Thoughts on this tweet

Joshua Wilson

This is interesting... thoughts?

Damn let the games begin I guess.    If you ain't texting, you ain't trying!    Honestly it's kind of messed up, but I'm sure this sort of thing is going to be happening a lot more now with the new rules.   Look on the bright side, there are going to be some good teams out there in random places!    

It seems pretty normal to me for players to recruit for their teams. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. If it was a coach that sent that message, which it doesn't appear to be, it is obviously wrong to do so.

I don't think there is a way to control players and parents recruiting for your school, and those are the avenues most coaches who recruit will go through. Maybe a coach can't entice little johnny to come to school "B", but your players, or parents or friends of the program can without penalty.

Players talk to each other all the time everybody knows everybody and this is going to happen everywhere.  As long as no coaches or school officials are involved then all is okay.  I don't see it as an issue unless it can be proven that a coach was involved but I would guess the kid that showed this text to his coach isn't planning on going to Trenton.

It seems pretty normal to me for players to recruit for their teams. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. If it was a coach that sent that message, which it doesn't appear to be, it is obviously wrong to do so.

I don't think there is a way to control players and parents recruiting for your school, and those are the avenues most coaches who recruit will go through. Maybe a coach can't entice little johnny to come to school "B", but your players, or parents or friends of the program can without penalty.

Actually if i read the fhsaa rules right from their website it is illegal for ANY member of the team to recruit, coaches or players

The seeds of this started several years ago when Lakeland fans hired an attorney and got Florida legislators involved in Tallahassee. Anytime politicians are involved follow the money. I concur with 954gator, let the games begin....welcome to the new wild,wild west.

Yep, and most of them don't get it.  I'm all for school choice for academic purposes but its become a legal loophole for athletic recruiting.  

The problem is this was in writing. Anybody is crazy if you don't think this is going on at every 7 on 7 practice or AAU basketball tournament. Like it or not this is the world we live in. Shark you know all about the Fhsaa allowing recruiting. You guys lost a once in a lifetime talent to IMG who the Fhsaa endorses.

The problem is this was in writing. Anybody is crazy if you don't think this is going on at every 7 on 7 practice or AAU basketball tournament. Like it or not this is the world we live in. Shark you know all about the Fhsaa allowing recruiting. You guys lost a once in a lifetime talent to IMG who the Fhsaa endorses.

Great point about the 7 on 7.  But the issue of the text message is a non story, don't think for a minute that players from other schools probably even Williston haven't tried to talk Trenton players into coming to their school.  It has been going on for years and will continue.

Actually if i read the fhsaa rules right from their website it is illegal for ANY member of the team to recruit, coaches or players

True, but what are the consequences for a non coach? Is it fair to fine a school for what a minor does? Can you punish a player for trying to get a friend to come to the same school as him? What can you do to little Johnny's uncle who is trying to find some receivers for his nephew, who is the new qb at school Z to throw to.

That's where the recruiting is happening at. These all star 7 on 7 teams goes on and with al these kids at one spot , you definitely know they will be recruiting each other...