Pahokee?

954gator

I am sure the appeal will be turned down. As far as this being a black eye on all of 1A i disagree although i do think the FHSAA should do a better job of getting on top of something like this before it affects everyone in the classification. Mistakes happen but it would be nice to see this kind of mistake corrected early in the season so everyone has a chance to recover. Had Pahokee detected this earlier in the year all of this could have been avoided.

The only thing to do now is stand up like man and say we made a mistake, accept responsibility and say it wont happen again. There will be a lot more respect for the coaching staff and the AD if this happens, not to mention it will show your kids that real men accept the punishment for there mistakes and learn from it to do better in the future. 

The Palm Beach County School district plans to file the appeal, because the error was on their behalf. The coaches, that I have spoken to have accepted the ruling, but are upset that everything will be taken away from the kids over this error. It wasn't anything intentional on the school/coaches behalf. They didn't go out an recruit this kid, because he didn't play football at the previous school. This incident doesn't affect the 1A classification, and nor does it paint a picture on Pahokee HIgh. They are not repeat offenders or always under the microscope of the FHSAA. This incident will create a better checks and balance system within the school regarding the athletic department.

The Palm Beach County School district plans to file the appeal, because the error was on their behalf. The coaches, that I have spoken to have accepted the ruling, but are upset that everything will be taken away from the kids over this error. It wasn't anything intentional on the school/coaches behalf. They didn't go out an recruit this kid, because he didn't play football at the previous school. This incident doesn't affect the 1A classification, and nor does it paint a picture on Pahokee HIgh. They are not repeat offenders or always under the microscope of the FHSAA. This incident will create a better checks and balance system within the school regarding the athletic department.

It's still mess up for them boys... I mean I won't crucify them cause it looks like a simple mishap.... But theirs folks out there gonna be like they won cause y'all cheated but we all watch the games...

I'm just havin a hard time figuring out how the player's information made it to the PB School District in the first place,  if the player and parents/guardians knew he was in 5th year when they filled out and signed his eligibility information form.

I'm just havin a hard time figuring out how the player's information made it to the PB School District in the first place, if the player and parents/guardians knew he was in 5th year when they filled out and signed his eligibility information form.

Don't know. But once it made it to the district office. It should've been flagged and the school/kid notified that he does not have any eligibility left. The transcripts from the previous school should've indicated this also...Maybe the kid thought, since he didn't play football at his previous school, that he has some athletic eligibility... JUST SPECULATING, I DON'T KNOW

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any talk from FHSAA about changing Pahokee's classification or is that just speculation based on what was done to Trenton?   If this is the precedent FHSAA is setting then what will be done to punish larger schools, some schools would benefit from moving up.  It would seem that an organization like FHSAA would have not only rules but the punishment for breaking such rules already in place,  I have seen teams forced to forfeit games and titles but never required to move up to a higher classification. 

Considering the massive amount of  "recruiting" that is going on all over Florida, should Pahokee be admonished for such a minor infraction? It's not like very many prospects are beating down Pahokee's doors to play for the team. As far as I know Pahokee has always utilized it's home grown players and developed them unlike many other so-called powerhouses. Yes, powerhouses that were developed from how many D-1 recruits they can amass. If Pahokee was recruiting they would not have had so many down years that they had after the years they spent at the top. Just grinds me that the usual suspects get away with padding their teams with star power from all over the planet and nothing is done about it. :rolleyes:   

Considering the massive amount of "recruiting" that is going on all over Florida, should Pahokee be admonished for such a minor infraction? It's not like very many prospects are beating down Pahokee's doors to play for the team. As far as I know Pahokee has always utilized it's home grown players and developed them unlike many other so-called powerhouses. Yes, powerhouses that were developed from how many D-1 recruits they can amass. If Pahokee was recruiting they would not have had so many down years that they had after the years they spent at the top. Just grinds me that the usual suspects get away with padding their teams with star power from all over the planet and nothing is done about it. :rolleyes:

Private schools get away with more

The difference being that Private Schools are businesses that have to make a profit to keep their doors open. Just like any business, they have to advertise and actively recruit students. As long as they don't recruit specifically for sports teams only, they are good to go and are breaking no rules. Private schools normally have only a few openings for new students that transfer from other schools considering that they have a full compliment of incoming Freshman students to replace the outgoing Seniors. There is also the matter of tuition. Many families don't have the $12 to $15 thousand per year. Also, many potential students are not able to qualify due to their background and/or aptitude. That leaves a huge amount of potential students who cannot get into private schools. Yes, there are government tuition assistance programs for those that are not able to pay. However, that assistance covers only a part of the tuition and there are very few of these issued by the government. 

