonably do it.

It would be 4 public classes which is the same it was when they had 6 classes only difference is I put the larger private schools in there own class so the publics and privates are seperate

I have a idea

Result

Does this sound good?

How many private schools in FL over 1,000?

You always talk about teams having to travel and logistics.....How would you suggest they set up those 7A private Districts in the state?

Better for sure. Still would be nice to get it down to six classes, but the question is how could you do reasonably do it. 

Maybe Something like this?

Class   A:  Public Schools only under 600

Class 2A:  Private Schools only under 300

Class 3A:  Public Schools 600-1200  Private Schools 300-1000

Class 4A:  Public Schools 1201-2000

Class 5A:  Public Schools 2001-2800

Class 6A:  Public Schools over 2800 Private Schools over 1000

How many private schools in FL over 1,000?

You always talk about teams having to travel and logistics.....How would you suggest they set up those Districts in the state?

Not that many private schools over 1000.  One reason why some many private schools play independent is because they can't field a team year-to-year.  Schools like Bishop Verot, Jacksonville Bolles, that are in 4a are right at 1000.  Tampa Jesuit is all male so they have to double their number.