Updated Districts and Regions for football

Joshua Wilson

You say your team is better than Mainland but remains nameless. There are few that have better success than Mainland. The reasoning behind the move is to be able to schedule tougher teams. The way it is now there is very little room to schedule teams. There are 5 teams in the district (Deltona, Matanzas, New Smyrna, Seabreeze, and Pine Ridge), plus Mainland's A.D. schedules Deland and Flagler every year for the money games and its tradition. So that leaves only three weeks left. Mainland scheduled DP, Cocoa, and Bartram Trail. By moving to 8A and put into the suspected district the Deland and Flagler game will already be there and not have to be scheduled outside of the district, that frees up two extra weeks to schedule whoever. So Mainland still has five district games but also has 5 weeks to schedule whoever, well probably 4 weeks because Seabreeze is the rival. There was a lot of thought that went into the move and it had nothing to do with dodging Dade County. The head coach didn't want to move at first because of people saying this exact same thing. Mainland has the students to be 7A but petitioned for 8A because of travel. There are no 7A teams in Volusia County. Mainland would have to travel to St. Johns County and Alachua County in 7A whereas 8A there would only be one trip that was farther and that would be in Duval county.  

so one more game?  If the fhsaa lets Mainland move they should let everyone just pick their class.  There is only one team in Central Fl with a better resume the last decade than Mainland and three others with similar resumes.  You figure it out.  By the way your team backed out of a game with them a few years ago.

What team do you want me to represent dude. This is about Mainland not me. You must be the guy that does the pop Warner shoulder pad pop drill at the beginning of the game.

That was one of my must do drills during pre game when I first started coaching. Needless to say it is no longer part of our pre game warm ups. Ahhhh the good times. lol

Just cut off sections of Florida and do it by congressional districts. 

Panhandle plays Panhandle. 

Tallahassee big schools play each other, and the rural schools play rural.

The best team of each district plays in a 27 bowl size game. Rural plays there own bowl. Teams can still schedule outside of district to fill in their own schedule. Relative geography, and teams can still schedule hard games if they want.

Done, problem solved. 

The point is you criticize but you ashamed to tell who you represent. Those that are inferior tend to shy away from that heat. Mainland is just fine and the premier team in the Central Florida area.

There have been quite a few central florida teams make the finals over the past 5 or more years and none of them is named mainland. They are a great program but calling them the premier team in central florida might be a stretch. 

You say your team is better than Mainland but remains nameless. There are few that have better success than Mainland. The reasoning behind the move is to be able to schedule tougher teams. The way it is now there is very little room to schedule teams. There are 5 teams in the district (Deltona, Matanzas, New Smyrna, Seabreeze, and Pine Ridge), plus Mainland's A.D. schedules Deland and Flagler every year for the money games and its tradition. So that leaves only three weeks left. Mainland scheduled DP, Cocoa, and Bartram Trail. By moving to 8A and put into the suspected district the Deland and Flagler game will already be there and not have to be scheduled outside of the district, that frees up two extra weeks to schedule whoever. So Mainland still has five district games but also has 5 weeks to schedule whoever, well probably 4 weeks because Seabreeze is the rival. There was a lot of thought that went into the move and it had nothing to do with dodging Dade County. The head coach didn't want to move at first because of people saying this exact same thing. Mainland has the students to be 7A but petitioned for 8A because of travel. There are no 7A teams in Volusia County. Mainland would have to travel to St. Johns County and Alachua County in 7A whereas 8A there would only be one trip that was farther and that would be in Duval county.

Please coach, don't make him mention Willie Green. My nightmares and cold sweats could return...

coachog Mainland is one of the best teams in the state you don't have to justify Mainlands performance. I'm not going to make this personal which is why I won't tell you who I rep and it really doesn't matter. I just don't like teams trying to switch classes. I can understand some reasons for it like teams in 4a wanting to be in a district and moving up to 5a which by the way I still don't like it. Put teams in a class and make them play. IT seems like we just give in to whatever everyone wants instead of making people deal with the hand that has been given to them. Good luck to you and if Mainland moves to 8A and makes it to the state title I will root for them. Just like I rooted for Apopka Bishop Moore Osceola Dr Phillips Boone Lake Brantley Warner Christian Seminole and any other team that has made it the last 15 years.

Personally I think numbers shouldn't matter with certain schools because depending on who it is can play with just about anybody. You take Booker T. Washington and Cocoa for examples. Both of these schools are in 4A, however moving them up a classification I think wouldn't hurt them at all because they would win and some might say American Heritage but remember Booker T. Washington beat the breaks off them in the preseason game.

Another thing I need to add in is rival schools. Miami Central is a good example. Central could move up but the problem with that is scheduling. 7A district 16 has 9 schools so if you're Central who's the last game Northwestern, Carol City, Booker T. Washington or OOS game and then 8A. 8A district 13 has 6 schools which again if you're Central you schedule Northwestern, Carol City and Booker T. Washington which leads one open spot. Do you schedule OOS, in state game or cupcake game. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see why Mainland is moving up to 8A.

Personally I think numbers shouldn't matter with certain schools because depending on who it is can play with just about anybody. You take Booker T. Washington and Cocoa for examples. Both of these schools are in 4A, however moving them up a classification I think wouldn't hurt them at all because they would win and some might say American Heritage but remember Booker T. Washington beat the breaks off them in the preseason game.

Another thing I need to add in is rival schools. Miami Central is a good example. Central could move up but the problem with that is scheduling. 7A district 16 has 9 schools so if you're Central who's the last game Northwestern, Carol City, Booker T. Washington or OOS game and then 8A. 8A district 13 has 6 schools which again if you're Central you schedule Northwestern, Carol City and Booker T. Washington which leads one open spot. Do you schedule OOS, in state game or cupcake game. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see why Mainland is moving up to 8A.

Coachog just explained the reasons for Mainland to go to Class 8A. He just said it mostly has to do with student enrollment. That's how their program feels, I would like them to stay to try to beat one of those Dade teams, but they are doing what is positive for them.