Transfers 2017

Zoe Boy

I'm curious about something. With all of these football players transferring from one school to another, sometimes two or three times during their HS days, where does academics fit into this picture? I thought the purpose of going to high school was primarily to get an education. How can a kid get a decent education bouncing around from one school to the next just to play football? It's difficult enough acclimating yourself to the same HS for 4 years, given new students entering and others leaving every year. I fault parents who allow their son to hop from one school to another with no concrete reasoning. I can see parents having their son transfer to a private school or to a quality public school like a charter school for academic purposes. But, just to be able to play a sport is not a legitimate excuse IMHO. It also teaches the kid that if things are not to his exact liking on the football field he can just get up and leave. Not a very good  scenario for when he stops playing football and has to go out and work, which for most HS football players is right after graduation.  

I'm curious about something. With all of these football players transferring from one school to another, sometimes two or three times during their HS days, where does academics fit into this picture? I thought the purpose of going to high school was primarily to get an education. How can a kid get a decent education bouncing around from one school to the next just to play football? It's difficult enough acclimating yourself to the same HS for 4 years, given new students entering and others leaving every year. I fault parents who allow their son to hop from one school to another with no concrete reasoning. I can see parents having their son transfer to a private school or to a quality public school like a charter school for academic purposes. But, just to be able to play a sport is not a legitimate excuse IMHO. It also teaches the kid that if things are not to his exact liking on the football field he can just get up and leave. Not a very good scenario for when he stops playing football and has to go out and work, which for most HS football players is right after graduation.

What about the kids that don't play sports and still transfers to 2 or 3 schools? It happens more then you think... I understand what your saying tho but it is what it is...

What about the kids that don't play sports and still transfers to 2 or 3 schools? It happens more then you think... I understand what your saying tho but it is what it is...

I imagine it would apply to them also. However, I seriously doubt that more than a handful of non sports related students transfer very much. If the non sports related students do transfer I believe it would be for better academic possibilities such as from public school to private school and they would do that only once. When I went to high school the only time a student would transfer, from one school to another, is if your family moved from one location to another. Nobody transferred just to play sports. 

The whole s fla transfers... Ppl just get mad at STA cause it's STA...

I know lol. I just thought it was a good time to throw that out there!  On a serious note Chaminade is doing work, and Edison?  Brings me back to 2003.  :wacko:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2003-11-22/sports/0311220168_1_raiders-first-home-raiders-streak-raiders-touchdown

I imagine it would apply to them also. However, I seriously doubt that more than a handful of non sports related students transfer very much. If the non sports related students do transfer I believe it would be for better academic possibilities such as from public school to private school and they would do that only once. When I went to high school the only time a student would transfer, from one school to another, is if your family moved from one location to another. Nobody transferred just to play sports.

Well welcome to s fla where kids transfer for sports, music, buisness, and anything else you can mention.. Not only to privates now

Well welcome to s fla where kids transfer for sports, music, buisness, and anything else you can mention.. Not only to privates now

Well, since Scott introduced a bill to allow any student to transfer to any other school for any reason, starting in 2017, I guess the point is moot. Kind of makes the FHSAA rulings irrelevant also. No football team has to recruit anymore since their doors are open 24/7 to any student. 

Well, since Scott introduced a bill to allow any student to transfer to any other school for any reason, starting in 2017, I guess the point is moot. Kind of makes the FHSAA rulings irrelevant also. No football team has to recruit anymore since their doors are open 24/7 to any student.

I live in Dade and my daughter and son go to school in Broward.. Plus I've been getting phone calls by the Broward county and dade county schools for school of choice

• 2 weeks later...

Zoe what's the deal with booker T Washington. Why would this kid transfer out? To Miami senior High no less!?

http://www.scout.com/player/200872-dontae-lucas

Yea they was talking bout it at the park yesterday... don't know the fool situation with but I know cedrick Irving is the head man at the high n he got some pull too... Plus Miami high and BTW is like 10 mins apart.... But that is a weird one... Just like Keyon Pie Young was at the high and really was suppose to be at BTW...