The Building of Super Teams

Proseteye

10 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

No one ever brags about Cocoa's transfers. Someone from one of the other locale Brevard teams may come on here and complain about Cocoa getting transfers. I believe it was legal last year. How many schools win year in and year out that only play their home grown players? 

Here's the deal. It doesn't matter how many great players you have on a team if your coach isn't championship quality. 

So no, transfers are not always the answer to  building a great program. You also need a top quality coach to go along with that talent.

Simple as it can be said. You can win a lot of games on talent, but you're unlikely to win a championship with average coaching.

You are probably 100% correct. We played 5A Rickards in 2007 and 2008. We are 3A and had less than half the roster. Played at Rickards. Destroyed them both years. Richards had quite a few excellent athletes and probably better overall than ours. But, they had pitiful coaching and I felt really sorry for those kids. Fast forward a few years. They now apparently have decent coaching and are now  winners. Another team that we play is 5A Eastside that has good athletes but never seems to get it together and I suspect coaching and that Gainesville and Bucholtz keep taking their best players.

To be honest most kids want to be coached and pushed. There are schools who dont hold kids accountable to be at off season workouts and in return that makes a kid feel like a certain way towards their coaches.  I will never blame a kid for wanting to go somewhere that has a tradition of hard work and accountability. Now there are kids that transfer because they dont want to work or wait their turn to get on the field. I personally would rather them leave anyways. I see incoming 9th graders all the time that want to leave or take it easy during workouts. But in a great program you can see how they change and in time become the same type of hard nosed workers that showed them the way when they were younger. If you have something that is rich in integrity and hard work then kids will stay and even some will transfer in to be a part of it. 

8 hours ago, Proseteye said:

You are probably 100% correct. We played 5A Rickards in 2007 and 2008. We are 3A and had less than half the roster. Played at Rickards. Destroyed them both years. Richards had quite a few excellent athletes and probably better overall than ours. But, they had pitiful coaching and I felt really sorry for those kids. Fast forward a few years. They now apparently have decent coaching and are now are winners. Another team that we play is 5A Eastside that has good athletes but never seems to get it together and I suspect coaching and that Gainesville and Bucholtz keep taking their best players.

Eastside hasn't been able to keep players in house and the results are staggering 

They have fallen off so much in the past decade