FHSAA sets points system in stone

Joshua Wilson

I hear you just don't forget these factors before it gets under the skin.  Before you saw all of this funny stuff wasn't SFL still producing strong teams (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000 -2010?  

Anything relative to private schools involving "transfers" is a moot point regarding rules.

Just remember also that school zones are set up differently in heavily populated areas.  It is not uncommon for a student in the Broward South end and Dade North end to be zoned for 2-4 different schools. I guess they are trying to prevent overcrowding in the public schools or something.  Do you honestly believe this started happening to create better HS football teams?

There are also specialty/magnet schools and last but not least a lot and I hate to word it like this,  but a lot of people in Broward and Dade don't "own" homes.  We rent apartments with 7 month to 1 year leases.  Point being is it is not uncommon for us to move around.  Broken families is another aspect....

Do you expect a lot to change since the rules are applied universally now?  Will SFL struggle to be as dominant now?  Will Cocoa and Mainland fall back? 

Broward - to answer your second question,  what I'm afraid is going to happen now that open transfer rules are in place, is that in places like Tampa, Fort Myers, or Orlando, is that one program will attract all the top talent and breeze through the season until the finals when they play a team from SFL.  Now who will it be and how long will it last that one program will dominate will depend on how well that program works the system or some one else comes along and beats them at it.   We are getting close to that now.

Broward - to answer your second question, what I'm afraid is going to happen now that open transfer rules are in place, is that in places like Tampa, Fort Myers, or Orlando, is that one program will attract all the top talent and breeze through the season until the finals when they play a team from SFL. Now who will it be and how long will it last that one program will dominate will depend on how well that program works the system or some one else comes along and beats them at it. We are getting close to that now.

Apparently that is what the majority wanted for changes stateside.

They will have to live with the outcome for better or worse.

I don't know the solution. Maybe it is time for a Division 1 and Division 2 in FL in the future.

Apparently that is what the majority wanted for changes stateside.

They will have to live with the outcome for better or worse.

I don't know the solution. Maybe it is time for a Division 1 and Division 2 in FL in the future.

Division 1 and Division 2 ? I though we have that now in the form of classification? Or, do you mean a division 1 and division 2 in each class? People complain that there are too many classes now. My answer to the problem is not well liked.

So I have a math question that I would like someone to check for me.

In 7A district 12 you have 3 teams

Gulf Coast the district winner this year had a record of 7-3 reg season and with the current points system recieves 290 points

South Fort Myers runner up at 9-1 with the current points system gets 405 points.

I picked a random team at 5-5 which ended up being South Fork which if my math is correct would have earned 300 points

Seems that being a district winner would prove more important than anything based off of this math.

Am I missing the point? If you win your district regardless of who is in it you are automatically in as one of the 16 ?

I'm going to respectfully disagree on this one DarterBlue2.....You actually believe that STA and AHP in Broward are more of a monopoly with talent then say Bolles and TCA in Jacksonville????  I don't think it's even close.  Relative to the area TCA and Bolles combined probably scoop up 50-60% of the FBS talent.  STA and AHP combined were probably less than 20% of Broward.    I don't know the Tampa area well enough to make an opinion but I am pretty confident that TCA and Bolles SIGNIFICANTLY and proportionately have their hand on more talent in Jacksonville than AHP and STA in Broward.  

I also am not talking about low tier D1 talent, Coconut Creek, Flanagan, Deerfield Beach, Hallandale (and others) all had players on their rosters at certain positions that STA and AHP could not match.  Can you say the same about the best of the best in Jacksonville?

The illusion that AHP and STA are more of a monopoly than TCA/Bolles is simply because it is more concentrated and more talent rich.    If you dissect and truly look at D1 talent and relate to monopoly and what they have their hand on - Jacksonville privates take the cake.  

I did not say that. I said Bolles and Trinity Christian operate on the same basis as Aquinas and recently AHP. Now you could argue with that, and I see where TC and Bolles probably have a more devastating impact than Aquinas and AHP. But that is because there is more quality talent to go around in SF than in Jacksonville. Regarding the Tampa Bay area, there are several good privates including: Tampa Catholic, Tampa Jesuit, Berkeley Prep, Clearwater Central Catholic and others. So none of these schools can easily attract the level of talent that Aquinas can year in and year out. In Orlando, until recently with Bishop Moore, the privates have not focused much on building a State caliber team. It remains to be seen whether BM will continue to try and compete at the State level, or the past three years have been an aberration.

