Updated Districts and Regions for football

Joshua Wilson

I was just told we have 1200 students and half of them are from middle school that gets counted cause we have 1 principle instead of 2 WTF i cant belive grades 6-8 get counted when they cant even play High school sports at our school anyways I know other high schools use there 8 graders to play like Hamilton does.

Nobody from your middle school is counted. Only 9-12. 

The only way you can have more students than you actually have enrolled in the school is if you are an all-boys or an all-girls school, then your enrollment number is doubled. 

That's not how it works Ft White fan. You guys had over 600 last count 2 years ago. I'm assuming the number has gone up since then. You guys appealed to be in 1A last cycle and they allowed it. I guess maybe this time you guys were to far to let it slide.

Nobody has made appeals yet. Fort White can appeal again and go through the exact same process they did last time. 

Hope the little mice (Aucilla, Munroe, St. JP2, Oak Hall, St Joseph, St Francis. St John, Lutheran, etc) in 2A don't drop out, like they usually do, after seeing who they have to play. Rocky Bayou, with over twice almost all of their enrollments, opted to cower in the Independents.

All the independents that came back in made the request to come back in not the FHSAA assigning them and then they see and run. Not what is going to happen here. There is no mandate to play other teams in your region. All of them choose to come back in because things now fit for them. 

All the independents that came back in made the request to come back in not the FHSAA assigning them and then they see and run. Not what is going to happen here. There is no mandate to play other teams in your region. All of them choose to come back in because things now fit for them. 

Then what is the point of remaining Independent?  :blink:

What is the purpose of regions if you don't have to play anyone from your region.  It seems to me if you have 4 regions they are planning on 4 teams from each region making the playoffs. It seems you would want the 4 best teams not the 4 best at manipulating a schedule.  Also you are still not going to have the 16 best teams in the playoffs so the whole is pointless unless unless you take the 16 best statewide but then there will be years that entire regions may not have a playoff team.  But I guess what they wanted to do is keep the things that were wrong with the old system and add a bunch of scheduling issues for coaches to deal with.

I was just told we have 1200 students and half of them are from middle school that gets counted cause we have 1 principle instead of 2 WTF i cant belive grades 6-8 get counted when they cant even play High school sports at our school anyways I know other high schools use there 8 graders to play like Hamilton does.

As of 2015, FWHS has 598 per FHSAA

6-8 does not count towards your student population numbers. 2016 #s have not been released, but if they are putting FWHS, Newberry, and Baldwin in 3A than they are over 600.

What is the purpose of regions if you don't have to play anyone from your region.  It seems to me if you have 4 regions they are planning on 4 teams from each region making the playoffs. It seems you would want the 4 best teams not the 4 best at manipulating a schedule.  Also you are still not going to have the 16 best teams in the playoffs so the whole is pointless unless unless you take the 16 best statewide but then there will be years that entire regions may not have a playoff team.  But I guess what they wanted to do is keep the things that were wrong with the old system and add a bunch of scheduling issues for coaches to deal with.

I have said it many times now. The new playoff system does not solve the issue of competitiveness. It actually just makes it so coaches can try and game the system. The district was simple and allowed you to mostly play that you wanted.

The problem is that we continue to have teams in classification who out play the level of competition due to numerous reasons (transfers, recruiting, etc). So move them up a classification (exemptions for 1A and 2A). Move poor teams down. It evens out the competitive levels. Shrink the classifications by 1 and you can eliminate 3 and 4 team districts.

I have said it many times now. The new playoff system does not solve the issue of competitiveness. It actually just makes it so coaches can try and game the system. The district was simple and allowed you to mostly play that you wanted.

The problem is that we continue to have teams in classification who out play the level of competition due to numerous reasons (transfers, recruiting, etc). So move them up a classification (exemptions for 1A and 2A). Move poor teams down. It evens out the competitive levels. Shrink the classifications by 1 and you can eliminate 3 and 4 team districts.

Gatorman, can you just give the system a chance to play itself out for these first two years? FHSAA has already said once the first two years are done they will revisit and see if any changes are needing to be made. This thing you want with promotion and relegation might look good on paper, but just highly unrealistic because then you got to consider geographical issues as well and if you got more bad teams moving down in one area than another you get a major imbalance. Plus I have yet to see a state association do something like this. Every state assigns schools based enrollments not based on team sizes. My thing is if you are tired of your school losing, change the culture, do things that can make you a winner. Complaining gets no one anywhere and then you wonder why kids do leave for other programs. 

Then what is the point of remaining Independent?  :blink:

Because most of the teams left staying independent are either in the Sunshine State Athletic Conference or they are a school like IMG that can't compete in the state series due to agreement or Florida Deaf and Blind that has students from all over the state and their schedule wouldn't flex as easy to accommodate a potential playoff appearance. 

There are at least five more independents that I am aware of that will be back in the state series when the final list is released next week with one team that was on the list and is going to the SSAC. So far to see these teams feel like they have a chance at something is incredible. If FHSAA had left things status quo one we would have seen more teams head for independent status, and second merging classifications wouldn't necessarily be the solution. At that point you are talking 2A being possibly 0-600 or 700? A lot of the schools would say no thank you to that. 

Because most of the teams left staying independent are either in the Sunshine State Athletic Conference or they are a school like IMG that can't compete in the state series due to agreement or Florida Deaf and Blind that has students from all over the state and their schedule wouldn't flex as easy to accommodate a potential playoff appearance. 

There are at least five more independents that I am aware of that will be back in the state series when the final list is released next week with one team that was on the list and is going to the SSAC. So far to see these teams feel like they have a chance at something is incredible. If FHSAA had left things status quo one we would have seen more teams head for independent status, and second merging classifications wouldn't necessarily be the solution. At that point you are talking 2A being possibly 0-600 or 700? A lot of the schools would say no thank you to that. 

WOW that sounds like 1A 0- 600 Hmmmm Why the double standard for private Josh?

WOW that sounds like 1A 0- 600 Hmmmm Why the double standard for private Josh?

Not the double standard. There are not enough teams if you set 1A say 1-450. You wouldn't have enough football teams to make a class. Thus why 600 was set at the cap. FHSAA had intended the cap to be around 500 when this was started with 1A, but they didn't have enough football schools to have reasonable numbers.

However, the reasons like Oak Hall and St. Francis staying independent for so long was in 2011 when they got assigned to Class 3A they got placed in the same district with Trinity Catholic who was more than double each of those school's enrollments. That is where the problem lies in when the smaller private schools who are trying to do right go against a school that stacks its roster. 

Also please stop saying 1A is public and 2A is private. Both are neither and will never be fully that. A rural private school can be in 1A as long as they meet the requirements. Moore Haven and Village Academy are public schools in 2A.