Transfers 2017

Zoe Boy

Not sure...I'm down in Broward and do not know what players transferred into Jones, but the article listed several schools.

No closings. The transfers were from: Phillips, Edgewater Boone, and Evans, mostly. Most of the Dp and Boone transfers may have been originally zoned for Jones and have now decided to return home based on last season. Regarding Edgewater and Evans, I can only guess that they chose to transfer due to both schools doing poorly in recent years. The Apopka/Edgewater game which used to be the game of the week in Orlando for a long time was cancelled this year. That's how bad it has gotten. 

No closings. The transfers were from: Phillips, Edgewater Boone, and Evans, mostly. Most of the Dp and Boone transfers may have been originally zoned for Jones and have now decided to return home based on last season. Regarding Edgewater and Evans, I can only guess that they chose to transfer due to both schools doing poorly in recent years. The Apopka/Edgewater game which used to be the game of the week in Orlando for a long time was cancelled this year. That's how bad it has gotten.

Gotcha. A lot can change and I know Jones has had some great teams in the past, but could 2017 Jones potentially be their strongest team ever? Or at least on paper and heading into the season?

Gotcha. A lot can change and I know Jones has had some great teams in the past, but could 2017 Jones potentially be their strongest team ever? Or at least on paper and heading into the season?

On paper, yes. To be honest, at the end of last season, I felt Jones could have gone toe to toe with, and, perhaps beaten, Dr. Phillips which got all the way to the 8a title game and came close to winning it. Cocoa had its hands full with them in the second round. And this year, with the additional transfers, and the return of an injured 4 star recruit, Jones should be better than last year. 

That said, the season is long, and they could stumble. For one thing, the coaching staff will have its hands full keeping everyone happy with their playing time. With that said, however, if they make a run, I would be happy for them. Jones is the only surviving historically black high school still open in greater Orlando (they are other majority black schools, but like Central and Norland in Miami, they started off as majority white), so there is some history attached to the program and several of the more prominent African Americans in Orlando are alumni of the school. 

I think what hurt them last year was their schedule speaking of which who Jones play this year?

They have a big out of state game against a National Power. They also have Bishop Moore in their district. BM has been no slouch the past 5 years and has the 2015 5a State Title under its belt. If you want to see their full schedule see the following link: 

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/jones-fightin-tigers-(orlando,fl)/football/schedule.htm

They have a big out of state game against a National Power. They also have Bishop Moore in their district. BM has been no slouch the past 5 years and has the 2015 5a State Title under its belt. If you want to see their full schedule see the following link: 

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/jones-fightin-tigers-(orlando,fl)/football/schedule.htm

I'd like to see how Jones does against the bigger Otown schools like Seminole and DrP.   I'd like to see Cocoa play one or two of those schools annually as well.  

I was VERY impressed with DrP last year, as they really controlled most of the game against the crazy talented Southridge.   Then you look at how they were in a dogfight with Seminole the week before, it has me wanting to see more of these big Orlando schools playing good teams from other regions like Armwood, Lakeland, Plant, other Miami squads etc.   I think they'd surprise people.  

Edit: I know DrP played Mainland which is a good start. 

I'd like to see how Jones does against the bigger Otown schools like Seminole and DrP.   I'd like to see Cocoa play one or two of those schools annually as well.  

I was VERY impressed with DrP last year, as they really controlled most of the game against the crazy talented Southridge.   Then you look at how they were in a dogfight with Seminole the week before, it has me wanting to see more of these big Orlando schools playing good teams from other regions like Armwood, Lakeland, Plant, Mainland, other Miami squads etc.   I think they'd surprise people.  

They did control most of the Southridge game. In the end, they lost on two big plays. The prior week, Seminole had them on the ropes only to see Dp. take the game into overtime and win when the Seminole kicker hit the upright. But in terms of explosiveness, late last season I would say Jones looked better to me. I saw them in their last district game of the season against a decent Lake Highland team and they literally destroyed them. Then in the second round of the playoffs, they gave eventual state champion Cocoa a big scare before losing a very competitive game. 

Jones has had great talent and a few good teams over the recent years. However, due to the close proximity of several other high schools and the fact the school had academic issues which allowed the easy transfer of its students, it had trouble with its consistency. Time will tell whether 2017 marks the end of this drought or whether it is a once in a generation year. Either way it should be interesting. In the early 2000s, a lot of Jones's better players routinely ended up at Edgewater. In more recent years, it has been other schools. 

I'd like to see how Jones does against the bigger Otown schools like Seminole and DrP. I'd like to see Cocoa play one or two of those schools annually as well.

I was VERY impressed with DrP last year, as they really controlled most of the game against the crazy talented Southridge. Then you look at how they were in a dogfight with Seminole the week before, it has me wanting to see more of these big Orlando schools playing good teams from other regions like Armwood, Lakeland, Plant, other Miami squads etc. I think they'd surprise people.

Edit: I know DrP played Mainland which is a good start.

