Pahokee?

954gator

Actually, I believe Florida looks quite good in doing this ...  honoring the rules instead of a wink and a nod.  Why have rules if skirting "just one" is OK?   It's not the sole responsibility of FHSAA to ensure each player's eligibility,  to collect all final rosters, check and investigate them for total accuracy with the team or school district that submitted them,  and finish all that by game time.   Final roster submissions ain't a game of "stump the chump",  and professional educators, administrators, and coaches are expected to demonstrate integrity and honesty. 

Submitting them is the responsibility of the HC, AD, and perhaps the Principal,  and they must do so with the same attention to detail that they exhibit when preparing their teams and game plan.  Quality coaches know every single game and field rule inside and out,  just like they know the eligibility rules and all other rules.   This is an early chance in life for the young men to learn there's consequences for not playing by the rules.

I was pullin for the blue devils all year, and feel bad for the other Pahokee players, but that's just how real life works.   Whether this case is intentional or unintentional, well I don't know and that's for fhsaa to deal with. 

Am I understanding this correctly? If kid plays varsity in the 8th grade he can not play his senior season? 

I don't think 8th grade counts toward "high school years".  I believe they only count the years that a student earns credits for graduation.  The idea being that if a student cannot earn his credits within 4 years he is not eligible to continue in athletics after the 4th year.

I don't think 8th grade counts toward "high school years".  I believe they only count the years that a student earns credits for graduation.  The idea being that if a student cannot earn his credits within 4 years he is not eligible to continue in athletics after the 4th year.

Ok Thanks for the clarification. 

I don't think 8th grade counts toward "high school years". I believe they only count the years that a student earns credits for graduation. The idea being that if a student cannot earn his credits within 4 years he is not eligible to continue in athletics after the 4th year.

So if someone takes a high school credit class early they start eligibility early?

I do not know all the details and hate to speculate, but there is no question that if Pahokee played an ineligible player that title should be vacated. There are rules in place, and ALL programs have to follow them. If it was a mistake, that is unfortunate, but if that mistake gave them an advantage over everyone else the title must be vacated. When something like this happens it comes down to the fact that you can't justify any one team as better than the other because there is no telling what the outcome would of been if the situation was different.  

And for anyone who says that 1 player doesn't have an impact on a playoff run, they are wrong. Hypothetically saying, if Pahokee played an ineligible player against Newberry in the first round who they beat by 1pt in OT, that player could of impacted the outcome of the game. Maybe if that player doesn't play Newberry pulls off the close win and they make the deep playoff run, or maybe Trenton does, or Madison, or Baker beats one of those teams in Championship instead. The fact is, we don't know what would of happened if the situation was different so therefore we don't know who the true champion is! That's why if it is found that they played an ineligible player they must vacate the title.

Again, I hate to speculate when I don't know the whole story, and I would like to think that Pahokee won the title out right and no foul play was involved. And if there was an ineligible player on the team, I hope it was an honest mistake and not a program looking for an unfair advantage. Either way, mistake or not, if a rule was broken that gave them an upper hand the state championship must be vacated.

That's speculation. We can't award things on speculation. As the above poster said rules are in place for reasons and there are consequences for breaking them, intentionally or not.

Ik that there are consequences

I was responding to the idea people saying newberry, Trenton, Madison or baker would have beaten them just bc game was close and you take away the ineligible player don't mean they lose those games

It was only 1 player, that transferred in from another(in-county) school. The error occurred because the district adopted a new student tracking system that didn't catch the error. Because if the kid graduated, then he shouldn't have been able to enroll in any high schools in the county.

Everything that came to Pahokee was a go. The coaches submitted the rosters before the season, playoffs, and before every playoff game. Pahokee followed protocol, its just the ball was dropped before it got to them.

It sucks for the kid in question, and the entire team, because I don't think this was something intentional. The kid just turned 19 and either way it goes, its a tough situation

How are kids who attend the alternative school able to play football. Wouldn't they be ineligible for having to attend the alternative school?

Bc if the alternative school Does not provide the sport they want to play they are allowed to play for any school within their county zone if i remember the rule correctly