Venice at STA- Game of the Week

181pl

Many other good ones as well, but this one is very intriguing. Venice has dominated every team it has played this year. I am interested to see how they will handle the athletic advantage posed by a team of all star recruits.

This will be the Raiders toughest test in the playoffs in a while. I think Venice will give them a solid game.

I think Venice has a team that can defeat STA but certain things are going to have to happen. Venice will have create turnovers, and get pressure on the Qb. If not, STA WRs will give Venice CBs a hard time. If STA and Venice both play their best game, STA will win by 14 points minimum. Hopefully, Venice can pull off an upset. I've always been against teams like STA that recruit players statewide to play HS football. They are too similar to IMG and I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs or they need to have a separate playoffs for private schools that recruit.

I think Venice has a team that can defeat STA but certain things are going to have to happen. Venice will have create turnovers, and get pressure on the Qb. If not, STA WRs will give Venice CBs a hard time. If STA and Venice both play their best game, STA will win by 14 points minimum. Hopefully, Venice can pull off an upset. I've always been against teams like STA that recruit players statewide to play HS football. They are too similar to IMG and I feel that they shouldn't be allowed to participate in the playoffs or they need to have a separate playoffs for private schools that recruit.

STA recruites state wide?

Private schools have open doors and it is full compliance with the FHSAA - it has been like that for years  Winners are generally going attract top talent - nationwide.  Every year there are public schools in SFL that can play with and sometimes defeat STA- all of them are okay with STA being private and actually look forward to playing them.  Since you have always been against schools that "recruit statewide" - what are some other schools that you believe "recruit"?  Recruiting is not allowed and schools have been busted- ( Check with the FHSAA historically).  97% of STA's players were raised and reside within 10 miles of the school, the same cannot be said for IMG.  If Venice was playing a public school from SFL with a loaded roster do you feel they are automatically recruiting and should have a separate playoffs as well?

Have some confidence in you team, let the game be played first.  STA can be beat and are beat by public schools - FACT.  It happens locally to them probably more often than not - annually.  STA fell to a third round 4A team this year.

Do you think last year 5A Hallandale was whining and pointing fingers about national power AHP recruiting before they knocked them out of the playoffs?   

Believe in your team! If Venice is as advertised they should have a legit shot to hang around in this game and with a few turnovers could pull the upset.

Private schools have open doors and it is full compliance with the FHSAA - it has been like that for years Winners are generally going attract top talent - nationwide. Every year there are public schools in SFL that can play with and sometimes defeat STA- all of them are okay with STA being private and actually look forward to playing them. Since you have always been against schools that "recruit statewide" - what are some other schools that you believe "recruit"? Recruiting is not allowed and schools have been busted- ( Check with the FHSAA historically). 97% of STA's players were raised and reside within 10 miles of the school, the same cannot be said for IMG. If Venice was playing a public school from SFL with a loaded roster do you feel they are automatically recruiting and should have a separate playoffs as well?

Have some confidence in you team, let the game be played first. STA can be beat and are beat by public schools - FACT. It happens locally to them probably more often than not - annually. STA fell to a third round 4A team this year.

Do you think last year 5A Hallandale was whining and pointing fingers about national power AHP recruiting before they knocked them out of the playoffs?

Believe in your team! If Venice is as advertised they should have a legit shot to hang around in this game and with a few turnovers could pull the upset.

1000%!!!!!

I don't get it... Mostly ppl that I talk with down here love to play against STA with all their so call all stars... They look forward to it and won't back down and will go in to that game thinking they can beat them...

STA and Hallandale are nowhere near the same boat so I wouldn't dare use them as a comparison. Many teams recruit, even though it is illegal, don't be naive sir. Private schools have the ability to "openly" recruit due to them being a private school which gives them an unfair advantage in my opinion. Any team can lose if turnovers is involved but STA is like playing an IMG type of team. Venice is as good as advertised, and for the record, they are not my team. Being good as advertised, doesn't mean they have the athletes to compete with a stacked team. The point is that private schools have an unfair advantage being that they can openly recruit.

STA and Hallandale are nowhere near the same boat so I wouldn't dare use them as a comparison. Many teams recruit, even though it is illegal, don't be naive sir. Private schools have the ability to "openly" recruit due to them being a private school which gives them an unfair advantage in my opinion. Any team can lose if turnovers is involved but STA is like playing an IMG type of team. Venice is as good as advertised, and for the record, they are not my team. Being good as advertised, doesn't mean they have the athletes to compete with a stacked team. The point is that private schools have an unfair advantage being that they can openly recruit.

