Class 3A Thoughts and Speculation

SPCjessica2004

Hello everyone! I've received numerous E-mails and requests regarding Class 3A this year and I'm aware some members have been trying to track me down. My husband, brother and I have been away from high school football for awhile due to family, 9-5 work schedules and various other influencing factors; however, I wanted to at least put out some thoughts on 3A. I don't know how often I'll be able to post or contribute, but I'll try to answer as much as I can when I can.

My top 7 teams in 3A going into Fall 2017

1) Chaminade- Madonna:  It's hard to envision anybody beating the Lions this year for class 3A now that Jacksonville Trinity Christian is in 5A. Truthfully, if Chaminade didn't receive a single transfer they would still be the team to beat, but they've added 11 transfers from last year making this not only the top team in 3A but one of the top teams in America. Chaminade is also doing what many consider to be the right thing by playing Miami Central, Miami Booker T, American Heritage Plantation and a host of quality teams. I don't think I'm far off by saying the 2017 version of Chaminade will go blow for blow with all of the previously mentioned teams barring injury.

2) Oxbridge Academy: [redacted by admin] I'm not going to touch the controversy surrounding the program [redacted by admin] they'll be in a great position to push for Orlando. CJ Smith is one of the top players in Florida and the team as a whole seems to be just as talented as years past. Oxbridge has an overall quality schedule with Glades Central and Archbishop Wood (PA) on the schedule.

3) Melbourne Central Catholic- Last year the Hustlers were the surprise team in 3A. This year the Hustlers return most of their team in-tact and have a much easier road in the playoffs than having to go through CCC and Chaminade in consecutive weeks. The schedule has also been beefed up. If Oxbridge doesn't field a team this year, MCC has to be considered an overwhelming favorite to be in Orlando in December. Even if Oxbridge fields a team, they may still be the favorite. Joaquin Collazo, Lavante Valentine and a tremendous defense should get the Hustlers to a 9-1 regular season record. I can't see them beating Fort Pierce Central, but everyone else in the regular season is fair game.

4) Clearwater Central Catholic- The Marauders were hit hard due to graduation and then lost their two top returning Juniors to rival Calvary Christian. Still, the Marauders received more than they lost and still have what many consider to be one of the top linebacking corps in the state with Deandre Fitz-Henley leading the defense. Let's be clear, the 2017 version of CCC will not win a state championship; however, I can see the Marauders finishing 9-1 or 8-2 and making a return trip to the State Semi-Finals setting up a state championship run in 2018 behind their immensely talented Junior and Sophomore classes.

5) Tampa Catholic- Like CCC, the Crusaders were hit hard due to graduation with the loss of Austin Sessums and Devan Barrett, still the Crusaders have a strong bunch of athletes Lead by an outstanding young QB in Charlie Dean. TC also has numerous young athletes that are highly thought of by regional websites in the Tampa area. TC always finds a way to play a competitive schedule and this year is no different. The losing streak to Jesuit won't end and I can easily see this TC team finishing 7-3, but the Crusaders should be in the regional finals this year.

6) American Heritage Delray- The Stallions may of struggled in 2016, but with a combination of young players growing-up and transfers the Stallions should begin the path back to the top. Like other 3A teams, they don't have a shot against Chaminade, but that's not the goal for 2017. Getting to 7-3, a win over Glades Central and getting to the regional finals are all realistic.

7) Calvary Christian (Clearwater) - Calvary Christian has historically been an average at best football team that's played in the shadow of CCC, Tampa Catholic and other private school powers in Tampa Bay- but, the 2017 version of Calvary could be on the cusp of breaking onto the regional scene as they managed to grab superstars Amari Burney and Deandre Ferguson from CCC. They are also home to one of the dominant linemen in 3A Ethan White.

Now, some questions I've received via E-mail or via message boards:

Peezy28 wanted to know my thoughts on Jay Davis being hired at St. Petersburg Catholic per the FloridaHSfootball message boards;

I don't know much about Jay outside of him being one of the all-time great quarterbacks in county history. So, if he plays QB for SPC? Sure- I think we can compete, but St. Pete Catholic is going to be a multiple year rebuilding job that is going to require money, time, resources, and luck- all of which have been in short supply at SPC for ages. I've felt for years the Barons should go independent and rebuild the program. The schedule isn't impossible- but there's no reason to be playing Cardinal Mooney, CCC or Calvary. The rest of the games I'm okay with. I wish Coach Davis the best, but I'm not expecting much.

What does Melbourne Central Catholic need to win Class 3A? -HustlerJam

I discussed this above, but the the Hustlers already received help with realignment of 3A. In years past MCC had to go through any combination of TampaCatholic/CCC/Chaminade/Oxbridge only to face Jacksonville Trinity in the finals. MCC most likely will be matched up with Oxbridge at some point (if Oxbridge fields a team), but the question is- can MCC beat Chaminade in the finals? Well, MCC hung around with Chaminade for a half last year, but wore down quickly since they played a 9 overtime marathon the week before. This Chamainde team is better at every position across the board due to transfers from their 2016 version and I don't think MCC has gotten any more talented due to transfers. So, I could see the game being a 42-24 kind of game going to Chaminade.

So, to get to Orlando I think MCC has a very realistic chance to beating Oxbridge and arriving 12-1, but to beat Chaminade they will probably need a combination of Chaminade injury, MCC playing a perfect game and luck.

Does Jacksonville Trinity Christian going to 5A open up 3A over the next few years? JaxTCADad

It opens up North 3A immediately; however, in 2017 nobody is beating Chaminade.

I understand I'm projecting here, but unless there's massive transfers (and it's 3a, so there could be), 2018 could be the most competitive 3A has ever been. It should see a defending state champion Chaminade-Madonna with a highly talented 2018/2019 class, a stupid-loaded Clearwater Central Catholic and a returning to power Delray American Heritage as the top 3 teams in the South.  CCC will receive competition from Tampa Catholic, Berkeley Prep. Chaminade and American Heritage will be playing chess trying to out-maneuver each other.

The north after 2017 will be completely wide open. MCC, Ocala Trinity, Oxbridge Academy, Holy Trinity will all be players going forward.

I keep hearing that that this year could be last year of top level talent at Oxbridge before dropping off because future classes there are not as loaded as past few years 

Also i hear good things about Ocala Trinity 

Would it be a surprise if they won 3a north to return to states?

[Edited by admin to remove rumor talk] 

It's tough to project Oxbridge Academy right now. My understanding based on the Palm Beach Post is that they're d emphasizing football, meaning- they're not kicking football players out, but they will not be getting 3,4,5 star kids showing up on a Monday afternoon before football practice either.

I'm fairly positive I know what's in their senior class- which makes them a top 2 team in the north of 3A, but after that- I don't know what's coming up behind them.

As for Ocala Trinity Catholic,would it be a surprise if they won 3A North in 2017? Yes. To win 3A north that means they beat MCC and/or Oxbridge. OTC would be heavy underdogs in either game. After 2017? Say 2018/2019? I don't think it's a stretch to put OTC in the mix or see them win 3A north, but it would still be a stretch to see them beat CCC/Chaminade/AHD in the finals.