Updated Districts and Regions for football

Joshua Wilson

Maybe i should have said if 600 is good for 1A then why is it not good for 2A? I understand that the FHSAA wants to bring back most of the independents i am just trying to shine a light on a few small 1A schools that have a low population that have to deal with the other schools that have population 3 times there size. You and FHSAA can ignore it all you like but it's still a problem for a few schools.  If it's correct for 1A then it must be correct for 2A as well just my 2 cents. I know nothing is ever 100 % fair and this may be a good starting point but teams like Jeff-co or hawthorne may be better suited in 2A if given the opportunity. 

You can defend the FHSAA all you want Josh but the fact is the whole urban and rural tag is just so it's not called public and private. You just acknowledged that teams "stack" their rosters, or in other words recruit. So instead of dealing with that which would fix most of the problems with all of the teams being independent, they completely revamp the entire playoff system. How about just enforce the rules that were already in place. We all know that will never happen because there is ZERO transparency with the FHSAA. They set standards then change with no reason or protocol whatsoever. When the whole rural class was talked about they discussed a class with 32 teams and they said they would NEVER allow a class under that(32) so that's how the 600 limit came about to have enough teams. What happens 2 years later, 2A and 3A are operating under 32 teams. They could very easily say 1A is the lowest 36 teams in school population, then you wouldn't have schools manipulating enrollment numbers to get under a certain number. I could go on and on about the incompetence of that organization but that's enough for now. You let me know where I'm wrong Josh.

You can defend the FHSAA all you want Josh but the fact is the whole urban and rural tag is just so it's not called public and private. You just acknowledged that teams "stack" their rosters, or in other words recruit. So instead of dealing with that which would fix most of the problems with all of the teams being independent, they completely revamp the entire playoff system. How about just enforce the rules that were already in place. We all know that will never happen because there is ZERO transparency with the FHSAA. They set standards then change with no reason or protocol whatsoever. When the whole rural class was talked about they discussed a class with 32 teams and they said they would NEVER allow a class under that(32) so that's how the 600 limit came about to have enough teams. What happens 2 years later, 2A and 3A are operating under 32 teams. They could very easily say 1A is the lowest 36 teams in school population, then you wouldn't have schools manipulating enrollment numbers to get under a certain number. I could go on and on about the incompetence of that organization but that's enough for now. You let me know where I'm wrong Josh.

Look...all I am going to say is this...these aren't the last of the changes the FHSAA is likely to make to football or the entire classification system itself. No way they could make all the changes possible in one clean sweep. This is only a start. I truly believe the FHSAA will eventually enforce a private school multiplier, something I really feel ought to be done. If that were to happen then you would solve some of these issues you all keep talking about. And no the FHSAA can't just call 1A public and 2A private... Tallahassee would totally go bonkers on them. Maybe they might have to do with 1A rural and go back to what it was as 1A is your smallest schools and go up. We will see. But the changes aren't done being made, but they aren't all going to come overnight either. 

It's funny because Mainland's road to Orlando was by beating Central and this year they came down and scooped then out. Now Central doesn't make the playoffs, but you still have a Miami school in and it's Carol City who beat Mainland. So now Mainland wants 8A as it's new home and one would wonder if that's a good fit.

Josh if these complaints were just from this year I might agree with you but this has been echoed year after year. They stick their head in the sand and do nothing. They basically revamped the entire system because a bunch of small private schools weren't happy. Do you know how long it took public schools to get the Rural division??? Years and years of complaining and finally they do something. But in 1 year of a bunch of new private schools that may not even be around in 10 years all go independent the FHSAA revamps the entire playoff system lure them back in the fold.

Sounds like you're just a Mainland hater. No one is ducking Dade County. The district that Mainland is in does not allow them to get the competition that they want week in and week out. Who's your team, sounds like you just hate it because your team can't beat Mainland. Besides there will still be South Florida teams in 8A. Going 7A or 8A will give them more competition right away besides the teams outside of their district.

not a Mainland hater at all.  was at the Carol City game rooting for Mainland.  The fact is they are 6A and are only trying to move to 8A to avoid Central and Carol City in the third round.  Mainland will still kill the other district in 8A.  The only thing this has  to do with is competing for a championship.  Go out and schedule 6 tough teams not in the district if you want better competition.   By the way my team is one of the few that has done better than Mainland.  But that really doesn't matter.  

Sounds like you're just a Mainland hater. No one is ducking Dade County. The district that Mainland is in does not allow them to get the competition that they want week in and week out. Who's your team, sounds like you just hate it because your team can't beat Mainland. Besides there will still be South Florida teams in 8A. Going 7A or 8A will give them more competition right away besides the teams outside of their district.

How am I a hater if that statement was aim towards me?

Even though mainland might have been best 8a team for several of last few years the 8a is by far the most competitive class so i see no real issue with it

It is much easier right now to win 8A over 7A or 6A.  STA, Venice, Carol City, Northwestern, Miami Central, Plant would all win 8A this year 

You say your team is better than Mainland but remains nameless. There are few that have better success than Mainland. The reasoning behind the move is to be able to schedule tougher teams. The way it is now there is very little room to schedule teams. There are 5 teams in the district (Deltona, Matanzas, New Smyrna, Seabreeze, and Pine Ridge), plus Mainland's A.D. schedules Deland and Flagler every year for the money games and its tradition. So that leaves only three weeks left. Mainland scheduled DP, Cocoa, and Bartram Trail. By moving to 8A and put into the suspected district the Deland and Flagler game will already be there and not have to be scheduled outside of the district, that frees up two extra weeks to schedule whoever. So Mainland still has five district games but also has 5 weeks to schedule whoever, well probably 4 weeks because Seabreeze is the rival. There was a lot of thought that went into the move and it had nothing to do with dodging Dade County. The head coach didn't want to move at first because of people saying this exact same thing. Mainland has the students to be 7A but petitioned for 8A because of travel. There are no 7A teams in Volusia County. Mainland would have to travel to St. Johns County and Alachua County in 7A whereas 8A there would only be one trip that was farther and that would be in Duval county.