You obviously are not aware of the talent on some of the Broward and Dade PUBLIC SCHOOL rosters.

Then how does a public school beat STA in SFL almost every year?   What Venice is doing to teams severely eclipses what Broward and Dade power public schools have done during the course of their season. Some have gone toe to toe ( INCLUDING HALLANDALE)  and sometimes beat STA - why can't Venice?

Is it STA's fault that Venice is a final 4 7A team but they don't don't have the athletes of say a 4A third round public school team like BTW?  BTW beat STA, why can't a undefeated 7A Venice that has been thrashing everything in their path?

STA does not have to recruit....

You obviously are not aware of the talent on some of the Broward and Dade PUBLIC SCHOOL rosters.

Then how does a public school beat STA in SFL almost every year? What Venice is doing to teams severely eclipses what Broward and Dade power public schools have done during the course of their season. Some have gone toe to toe ( INCLUDING HALLANDALE) and sometimes beat STA - why can't Venice?

Is it STA's fault that Venice is a final 4 7A team but they don't don't have the athletes of say a 4A third round public school team like BTW? BTW beat STA, why can't a undefeated 7A Venice that has been thrashing everything in their path?

Hallandale had a pretty decent team this year, i think they will have a winning season again next year because they will be returning most of their players

Venice will not beat STA.  They don't have the talent, resources and they don't have the coaching.  The teams Venice played this year were not very good.  Despite what everyone thinks Manatee and Braden River were down.  STA has been in the battle with great teams and are battle tested.  Venice has not.  STA will roll them.

Last year I felt like Braden River was ever bit the equal to STA as far as the starters went, but going down the depth chart, STA clearly had the advantage.  Also, in big games like this, STA has a clear advantage because they have been in big game situations before.  I expect a similar outcome as last year's game with Braden River,  an overall close game but STA should be expected to win.  

Here is my 2 cents. After watching film on STA and with my son playing for Venice there are some areas in which Venice will be at a disadvantage. Venice needs to play perfect and have STA make some mistakes. It has been known to happen. STA has great players which no on can deny. But if there is no way to win the game why make the trip down and go ahead and put their name on the State Title.  

Yes Camden County and Manatee didnt pan out to be the test we thought of. Braden River is still a pretty good team and Im sure most would not want to play them much less twice.

Our players are excited win or lose to play. Doesnt matter if they have the best players around, thats why you play the game. If STA wins or even rolls them up so what. It is what it is.

Now if Venice wins then what ? STA had a bad day? Sure Venice doesnt make it to the final 4 every year and our players are not 5 star Rival prep stars. But in the end both teams have to play the game.

Venice does do some things well that should be different than what STA has seen. Is it enough to win ? We will see at 7:30 pm on Friday night. Our community is behind them win or lose.

Here is my 2 cents. After watching film on STA and with my son playing for Venice there are some areas in which Venice will be at a disadvantage. Venice needs to play perfect and have STA make some mistakes. It has been known to happen. STA has great players which no on can deny. But if there is no way to win the game why make the trip down and go ahead and put their name on the State Title.  

Yes Camden County and Manatee didnt pan out to be the test we thought of. Braden River is still a pretty good team and Im sure most would not want to play them much less twice.

Our players are excited win or lose to play. Doesnt matter if they have the best players around, thats why you play the game. If STA wins or even rolls them up so what. It is what it is.

Now if Venice wins then what ? STA had a bad day? Sure Venice doesnt make it to the final 4 every year and our players are not 5 star Rival prep stars. But in the end both teams have to play the game.

Venice does do some things well that should be different than what STA has seen. Is it enough to win ? We will see at 7:30 pm on Friday night. Our community is behind them win or lose.

The first step is the players believing they can win.  The coaches and players all know that we are just a bunch of dads, HS football junkies and geeks.  If they read the stuff we write on here, they take it with a grain of salt.  I can guarantee you that all of the teams that have defeated or were within 14 pts of STA the last few years believed in themselves and knew they were going to defeat STA 100%.  It did not matter what the media or the forums said, they were out to take down STA just like any other team.  

Venice does not have to be the better team.  They have to be the better team for 2 hours. Just remember that public schools can and do compete with STA.  Perhaps some of them not even quite on the level of what this 2016 Venice team may be.  I have heard some very positive things about Venice from some great HS football minds and they have told me this 2016 Venice team is special.  Regardless of the outcome, I look forward to seeing 2016 Venice in person.

We are all looking forward to seeing a quality  game.

On a side note its always nice to play at nice facilites. From the film it looks as if the field is very nice. Another plus for getting to play in Dec against one of the best teams in the country.