So, there just doesn't seem to be a plethora of football players out there that are climbing the fences to get onto private school fields. Case in point is that my team, Trinity Catholic, had one D-1 player this past season, while North Marion, a public school, had somewhere around 6. With the governor allowing any student to transfer to whatever school they want for any reason, the public schools are now able to build powerhouse teams, where the private schools are still limited to the same factors that governed them before. I'll bet that you cannot name more than 6 or 7 private schools that are consistent winners out of hundreds of private schools in the state. If they actively recruited don't you think that many more private schools would be running away with championships?

The difference being that Private Schools are businesses that have to make a profit to keep their doors open. Just like any business, they have to advertise and actively recruit students. As long as they don't recruit specifically for sports teams only, they are good to go and are breaking no rules. Private schools normally have only a few openings for new students that transfer from other schools considering that they have a full compliment of incoming Freshman students to replace the outgoing Seniors. There is also the matter of tuition. Many families don't have the $12 to $15 thousand per year. Also, many potential students are not able to qualify due to their background and/or aptitude. That leaves a huge amount of potential students who cannot get into private schools. Yes, there are government tuition assistance programs for those that are not able to pay. However, that assistance covers only a part of the tuition and there are very few of these issued by the government.

So, there just doesn't seem to be a plethora of football players out there that are climbing the fences to get onto private school fields. Case in point is that my team, Trinity Catholic, had one D-1 player this past season, while North Marion, a public school, had somewhere around 6. With the governor allowing any student to transfer to whatever school they want for any reason, the public schools are now able to build powerhouse teams, where the private schools are still limited to the same factors that governed them before. I'll bet that you cannot name more than 6 or 7 private schools that are consistent winners out of hundreds of private schools in the state. If they actively recruited don't you think that many more private schools would be running away with championships?

I hope these rules will help Columbia catch up to these powerhouses and win back a championship but most who could transfer here now could before and we only get like maybe 3 or 4 a year

Let me get this straight, a few down years for the Celtics and all of a sudden the private schools are the ones at a disadvantage? The big bad publics are taking all of the great athletes away from their "zoned" private schools. The former staff at North Marion from the days when the Celtics were killing it must have spit out whatever they were drinking when they read your post. You guys were consistent winners at one time and were darn good, but dont blame your downfall on the public schools. I do believe you guys had a coaching change and then a sudden exodus by the players a few years back. 

Let me get this straight, a few down years for the Celtics and all of a sudden the private schools are the ones at a disadvantage? The big bad publics are taking all of the great athletes away from their "zoned" private schools. The former staff at North Marion from the days when the Celtics were killing it must have spit out whatever they were drinking when they read your post. You guys were consistent winners at one time and were darn good, but dont blame your downfall on the public schools. I do believe you guys had a coaching change and then a sudden exodus by the players a few years back. 

Well, my friend, there is nothing in what I have said that is not truthful. A couple of public schools in Marion County may have thought that Trinity was taking their players. But, in reality, Trinity was losing as many players to the publics as they were gaining. However, nobody ever talks about that fact. In 2015 the Celtics lost 3 players to North Marion before the start of the season. Two of them were D-1 players. We often lose players whose families can no longer afford the tuition. If you are a coach you should know that taking over the reins of a new team is difficult at best. Trinity not only had a complete staffing change they had a complete philosophy change. HC Sturdivant brought in completely different formations and plays. His philosophy is that there are no super stars only players. The players who didn't want to buy into this and support a team effort were free to leave. He's into a rebuilding mode. In 2015 they did not do well at all. In 2016 they did much better. I expect that this season they will do even better yet and may surprise a whole lot of naysayers. It may surprise you to know that I have always been against recruiting for sports purposes only. I'm an academic guy. Academics first and then other activities if you can handle them.