FHSAA sets points system in stone

Joshua Wilson

Ok how about this just for hypothetical sake

They could put any private over 1k enrollment in the highest public class (what is currently 8a)

Can that work?

Which is what I'm saying.

Class 2a only is virtually a private school class with 1 public school that choose to be there instead of 1a due to travel.  Most independent conference schools would be 2a.

Class 3a is all private

Class 4a has 6 private schools.  Most of these would fit into class 3a with a small adjustment to the enrollment number (change to 1000). 

Class 5a has 5 private schools 

Class 6a  has 0 private schools

Class 7a has 1 private school (STA)

Class 8a has 2 private schools - Christopher Columbus and Belen Jesuit

IMO those last 8 would fit into class 8a well.  

Here is a scenario for you that could happen.  All the really bad independents join back in.  The worst 10 teams agree to be in a conference together.  So lets say

Landmark Christian Haines City 0-6

Merritt Island Christian 0-7

Lake Mary Prep 1-8

Wildwood 0-10

Master Academy Oviedo 3-7

Orangewood Christian 2-8

First Academy Lesburg 4-6

International Community 4-6

Halifax 1-6

Avante Academy 0-4

come to an agreement to all play each other.  Halifax is the highest rated team according to Laz index at 526 in the state.  Someone in that conference will probably go 10-0 and make the playoffs and still really suck.  

First, Landmark and Avante Garde are non-FHSAA members, so those teams wouldn't even qualify.

Second, half the other teams you mentioned are staying in the SSAC. Halifax and Wildwood are the only ones that aren't in the SSAC. Wildwood would be in 1A and Halifax 2A. 

So let's not start throwing things together just prove a point because we don't like the system. What is sad is no one wants to give this a chance to see what is going to happen, what the districts are going to look like or what the new conferences will look like that are going to come out of 1A-4A.

So far I am aware of two 1A conferences forming (one being the old Suwannee Conference). Plus there is a possible formation of super conference down in the Polk/Highlands County area that could consist of at least 6-8 teams consisting of teams that would be in 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A. From what I have seen, this is seriously something the FHSAA could not put together under the current system, but talk about travel being cut down. 

Also to add on, FHSAA has commitments from nearly 40% of independent schools to return to the state series. A few of these independents will be joining district play. Most will be situated in 2A and 3A with 4A getting a few of those teams. Again, let's see what happens before we all say this is too complicated or it won't work. 

First, Landmark and Avante Garde are non-FHSAA members, so those teams wouldn't even qualify.

Second, half the other teams you mentioned are staying in the SSAC. Halifax and Wildwood are the only ones that aren't in the SSAC. Wildwood would be in 1A and Halifax 2A. 

So let's not start throwing things together just prove a point because we don't like the system. What is sad is no one wants to give this a chance to see what is going to happen, what the districts are going to look like or what the new conferences will look like that are going to come out of 1A-4A.

So far I am aware of two 1A conferences forming (one being the old Suwannee Conference). Plus there is a possible formation of super conference down in the Polk/Highlands County area that could consist of at least 6-8 teams consisting of teams that would be in 1A, 2A, 3A, and 4A. From what I have seen, this is seriously something the FHSAA could not put together under the current system, but talk about travel being cut down. 

I will give it a shot, that still doesn't mean there aren't many flaws in it.  Landmark and Avante Garde were just two random schools replace them with Umatilla and Poinciana or Tavares. Bad teams, really bad teams could stick together and make the playoffs by playing each other. It will be interesting to see who tries to manipulate the system.

It will be exciting it still won't be fair but unfortunately there is no fair way unless we just give everyone a trophy.  At the end of the day the best team in each class will win the state title on the field.   

I'll give it a chance.  In fact, my school will probably not be effected at all, and maybe even benefit from the new system.  I never though it right that 3 team districts exist where a team can get into the playoffs with a 1-9 record while a 7-3 team in the next district sits out.  Also, some early round match-ups usually are tougher than the later rounds because of district vs district format.  But truthfully what bothers me the most is how the state legislature and the FHSAA have all but made recruiting legal and the trend that has been going on for the last five years or so where there are a few schools that benefit by seeing how many transfers they can get and thus compromise the whole purpose of having classification in the first place.  