West was set to play DP but DP didn't want to split the gate or pay for players rooms at least. I think they just didn't want to play. Hell NW having hard time finding 2 more teams to play to fill their schedule.

They did control most of the Southridge game. In the end, they lost on two big plays. The prior week, Seminole had them on the ropes only to see Dp. take the game into overtime and win when the Seminole kicker hit the upright. But in terms of explosiveness, late last season I would say Jones looked better to me. I saw them in their last district game of the season against a decent Lake Highland team and they literally destroyed them. Then in the second round of the playoffs, they gave eventual state champion Cocoa a big scare before losing a very competitive game. 

Jones has had great talent and a few good teams over the recent years. However, due to the close proximity of several other high schools and the fact the school had academic issues which allowed the easy transfer of its students, it had trouble with its consistency. Time will tell whether 2017 marks the end of this drought or whether it is a once in a generation year. Either way it should be interesting. In the early 2000s, a lot of Jones's better players routinely ended up at Edgewater. In more recent years, it has been other schools. 

Man I remember that.  Edgewater was the team to beat in Orlando back then.   They were the favorite in 6A north more often than not back then when that was the largest class.   

West was set to play DP but DP didn't want to split the gate or pay for players rooms at least. I think they just didn't want to play. Hell NW having hard time finding 2 more teams to play to fill their schedule.

There is a guy on the national site, Gardenstateballer, who started a little business involved with helping get teams decent OOS games.   Company's called Prepgridiron logistics.   Honestly he's probably already on it, but if not...send him a message.  He's been getting some good games together.    He might be able to help. 

https://prepgridironlogistics.com/

Man I remember that.  Edgewater was the team to beat in Orlando back then.   They were the favorite in 6A north more often than not back then when that was the largest class.   

Edgewater made it to the title game back to back to back 2002 to 2004 and lost each time. They almost won the first one but was burned with 45 seconds left in the game when a kid who had never caught the ball in his varsity career caught a 55 yard Hail Mary pass from the quarterback which split the corner and safety to give Norland the 19-14 lead. Norland held on to win a dramatic game. The other two were not so close as Carol City beat them 13-0 in a defensive struggle. CC had one of the best defenses in high school ball I have ever seen; and Killian beat them 28-7 in 2004.

There is a guy on the national site, Gardenstateballer, who started a little business involved with helping get teams decent OOS games.   Company's called Prepgridiron logistics.   Honestly he's probably already on it, but if not...send him a message.  He's been getting some good games together.    He might be able to help. 

https://prepgridironlogistics.com/

Thanks one of the assistant coaches just told me we full. Trying to find out full schedule right now.

Edgewater made it to the title game back to back to back 2002 to 2004 and lost each time. They almost won the first one but was burned with 45 seconds left in the game when a kid who had never caught the ball in his varsity career caught a 55 yard Hail Mary pass from the quarterback which split the corner and safety to give Norland the 19-14 lead. Norland held on to win a dramatic game. The other two were not so close as Carol City beat them 14-0 in a defensive struggle. CC had one of the best defenses in high school ball I have ever seen; and Killian beat them 28-7 in 2004.

Didn't edgewater beat St Augustine back in 2010 to win state or was it someone else?

Edgewater's last semifinal appearance was a loss to Niceville. Niceville then proceeded to lose the title game to Dwyer. That may have been in 2010 but would have been in one classification higher than St. Augustine.

My bad 😂

It was Jefferson i was thinking of not edgewater lol

Edgewater made it to the title game back to back to back 2002 to 2004 and lost each time. They almost won the first one but was burned with 45 seconds left in the game when a kid who had never caught the ball in his varsity career caught a 55 yard Hail Mary pass from the quarterback which split the corner and safety to give Norland the 19-14 lead. Norland held on to win a dramatic game. The other two were not so close as Carol City beat them 14-0 in a defensive struggle. CC had one of the best defenses in high school ball I have ever seen; and Killian beat them 28-7 in 2004.

That Carol City defense was incredible. I was a sophomore in HS at the time and we played them in the first round of the playoffs that season. We scored 7 points on them and all of their other opponents combined for 6 points the rest of the playoffs. Willie Williams, Vernon Wilder, Kenny Phillips, Ricky Jean-Francois. Amazing defense.

That Carol City defense was incredible. I was a sophomore in HS at the time and we played them in the first round of the playoffs that season. We scored 7 points on them and all of their other opponents combined for 6 points the rest of the playoffs. Willie Williams, Vernon Wilder, Kenny Phillips, Ricky Jean-Francois. Amazing defense.

That d was nasty!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IcEoPCTKPIM

Watching the video reminded me that the CC kicker also had a heck of a leg. He had 50 plus yard range and 45 yard consistent accuracy. It is a pity he did not get a big time college opportunity.

I'll take an elite D and a Kicker that kicks touchbacks over an elite offense all day!

Elite Ds and Kickers are a deadly combo.