Pahokee?

954gator

That's what I thought Shark bait. If there wasn't something wrong why wouldn't he just attend the school? Alternative school means you are a problem and do not play sports around where I'm from.

In larger counties this is not always the case. In Osceola County, there is an alternate school dedicated to the arts. Kids that go there don't have the benefit of a football program. So they would be allowed to play for a high school in the County that has one. Likewise, Hungerford in Orange County, before it closed, did not have a football program either. Two brothers that attended that school played for Cypress Creek in the early 2000s and took that school to the only playoff appearance in the past 18 seasons. Or, in Seminole County kids that attend Crooms Academy, which also does not offer football, would be allowed to play for their zoned school. In Dade County, Tommy Streeter attended Turner Health Care Academy which did not have a football program. He suited up for the 2006/2007 Miami Northwestern team and ultimately ended up in the NFL. 

But I see your point, there are other Public Alternate high schools in Orange County where the kids would not be allowed to play football. So, I guess it comes down to: what kind of alternate school this kid attended. 

Its not an alternative school for behavioral kids, but for kids that fall behind academically and they still want to graduate on time. Kids from Belle Glade, Pahokee, Wellington, and Royal Palm have attended the school.

They offer classes over the summer for the kids that want to enroll in college early

This was the kids first year at Pahokee (Non-traditional student), but he grew up in Pahokee before his family moved to West Palm Beach before starting high school. He was attending a traditional high school in West Palm Beach, but didn't play football. He transferred and enrolled in the alternative school over the summer, and was allowed to play for Pahokee this season....

Clerical error?

How many and what years did the student participate at Pahokee as a non-traditional student?

This was a district error, not a school error. Pahokee submitted all documentation they had, sent the official roster to the FHSAA at the beginning of the season, prior to the playoffs, and before every playoff game. The district should've flagged this before this school year began...I thought we were still under the 19/9 rule myself.

This was the kids first year at Pahokee (Non-traditional student), but he grew up in Pahokee before his family moved to West Palm Beach before starting high school. He was attending a traditional high school in West Palm Beach, but didn't play football. He transferred and enrolled in the alternative school over the summer, and was allowed to play for Pahokee this season....

This was a district error, not a school error. Pahokee submitted all documentation they had, sent the official roster to the FHSAA at the beginning of the season, prior to the playoffs, and before every playoff game. The district should've flagged this before this school year began...I thought we were still under the 19/9 rule myself.

The school/county couldnt subtract 2012 from 2017 to figure out this was his 5th year? Maybe a "clerical error" is the least of both the school and the county's problems.

Before students are issued any sports equipment on day 1, or permitted to tryout or practice, the student and parents (or legal guardians) must fill out PB School District Form 1588HS – (Certifying athletic eligibility - eligible for no more than four (4) consecutive academic years from the date he/she first enrolls in the ninth (9th) grade).  That form also includes parental/guardian consent to freely disclose scholastic attendance records,   The student and parents/guardians must then produce ID and sign it before a Notary who stamps/signs/dates it.  Finally, the student hands the form to the school AD who certifies it as official by signing/dating it.  I note that the AD is probably just trusting that the student and parents/guardians were accurate on the form.  That original signed paper form is kept on file for future reference if necessary.

A – Four years is the simple rule, equal for all students.  B - Four years in high school is 4 years – not 5,  best checked for accuracy with that little pinkie finger if ya count 1-2-3-4 on your hand before signing off.   It’s not rocket science nor calculus, not really that hard to figure out.

Why would the school or district make a “data entry or clerical error†to fhsaa if the signed form accurately showed he was in ineligible from the gitgo?   Better yet, why hand in the form at all if the student and parents/guardians knew he was in year 5?   The news and the schools aren’t telling the whole story.  That signed paper form should be the smoking gun.  A blank form sample can be found online by googling it.

I feel bad for the other players but the rules are the same rules for all players, all schools.

I honestly got to agree

I doubt Pahokee did this intentionally

Shame that the entire 1a reputation is damaged because of a slight mistake

How is the entire 1A damaged?

The situation was relative to 1 team.

Would you be calling this a "slight" mistake if the same scenario happened to Viera, STA, Plant or Lakeland?

Your funny Columbia...

How is the entire 1A damaged?

The situation was relative to 1 team.

Would you be calling this a "slight" mistake if the same scenario happened to Viera, STA, Plant or Lakeland?

Your funny Columbia...

If you read the bloody write-up you would know from reading it That it was a slight error and if it was Any team in same spot i would say same thing

I am sure the appeal will be turned down. As far as this being a black eye on all of 1A i disagree although i do think the FHSAA should do a better job of getting on top of something like this before it affects everyone in the classification. Mistakes happen but it would be nice to see this kind of mistake corrected early in the season so everyone has a chance to recover. Had Pahokee detected this earlier in the year all of this could have been avoided.

The only thing to do now is stand up like man and say we made a mistake, accept responsibility and say it wont happen again. There will be a lot more respect for the coaching staff and the AD if this happens, not to mention it will show your kids that real men accept the punishment for there mistakes and learn from it to do better in the future. 

What if Viera made this mistake in 2015? Would it just be no big deal even though they knocked Columbia out of a chance at their 1st state title in 40+ years?

Accually funny you bring viera up considering their top player "slipped" and said he was recruited to come there after the lakeland game

Yet nothing was done after that so they could very well have had a player there through illegal methods but honestly idc

We had a responsibility to beat them and we didn't, and from how bad we played in offensive line and special teams we likely lose even if their top receiver was playing or not

We lost because our protection picked the worse game to basically implode