Brian Piccolo Stadium seats about 4,500 and I believe a brand new high quality turf was just installed within the last year or two as well.  STA usually has pretty good game programs for the bigger games.  They are reasonably priced and great to look back on down the road...probably good to pick up a couple.  One to browse through and one for safe-keeping and memories.

First of all, I want to apologize to you for my statement on the Venice STA game.  I am a little rough around the edges and I love the fact your son plays for Venice and you are passionate about everything Venice as you should be.  If my son went there, I would say the exact same thing.  However, I have seen a lot of football over the years and I am a huge Manatee fan.  With that being said STA is a different animal, especially down there.  It is more hostile than you can imagine.  Their fans and their players for the most part have absolutely no class.  BE PREPARED FOR THAT.  Second, they are very well coached in all phases of the game and I mean ALL.  They will have tremendous talent.  With that being said, I hope you guys kick the shit out of them.  Good Luck!

Good stuff here.  Say what ya want but I believe Venice has been tested in deep waters,  unlike Dwyer.   I liked  "The first step is the players believing they can win ....They have to be the better team for 2 hours" ... and  "Our players are excited win or lose to play."

Sounds like the Indians have the right mindset.   Belief in themselves as a team,  as a collective force,  as one.   STA may have more individual player capabilities,  but at this point I don't see a whole lot of daylight between both as respective teams in that capability category.   So intangibles like collective fortitude and guts will have a say.  Who's hungrier?

Somebody far more knowledgeable about what young men can achieve as a unit said it far better than me ... “The moral is to the physical as three to one† – Napoleon Bonaparte

That holds to the playing field as it does on the battlefield.

If Venice really wants it,  I believe they're a team capable enough to just TAKE IT from them,  as long as coaching and play-calling mistakes don't get in the way.

First of all, I want to apologize to you for my statement on the Venice STA game.  I am a little rough around the edges and I love the fact your son plays for Venice and you are passionate about everything Venice as you should be.  If my son went there, I would say the exact same thing.  However, I have seen a lot of football over the years and I am a huge Manatee fan.  With that being said STA is a different animal, especially down there.  It is more hostile than you can imagine.  Their fans and their players for the most part have absolutely no class.  BE PREPARED FOR THAT.  Second, they are very well coached in all phases of the game and I mean ALL.  They will have tremendous talent.  With that being said, I hope you guys kick the shit out of them.  Good Luck!

No need to apologize. Some of these kids have been playing together since they were 5, We have seen at a young age some dirty and hostile teams. I'm not sure if they are ready for that at the moment but they should be able to adapt quickly. I am  very happy to say their strength and condition coach is an ex army ranger and throughout the summer put them through things to get ready for a game like this. Hopefully the prep work will pay off.

My guess about the fans are similar to the Tampa Jesuit baseball team and their fans. When Venice plays them some really crazy and disgusting things have been done.  

No need to apologize. Some of these kids have been playing together since they were 5, We have seen at a young age some dirty and hostile teams. I'm not sure if they are ready for that at the moment but they should be able to adapt quickly. I am  very happy to say their strength and condition coach is an ex army ranger and throughout the summer put them through things to get ready for a game like this. Hopefully the prep work will pay off.

My guess about the fans are similar to the Tampa Jesuit baseball team and their fans. When Venice plays them some really crazy and disgusting things have been done.  

941, Venice is a very good high school football team, period. Can you beat St. Thomas? Yes. Will it be easy? No. The kids and staff just need to focus on what they see on film and how best they can mitigate what St. Thomas brings to the table on the field. If they do this, they will have the best chance to accomplish their goal. If they come up short, they can take pride in the fact that this was certainly the best Venice team since 2000 and, perhaps, the best of all.

1000%!!!!!

I don't get it... Mostly ppl that I talk with down here love to play against STA with all their so call all stars... They look forward to it and won't back down and will go in to that game thinking they can beat them...

"

So called stars,,,, don't make comments that show your ignorance.

No need to apologize. Some of these kids have been playing together since they were 5, We have seen at a young age some dirty and hostile teams. I'm not sure if they are ready for that at the moment but they should be able to adapt quickly. I am very happy to say their strength and condition coach is an ex army ranger and throughout the summer put them through things to get ready for a game like this. Hopefully the prep work will pay off.

My guess about the fans are similar to the Tampa Jesuit baseball team and their fans. When Venice plays them some really crazy and disgusting things have been done.

STA fans are true fans and are a class act. The word is that Venice is too. Be more concerned with the competition because it is daunting.