Came across this while bored at work...1990 Suwannee.

954gator

Well I believe Columbia is close to twice the size of Suwanee for one. Also I believe theyes played at the end of the year,last game. Suwannee was getting ready to win playoff games while Columbia was playing their super bowl. They very easily could have held kids out while getting ready for the playoffs.

Doubt Suwannee wins state in our class back then and if that so what Suwannee's excuse lately when both teams been heading to playoffs?

I didn't say they would have won state in a larger class. My guess would be that you guys are better than they are now. I'm quite sure those kids on those 87-90 teams won't trade their state rings for some meaningless win over Columbia.

They got 4 years in a small class and have not returned to The level Since

Its a rivalry (or used to be anyway) not sure bout now, mainly since we have been ready and they seem defeated before the game even starts, these last few years haven't been close, so they getting pumbled in rivalry week and have yet to return to championship form yet, it a shame, i wish i could see this rivalry the way it used to be, i heard stories of near brawls the day before game, now it basically nothing more then a exhibition

what i dont understand is we beat them 3 out of 4 years they won state but i think we had only 1 playoff win in those 4 years, i wonder if suwannee even gets past round 2 of playoffs if they played in the same class we did

Don't underestimate your CHS Tigers. They were a very strong 5A team those years. Suwannee was a very strong 3A team. Remember 5A was the largest class in the state until they added 6A in 1995.

Columbia

1987 10-1 Bowl win v Tampa Gaither  Their only loss was to District foe Sandalwood.  CHS 31-23 over SHS

1988 9-3 District Champions Lost to Raines, Suwannee, and Pine Forest (playoffs)     SHS 42-22 over CHS

1989 10-1 District Champions Lost to Lake Howell (playoffs)                                         CHS 31-0 over SHS

1990 10-2 District Champions lost to Leon and Choctawhatchee (playoffs)                   CHS 13-7 over SHS

Don't underestimate your CHS Tigers. They were a very strong 5A team those years. Suwannee was a very strong 3A team. Remember 5A was the largest class in the state until they added 6A in 1995.

Columbia

1987 10-1 Bowl win v Tampa Gaither Their only loss was to District foe Sandalwood. CHS 31-23 over SHS

1988 9-3 District Champions Lost to Raines, Suwannee, and Pine Forest (playoffs) SHS 42-22 over CHS

1989 10-1 District Champions Lost to Lake Howell (playoffs) CHS 31-0 over SHS

1990 10-2 District Champions lost to Leon and Choctawhatchee (playoffs) CHS 13-7 over SHS

Guess that bursts captain's theory 😂

Columbia

1987 10-1 Bowl win v Tampa Gaither  Their only loss was to District foe Sandalwood.  CHS 31-23 over SHS

1988 9-3 District Champions Lost to Raines, Suwannee, and Pine Forest (playoffs)     SHS 42-22 over CHS

1989 10-1 District Champions Lost to Lake Howell (playoffs)                                         CHS 31-0 over SHS

1990 10-2 District Champions lost to Leon and Choctawhatchee (playoffs)                   CHS 13-7 over SHS

Do you yearly results for Suwannee?

It's too bad alot of the early stuff (80's, 90's) got lost during cable company mergers, or is sitting on a shelf somewhere. I have about 60 games on my media server from '84 - '16, The early stuff is just really hard to find. I've thought about trying to see if I can digitize what the school still has. I know they threw out a bunch of old film a few years ago that had gone bad, i believe.

I have the team highlight videos from 86-96-99-04-05-06-12-14-15. Let me know if you're looking for anything specific.

I had to friggin listen to the 04,05, and 06 state games on the radio.  It's funny, for the 06 game I was visiting my grandparents in Orlando and they had Brighthouse, and of course back then the games were on a different channel.   Now I'm in back in South Florida and the state games are only on Brighthouse!  

That year in 2006 I made sure to record the game, but the damn DVR stopped recording shortly after regulation.   <_<

I ended up able to see the 06 full game online, but never was able to see the 04,05 games.   Not that they'd be any fun to watch haha. 

I had to friggin listen to the 04,05, and 06 state games on the radio.  It's funny, for the 06 game I was visiting my grandparents in Orlando and they had Brighthouse, and of course back then the games were on a different channel.   Now I'm in back in South Florida and the state games are only on Brighthouse!  

That year in 2006 I made sure to record the game, but the damn DVR stopped recording shortly after regulation.   <_<

I ended up able to see the 06 full game online, but never was able to see the 04,05 games.   Not that they'd be any fun to watch haha. 

I have all 6 state championship wins. The end of '06 is really the only one that has much tension. '86 was close, but not a great game. The others were really not that close. Probably the best games I have are the '96 semi-final vs. Rutherford and the '06 Semi-final vs. Mainland. Those were great games.

I have all 6 state championship wins. The end of '06 is really the only one that has much tension. '86 was close, but not a great game. The others were really not that close. Probably the best games I have are the '96 semi-final vs. Rutherford and the '06 Semi-final vs. Mainland. Those were great games.

Yes, that '06 semi was painful. Everytime the Bucs got back in it Cris Rainey took it to the house...Damn! But in all truth it's the '04 semi that still hurts the most. Our senior QB got knocked out early and we had no backup. Went to a wildcat formation using a wide receiver with ZERO game reps the entire season. Was still a 7-7 tie at the end of the third quarter. Lakeland was young that year. We were loaded with D-1's. Oh well.... sniffle, sniffle