I love how people justify their recruits err transfers by saying others do it more.  Cocoa got tired of getting their ass beat by BTW and went out and tried to stack the deck in their favor.  We will see if it pays off on Friday.  

Athletes came to Cocoa because they wanted to play for a good team and possibly get a scholarship in a sport they love to play.

Cocoa doesn't need to recruit. Some good Athletes want to play for a winning team. I know many schools that have transfers in other sports that enrich their teams. Cocoa has a great football program. They develop athletes in every area of football.

Tell me Booker T doesn't get transfers. Tell me Miami Central doesn't get transfers. Tell me most of the better football programs do not get transfers. Name one really good school that didn't get transfers this year. Just one.

I hear you just don't forget these factors before it gets under the skin.  Before you saw all of this funny stuff wasn't SFL still producing strong teams (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000 -2010?  

Anything relative to private schools involving "transfers" is a moot point regarding rules.

Just remember also that school zones are set up differently in heavily populated areas.  It is not uncommon for a student in the Broward South end and Dade North end to be zoned for 2-4 different schools. I guess they are trying to prevent overcrowding in the public schools or something.  Do you honestly believe this started happening to create better HS football teams?

There are also specialty/magnet schools and last but not least a lot and I hate to word it like this,  but a lot of people in Broward and Dade don't "own" homes.  We rent apartments with 7 month to 1 year leases.  Point being is it is not uncommon for us to move around.  Broken families is another aspect....

Do you expect a lot to change since the rules are applied universally now?  Will SFL struggle to be as dominant now?  Will Cocoa and Mainland fall back? 

Jacksonville is a huge city, and it isn't as compact as Miami, meaning more schools that are close to each other.

Also South Florida develops athletes at an early age in league and Pop Warner ball and they groom the better athletes and keep them in sports until high school. North Florida doesn't seem to push the young athletes as hard in sports as they do toward academics.

Central Florida is where you see a mix of both and on occasions good teams come out of the Central Florida area. Manatee, Armwood, DP, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Cocoa, and Lakeland are just a few off the top. There are many more. Most of these schools also push for academics.

Just another opinion.

Athletes came to Cocoa because they wanted to play for a good team and possibly get a scholarship in a sport they love to play.

Cocoa doesn't need to recruit. Some good Athletes want to play for a winning team. I know many schools that have transfers in other sports that enrich their teams. Cocoa has a great football program. They develop athletes in every area of football.

Tell me Booker T doesn't get transfers. Tell me Miami Central doesn't get transfers. Tell me most of the better football programs do not get transfers. Name one really good school that didn't get transfers this year. Just one.

Once again blaming others. Apopka didn't get any. Timber Creek didn't get any. Seminole didn't get any. Osceola didn't get any. LAke Brantley didn't get any. IF these schools did they didn't get many and no where near 15. 15 kids don't just show up to one school to play football. Are you telling me Palm Bay, Merrit Island, Heritage don't get kids into college? Kids are going to move around but 15 is a little fishy. Seems like someone has been promoting hard. We will see in a day if it paid off

Once again blaming others. Apopka didn't get any. Timber Creek didn't get any. Seminole didn't get any. Osceola didn't get any. LAke Brantley didn't get any. IF these schools did they didn't get many and no where near 15. 15 kids don't just show up to one school to play football. Are you telling me Palm Bay, Merrit Island, Heritage don't get kids into college? Kids are going to move around but 15 is a little fishy. Seems like someone has been promoting hard. We will see in a day if it paid off

Every team gonna get 1 or 2 every year but 15, that very interesting

Jacksonville is a huge city, and it isn't as compact as Miami, meaning more schools that are close to each other.

Also South Florida develops athletes at an early age in league and Pop Warner ball and they groom the better athletes and keep them in sports until high school. North Florida doesn't seem to push the young athletes as hard in sports as they do toward academics.

Central Florida is where you see a mix of both and on occasions good teams come out of the Central Florida area. Manatee, Armwood, DP, Palm Bay, Rockledge, Cocoa, and Lakeland are just a few off the top. There are many more. Most of these schools also push for academics.

Just another opinion.