I'll give it a chance. In fact, my school will probably not be effected at all, and maybe even benefit from the new system. I never though it right that 3 team districts exist where a team can get into the playoffs with a 1-9 record while a 7-3 team in the next district sits out. Also, some early round match-ups usually are tougher than the later rounds because of district vs district format. But truthfully what bothers me the most is how the state legislature and the FHSAA have all but made recruiting legal and the trend that has been going on for the last five years or so where there are a few schools that benefit by seeing how many transfers they can get and thus compromise the whole purpose of having classification in the first place.

Only can have so many on the field

STA can't get all the recruits

Other teams will get them and compete as well

Only can have so many on the field

STA can't get all the recruits

Other teams will get them and compete as well

Wrong!

When a 4a school like Cocoa comes on here and brags about getting as many transfers as they do, IMO, they aren't really a 4a school any more.  - Not picking on or disrespecting Cocoa, just using them as an example, its the system that allows it.  I can throw some others in.  Why was there such outrage towards Armwood in 2011 or Lakeland in 2006 because of the transfers they got?  Now its legal to "recruit", we just call it school choice.

Can only have so many on the field?  -  Again, and I will use 2013 as an example as I posted a long piece on this that year.  American Heritage Plantation breezed through the 5a playoffs that year.  Mr. Highschool, Steve Berry, wrote an article on the other site about AHP that they had more than 25 division 1 recruits on their team.  The top 6 public schools in 5a that year all had a roster between 45-55 players with 3-6 division 1 recruits.  So how does a school like AHP get a roster the size nearly double any other 5a public school and more than quadruple the number of division 1 prospects?  Please answer me that?  Its a rip-off to the rest of the public schools in that division.  AHP is really an 8a school playing in class 5a.   While only 11 play on the field at one time, show many any team that can last long with all their players going both ways?  Injuries happen!  A school like AHP or Cocoa or others can simply plug another player in.  The rest of us end up putting in a freshman or sophmore that isn't quite ready for varsity.  

Also to add on, FHSAA has commitments from nearly 40% of independent schools to return to the state series. A few of these independents will be joining district play. Most will be situated in 2A and 3A with 4A getting a few of those teams. Again, let's see what happens before we all say this is too complicated or it won't work. 

There is a very high probability there will be a new 3A (Most likely) or 2A District in Broward.  I can't confirm the teams but I can say that Westminster Academy, Calvary Christian, Pine Crest, St. Andrews, North Broward Prep, Somerset Academy, and Coral Springs Charter could be looking at a whole new 2017....

Wrong!

When a 4a school like Cocoa comes on here and brags about getting as many transfers as they do, IMO, they aren't really a 4a school any more. - Not picking on or disrespecting Cocoa, just using them as an example, its the system that allows it. I can throw some others in. Why was there such outrage towards Armwood in 2011 or Lakeland in 2006 because of the transfers they got? Now its legal to "recruit", we just call it school choice.

Can only have so many on the field? - Again, and I will use 2013 as an example as I posted a long piece on this that year. American Heritage Plantation breezed through the 5a playoffs that year. Mr. Highschool, Steve Berry, wrote an article on the other site about AHP that they had more than 25 division 1 recruits on their team. The top 6 public schools in 5a that year all had a roster between 45-55 players with 3-6 division 1 recruits. So how does a school like AHP get a roster the size nearly double any other 5a public school and more than quadruple the number of division 1 prospects? Please answer me that? Its a rip-off to the rest of the public schools in that division. AHP is really an 8a school playing in class 5a. While only 11 play on the field at one time, show many any team that can last long with all their players going both ways? Injuries happen! A school like AHP or Cocoa or others can simply plug another player in. The rest of us end up putting in a freshman or sophmore that isn't quite ready for varsity.

The ones who already been recruiting are gonna do it anyway

This rule just means publics can do it now so no more special treatment for those privates so teams can do what STA and AHP and Bolles and TCA been doing for years

This is going to be a complete disaster. We have the dumbest bunch of idiots running the fhsaa. The solutions are very simple.

1. Less classes.

2. Larger districts.

3. Champs and runner up make playoffs

4. Seperate public from private

5. Two champions bowls at the end of the playoffs. Optional participation. Can invite out of state teams if a champ bows out.

If you do 1,2, and 3 that would mean you reduced the number of playoff teams. 

I have a idea

1A: stays rural

2a combines 3a: small privates

4a and 5a: semi combines: (will explain)

6a: becomes semi large schools

7a: becomes largest big schools (enrolment of 2k or more)

8a: all large school privates ( 1k more enrollments so AHP, STA, Bishop morre, ect.)

