Came across this while bored at work...1990 Suwannee.

954gator

An old 1990 Suwannee Program guide.   Thought it was a cool piece of history.   Most stuff from back then seemed to never make it on the web.   Pretty impressive random 4peat of state titles, and the only they've ever won.   How good were they?  Did they beat strong bigger class teams or were they just dominant in their class?

http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/90_summer_suwanneehighschool.pdf

I was in 9th grade in 1988 when we played them in the state title game.  Matt Fryer was on that team and had set a state record for most yards receiving.  The game was close for a half.  I remember that before the game hearing rumors about stuff that Live Oak was doing and getting away with.  It believe it was 1990, after their 4th championship that the school had to forfeit 4 games and coach Pittman resigned in disgrace, although they were allowed to keep their state title. I know they use to play Lakeland back then too.   

I was in 9th grade in 1988 when we played them in the state title game.  Matt Fryer was on that team and had set a state record for most yards receiving.  The game was close for a half.  I remember that before the game hearing rumors about stuff that Live Oak was doing and getting away with.  It believe it was 1990, after their 4th championship that the school had to forfeit 4 games and coach Pittman resigned in disgrace, although they were allowed to keep their state title. I know they use to play Lakeland back then too.   

You went to Hardee right?   

An old 1990 Suwannee Program guide. Thought it was a cool piece of history. Most stuff from back then seemed to never make it on the web. Pretty impressive random 4peat of state titles, and the only they've ever won. How good were they? Did they beat strong bigger class teams or were they just dominant in their class?

We played them all 4 years and went 3-1 in those years so a lot had to do with playing smaller teams

Don't remember what year it was in the championship streak, but Matt Fryer was one hell of a receiver and made a few acrobatic catches to lead them to victory in Daytona. Live Oak brought a large crowd for that afternoon game. 

Don't remember what year it was in the championship streak, but Matt Fryer was one hell of a receiver and made a few acrobatic catches to lead them to victory in Daytona. Live Oak brought a large crowd for that afternoon game.

Not a lot to do in live oak so they follow their team, you see that a lot with small school teams in rural areas

Here is their schedule from 1990 7-6 (10-3)

Lincoln 19-17 win *

Shanks 39-13 win*

Hamilton 56-14 win*

Madison 21-7 win

Rickards 10-6 win

Leon 17-14 loss

Wakulla 20-3 win

Lakeland 28-17 loss

Taylor County 27-14 win

Columbia 13-7 loss

Crestview 26-18 win Playoffs

Bradford 38-0 win Playoffs

Card.Gibbons 44-14 win Championship

* forfeited the first 3 games due to an ineligible player (over age)

the 1989 regular season schedule was the same with the only losses being to Lincoln and Columbia

Here is their schedule from 1990 7-6 (10-3)

Lincoln 19-17 win *

Shanks 39-13 win*

Hamilton 56-14 win*

Madison 21-7 win

Rickards 10-6 win

Leon 17-14 loss

Wakulla 20-3 win

Lakeland 28-17 loss

Taylor County 27-14 win

Columbia 13-7 loss

Crestview 26-18 win Playoffs

Bradford 38-0 win Playoffs

Card.Gibbons 44-14 win Championship

* forfeited the first 3 games due to an ineligible player (over age)

the 1989 regular season schedule was the same with the only losses being to Lincoln and Columbia

Good stuff thanks!  

An old 1990 Suwannee Program guide.   Thought it was a cool piece of history.   Most stuff from back then seemed to never make it on the web.   Pretty impressive random 4peat of state titles, and the only they've ever won.   How good were they?  Did they beat strong bigger class teams or were they just dominant in their class?

Where do you work at?  Where did you find it?

Where do you work at?  Where did you find it?

Lol I'm a dentist.  Had a bunch of down time in between patients plus a cancelation haha.    Was actually looking for the players on the old Pine Forrest teams of 1988/89 as there was an argument on another forum about how good Panhandle football is.   Was a completely random find.  

Lol I'm a dentist. Had a bunch of down time in between patients plus a cancelation haha. Was actually looking for the players on the old Pine Forrest teams of 1988/89 as there was an argument on another forum about how good Panhandle football is. Was a completely random find.

Team in 88 i think played Columbia and we played close for half then they ran away in second half then went on to win state and National title so i was told

Lol I'm a dentist.  Had a bunch of down time in between patients plus a cancelation haha.    Was actually looking for the players on the old Pine Forrest teams of 1988/89 as there was an argument on another forum about how good Panhandle football is.   Was a completely random find.  

I see.  I thought you might work for a media outlet or something.  I started a project a few years back to document Hardee's records all the way back to 1909. Never finished as it became next to impossible to find records pre-1930.  I looked at microfilm rolls, yearbooks, etc.  I got our win-loss record for each year back to 1929 but can't document every game.  Learned some interesting things though.  

Team in 88 i think played Columbia and we played close for half then they ran away in second half then went on to win state and National title so i was told

I don't believe the 1988 Suwannee team won a national title.  If memory serves me correct they were 12-1 with a lost to a GA team, Valdosta or Lowndes maybe?  

Haha nice!   I really wish more teams would put some of their old film/footage on the web for people to see.    A while back I was looking for highlights of 2004/2005 Lakeland and there was nothing except individual stuff.  

It's too bad alot of the early stuff (80's, 90's) got lost during cable company mergers, or is sitting on a shelf somewhere. I have about 60 games on my media server from '84 - '16, The early stuff is just really hard to find. I've thought about trying to see if I can digitize what the school still has. I know they threw out a bunch of old film a few years ago that had gone bad, i believe.

I have the team highlight videos from 86-96-99-04-05-06-12-14-15. Let me know if you're looking for anything specific.

what i dont understand is we beat them 3 out of 4 years they won state but i think we had only 1 playoff win in those 4 years, i wonder if suwannee even gets past round 2 of playoffs if they played in the same class we did

Very hard to say,  that was a totally different era than now and many programs got left out of the playoffs back.  Only district champs made the playoffs and many smaller schools would opt to play independent.  Playoffs were only 3 rounds back then and the championship games were played at one of the two schools.  Districts were also much larger then as well.  Not saying Live Oak wasn't good back then, but some really good teams never got a shot.