Dade and Broward always have transfers. Not only the good schools get transfers but everyschool down here get transfers.. but the thing with it down here it don't always be the best D-1 player is transferring.. Like last year Keyon Pie I forgot his last name but you can say he was the top Wr playing at Miami High last year.. But he lived closer to Booker t... Why didn't he transfer to Booker t or Jackson or the west or so on and so on? I tell you this ain't no schools getting 10-15 transfers a year unless your a private school like STA ... Like this incoming year I can tell you Booker T had the most 4 to 5 transfers... One of the transfers came from STA... I'm cool with one of the coaches at Cocoa and I already know a couple of transfers their getting...

Open transfer

How is it abuse if it is allowed? LOL  That is exactly why they changed the rule....What would constitute playing within the rules and playing by  "abusing "  the rule to you?

If the speed limit is 65 mph and I drive 65 then they raise it to 75 mph and I drive 75 mph ALL DAY - Is that abuse?  Or am I within the law (or rules).

Is that where we are going in the future with the open transfer .  If the same teams are still dominating they are "abusing " the rules - even though they are following and within them  :rolleyes:  .

Dade and Broward always have transfers. Not only the good schools get transfers but everyschool down here get transfers.. but the thing with it down here it don't always be the best D-1 player is transferring.. Like last year Keyon Pie I forgot his last name but you can say he was the top Wr playing at Miami High last year.. But he lived closer to Booker t... Why didn't he transfer to Booker t or Jackson or the west or so on and so on? I tell you this ain't no schools getting 10-15 transfers a year unless your a private school like STA ... Like this incoming year I can tell you Booker T had the most 4 to 5 transfers... One of the transfers came from STA... I'm cool with one of the coaches at Cocoa and I already know a couple of transfers their getting...

Keyshawn 'Pie' Young

How is it abuse if it is allowed? LOL That is exactly why they changed the rule....What would constitute playing within the rules and playing by "abusing " the rule to you?

If the speed limit is 65 mph and I drive 65 then they raise it to 75 mph and I drive 75 mph ALL DAY - Is that abuse? Or am I within the law (or rules).

Is that where we are going in the future with the open transfer . If the same teams are still dominating they are "abusing " the rules - even though they are following and within them :rolleyes: .

Ik it legal but getting like say 20 would be pushing it

Don't you think? 😇

Ik it legal but getting like say 20 would be pushing it

Don't you think?

The rule is the rule, is the rule, is the rule.

If a certain school has a better back yard to pick from is it their fault to play within the rules?  You know damn well that all of the schools pointing fingers would  do the same damn thing if they had the luxury.

Cat_Scratch What you're saying is true but in Miami it's different. Yes kids do transfer into other schools but a lot of the talent come from the neighborhoods. Overtown, Allapattah, Brownsville, Liberty City and Miami Gardens.

I agree, They play together and remember who is who and when they get to High School they like to band back together. I don't bash anyone for transfers if it's all according to the rules, I just don't like when someone gets a little funky because one of the schools gets a lot of transfers to even the playing field and someone pops off with they're tired of getting their ass whooped so they load up on transfers. Of course they are tired of getting their ass whooped. Of course they want to even the playing field. And of course they followed the rules in getting transfers just like most other schools.

I agree, They play together and remember who is who and when they get to High School they like to band back together. I don't bash anyone for transfers if it's all according to the rules, I just don't like when someone gets a little funky because one of the schools gets a lot of transfers to even the playing field and someone pops off with they're tired of getting their ass whooped so they load up on transfers. Of course they are tired of getting their ass whooped. Of course they want to even the playing field. And of course they followed the rules in getting transfers just like most other schools.

I don't have no problem with the transfers either.. Not us down here complaining... That's why we don't never trip about STA getting all those transers and I know why they get them or should I say why all the kids flock over there...

So I have a math question that I would like someone to check for me.

In 7A district 12 you have 3 teams

Gulf Coast the district winner this year had a record of 7-3 reg season and with the current points system recieves 290 points

South Fort Myers runner up at 9-1 with the current points system gets 405 points.

I picked a random team at 5-5 which ended up being South Fork which if my math is correct would have earned 300 points

Seems that being a district winner would prove more important than anything based off of this math.

Am I missing the point? If you win your district regardless of who is in it you are automatically in as one of the 16 ?

My understanding is that if you are district champs, you are in the playoffs regardless of record or points, and will be seeded no lower than 4th seed with home field in round one.  The points are used to determine the remaining teams in the playoffs.