Result

1A: rural

2a: same

3a: same

4a: becomes 4a and 5a publics combined

5a becomes 6a and some smaller 7a publics

6A: becomes large 7a and 8a publics

7A: becomes private schools over 1k enrollment

Does this sound good?

Sounds like the FHSAA has already made their decision and the current structure will last for 8 years unless its a complete disaster but even still it will last for 4 years so all the "ideas" are pointless at this point... 

The ones who already been recruiting are gonna do it anyway

This rule just means publics can do it now so no more special treatment for those privates so teams can do what STA and AHP and Bolles and TCA been doing for years

I think if you are going to allow it, either (1). limit the roster size and number of transfers a program can take, or (2) if a program takes in too many transfers, play up in a higher classification.    Those programs in urban/metro areas obviously have an advantage over those in smaller counties to "attract" all the players to their programs.  Colubiahighfan, you being from a one high school county should be able to understand that.  

I think if you are going to allow it, either (1). limit the roster size and number of transfers a program can take, or (2) if a program takes in too many transfers, play up in a higher classification. Those programs in urban/metro areas obviously have an advantage over those in smaller counties to "attract" all the players to their programs. Colubiahighfan, you being from a one high school county should be able to understand that.

Oh I do

What I'm saying is those big city schools were "recruiting" for years and would still do it wether this rule in place or not so why should only big cities be allowed to while small rural schools have to scratch and claw with home grown talent just to stay competitive

Wrong!

When a 4a school like Cocoa comes on here and brags about getting as many transfers as they do, IMO, they aren't really a 4a school any more.  - Not picking on or disrespecting Cocoa, just using them as an example, its the system that allows it.  I can throw some others in.  Why was there such outrage towards Armwood in 2011 or Lakeland in 2006 because of the transfers they got?  Now its legal to "recruit", we just call it school choice.

Can only have so many on the field?  -  Again, and I will use 2013 as an example as I posted a long piece on this that year.  American Heritage Plantation breezed through the 5a playoffs that year.  Mr. Highschool, Steve Berry, wrote an article on the other site about AHP that they had more than 25 division 1 recruits on their team.  The top 6 public schools in 5a that year all had a roster between 45-55 players with 3-6 division 1 recruits.  So how does a school like AHP get a roster the size nearly double any other 5a public school and more than quadruple the number of division 1 prospects?  Please answer me that?  Its a rip-off to the rest of the public schools in that division.  AHP is really an 8a school playing in class 5a.   While only 11 play on the field at one time, show many any team that can last long with all their players going both ways?  Injuries happen!  A school like AHP or Cocoa or others can simply plug another player in.  The rest of us end up putting in a freshman or sophmore that isn't quite ready for varsity.  

Cocoa bragged about getting transfers?  I thought Cocoa was all hush-hush on here about transfers actually.

Well 2013 was 2013 but I can guarantee you that in 2015 , 5A Coconut Creek and Hallandale had much smaller rosters but put out more D1 players than AHP.  It may have been a unique year but those are facts.  More talent and much, much smaller rosters and they are both public schools.  2016 AHP  had a lot more than those schools though.  I think it goes in cycles but schools like AHP always consistently are going to have more talent as it is easier for them to be consistent with talent.  I see your point though.

Cocoa bragged about getting transfers? I thought Cocoa was all hush-hush on here about transfers actually.

Well 2013 was 2013 but I can guarantee you that in 2015 , 5A Coconut Creek and Hallandale had much smaller rosters but put out more D1 players than AHP. It may have been a unique year but those are facts. More talent and much, much smaller rosters and they are both public schools. 2016 AHP had a lot more than those schools though. I think it goes in cycles but schools like AHP always consistently are going to have more talent as it is easier for them to be consistent with talent. I see your point though.

After AHPs HC left they can't recruit like they did down in Miami that's why!!!

IF any school public or private wants to recruit or get all these transfers let them but they should be forced to play up two classifications!!!!!!

BrowardHandicapper: It was a thread on the Flvarsity board that Cocoa bragged about how many transfers in they were getting.   https://flavarsity.forums.rivals.com/threads/cocoa-tiger-football.7965/#post-60069

BTW, prior to 2013 AHP rarely got past the first or second round of the playoffs, 1998 the one year they made a title run.  

After AHPs HC left they can't recruit like they did down in Miami that's why!!!

IF any school public or private wants to recruit or get all these transfers let them but they should be forced to play up two classifications!!!!!!

AHP's roster was never Miami loaded.  FHSAA does not allow "recruiting" ( transfers galore to a private school I'll give you) and most of their roster are kids within 8 miles of the school.

Geez...Really gets under your skin eh?  

If it makes you feel betterAHD and AHPs  programs have basically peaked.  Maybe 1 or 2 more strong years.  Things are going to be changing over there......  Not going to get into details but I would say by 2018 '19-ish their rosters and depth won't be as D1 loaded.  I'll just leave it at that.

AHP's roster was never Miami loaded. FHSAA does not allow "recruiting" and most of their roster are kids within 8 miles of the school.

Geez...Really gets under your skin eh?

If it makes you feel betterAHD and AHPs programs have basically peaked. Maybe 1 or 2 more strong years. Things are going to be changing over there...... Not going to get into details but I would say by 2018 '19-ish their rosters and depth won't be as D1 loaded. I'll just leave it at that.

Another school gonna start grabbing them?

What schools will they have to compete with over in broward county that are publics might i ask?

There is no "competing" with...I don't want to go down this road again but kids (and their parents influience) actually want to go to schools like AHP for more than football.  Some take advantage of the opportunity to be part of a great football program and academic program.....While some want to stay put at their "home" or public school.....You could only relate if you live in Broward or Dade but this concept of a school like AHP is recruiting all of the best players is overblown.  I can name 5-10 public schools last year in Broward and Dade that put out as much or more D1 talent than AHP. If AHP has all of the talent then why does the best WR ( Deerfield Beach)  and DB (Flanagan)  in Broward play for public schools?  How much better are AHP's RBs than Carol City or Miami Centrals :) ?  How many QBs are as good as the AHP QB in SFL?  AHP is stacked at secondary , I'll give you that. 

If I told you Southridge has 18 Seniors with FBS offers and 11 of them were 3* recruits or higher would you believe me?  Probably not because everyone is too busy counting heads at AHP assuming they are hoarding all of the best players.  Unless you live down here, it is very hard to relate.

I'll bet you that the BTW versus Cocoa PUBLIC, Carol City versus Mainland PUBLIC game both have more talent on the field and FBS recruits combined than the AHP versus Bishop Moore PRIVATE game!  Yet the private schools are "recruiting" all of the talent  :rolleyes: Heck, probably Delray Atlantic versus Deerfield Beach and Southridge versus Coral Gables do as well  B)

Can anyone explain how all of that talent escaped from the Private schools?

The points system is now officially set in stone...

Biggest changes:

- Losses are reduced by 5 points in each category. This makes losses hurt more now than previously when first proposed.

- Teams will get 3 bonus points for scheduling a team that reached the playoffs in the previous two-year cycle. For 2017 & 2018 schedules that will be 2015 & 2016. So if a team made it both years, you only get 3 points - not six. If a team made it one of those two years you get 3 points. The bonus points will carry over for two years, so if you get a team that has 15 bonus points for playing 5 playoff teams, they will have those 15 bonus points to carry both into 2017 and 2018 seasons. This helps some of the issues of playing a team that could have a down year. Also teams will get bonus points for playing out-of-state teams as long as they reached their respective association's playoffs using the same years involved as Florida.

Overall, this now puts the focus even more on winning which is great.

I am working on how it would have looked for the playoffs this year now with this new info.

More: http://floridahsfootball.com/2016/11/21/fhsaa-officially-sets-points-points-system-2017-2018/

Joshua,

If a school made the playoffs in 2017 would this affect the bonus points for 2018 or do only the 2015 & 2016 playoffs count?

Thanks in Advance,

First take all teams that have averaged 3 wins or less per year over the last ten years and let them go to 7 man, flag football, or badminton but they are just clogging up the system.

1A  Public schools up to 650 and private schools up to 250

2A  Public schools 651- 1000 

3A  Public schools 1001-1500 and private schools 250-600

4A  Public schools  1501-2000

5A  Public schools 2000+ and pivate schools 601+

*If a charter school that does not offer football is feeding players to your school add total student population of both schools for classification

*Playoffs based on strength of schedule with champions provision for any team that has won a state championship is guaranteed a playoff berth by winning 70% of their regular season games.