Preseason outlook

DisabledAccount

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

Plant has won 2 big 7v7 tournaments this year.  They won both the UCF and USF camps.  There were some very good teams in attendance.  They smoked BA in the finals.

Here is a solid summary  from Larry Blustein on how SFL teams competed at the USF 7 v 7 Sling & Shoot :

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/after-20-years-usf-sling-shoot-still-going-strong/

5 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Here is a solid summary  from Larry Blustein on how SFL teams competed at the USF 7 v 7 Sling & Shoot :

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/after-20-years-usf-sling-shoot-still-going-strong/

I wonder how schools like sta would do if they competed in 7 on 7 as a team instead of their players just doing the 7 on 7 travel team approach 

12 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Well if you use common opponents Madison and university Christian probably about same tier

They both won close games against Fort White 

University Christian's 41-7 win over Dixie County is notable and fairly impressive considering Dixie County played fairly competitive games versus  @ Trenton - L 13- 20, and Newberry L 20 - 24.

I think Universtiy Christian versus Pahokee/Madison on a neutral field would have been a nice 2016 game!

http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2016/project_matchup2.pl

That was calpreps projection on Madison and university Christian 

http://www.calpreps.com/cgi-bin/2016/project_matchup2.pl

That was calpreps projection on Pahokee vs university Christian 

Interesting enough is Madison wins projection by 10 while Pahokee wins by 4 despite fact Pahokee beat Madison and won 1a

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I wonder how schools like sta would do if they competed in 7 on 7 as a team instead of their players just doing the 7 on 7 travel team approach 

Probably not nearly as dominant as 11 man football. I don't really hear about Bishop Gorman, St. John Bosco and IMG and other top 25 type schools in 7 on 7 national events either.

When you have Stranahan winning national championships that should back that up a bit...

Miami Central and Flanagan haven't done 7 on 7 either as a team in recent years but some of their players did do the 7 on 7 travel teams.  If I am not mistaken the travel 7 on 7 is more winter and early spring rather than summer.

Obviously it did not phase those 3 teams too much not competing in the HS team summer 7 on 7s  over the last few years ....

9 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Probably not nearly as dominant as 11 man football. I don't really hear about Bishop Gorman, St. John Bosco and IMG and other top 25 type schools in 7 on 7 national events either.

When you have Stranahan winning national championships that should back that up a bit...

Miami Central and Flanagan haven't done 7 on 7 either as a team in recent years but some of their players did do the 7 on 7 travel teams.  If I am not mistaken the travel 7 on 7 is more winter and early spring rather than summer.

Obviously it did not phase those 3 teams too much not competing in the HS team summer 7 on 7s  over the last few years ....

Oh i know that

I'm just saying i would be curious how they would do as a team in a 7 on 7 competition lol

2 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Oh i know that

I'm just saying i would be curious how they would do as a team in a 7 on 7 competition lol

Put it this way.  If my team did 7 on 7s , I would surely rather they look good than not.  Like 954gator said when you see a generally established team like Plant doing well in 7 on 7s, it is probably generally a better sign than not...at least at the skilled positions.

Just now, BrowardHandicapper said:

Put it this way.  If my team did 7 on 7s , I would surely rather they look good than not.  Like 954gator said when you see a generally established team like Plant doing well in 7 on 7s, it is probably generally a better sign than not...at least at the skilled positions.

Absolutely 

How Columbia did in camps and 7 on 7 is what gave me confidence in 2015, interesting fact we didn't do it in 2014 and offense clearly had chemistry issues, in 2015 we set records after doing 7 on 7 in summer 

Now 7 on 7 doesn't translate to wins all the time but it probably helps more than hurts and a lot of times this summer stuff like these contact camps and 7 on 7 camps and tournaments will translate to better skill position performance in the fall and usually gives you better chemistry

7 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Interesting....I don't think either of those teams put up quite that many points in November on University Christian though....

I think what hurts university Christian more than anything is 2a overall is weak and they lack competition on the north side of the bracket 

North Florida Christian isn't what they once were and they probably second best team in 2a north

So university Christian gets pushed aside due to not being in a good class

Plus when they play powerhouses, like tca and Brentwood academy for example they struggle so people usually don't see them as elite, i personally dont see them as elite but i agree with you on the fact they get overlooked when people talk about solid Florida teams, especially for their class

3 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Here my updated class rankings 

3 1A
3 2A
7 3A
7 4A
18 5A
21 6A
20 7A
21 8A

8th*- 2A
7th*- 1A
6th*- 4A
5th*- 3A
4th- 5A
3rd- 7A
2nd*- 8A
1st*- 6A

* higher position awarded in tie numbers by having number 1 team in class higher than number 1 team in compared class

What if the classes that are tied had more teams ranked higher than the class they were tied with?

12 minutes ago, KeemD321 said:

What if the classes that are tied had more teams ranked higher than the class they were tied with?

What i did to break ties was which ever class had the highest ranked team was given edge

For example 4a and 3a were tied

3a number 1 Chaminade Madonna was higher than 4a number 1 cocoa so 3a was given the bump over 4a in the rankings

I'll be doing the same thing throughout the season so these rankings are likely to change from week to week

7 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Looks like more South Fl teams than I thought.   My point was it's not an easy tournament to win, and if my memory serves me correctly, the last time Plant was dominant in 7v7 they were winning state championships.  

6 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Pretty sure Miami Central has been playing 7v7 this year.  Can anyone confirm this?

14 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Looks like more South Fl teams than I thought.   My point was it's not an easy tournament to win, and if my memory serves me correctly, the last time Plant was dominant in 7v7 they were winning state championships.  

Well Plant was at state last year, just didn't go that well

I see 6 teams with shot to win 7a north 

Plant 

Viera 

Lakeland 

Robert E Lee 

Columbia 

Bartram trail 

I'll start by eliminating 2 teams who match up badily with sta

Bartram trail doesn't have secondary to be threat to sta so that won't be a game to hope for 

Robert E Lee has a overly aggressive defense and doesn't play enough top level teams to be ready for sta and that overly aggressive defense would get exposed by sta

So leaves 4 teams

Plant and viera have played sta but didn't do well so question is do you think them getting a second shot at sta will lead to a better outcome? 

Leaves lakeland and columbia both teams with a lot of history and have been able to beat teams they probably shouldn't have in their past

So which team gives best opportunity to give sta a game? 

12 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They were in top 10 until Jones was added in

And i see them finishing 3rd in that district and being down this year 

Have to disagree with you on this. Bolles has year in and year out either been in the championship game or within a game of it. To think that they will not be within the top 10, and even near the top, in their classification is not very realistic. I respect your opinion. However, just can't see it.. ;)

6 minutes ago, Proseteye said:

Have to disagree with you on this. Bolles has year in and year out either been in the championship game or within a game of it. To think that they will not be within the top 10, and even near the top, in their classification is not very realistic. I respect your opinion. However, just can't see it.. ;)

2 reasons

1 no Corky Rogers 

2, 5a district they in actually has competitive teams, something Bolles not used to facing

Like the only team even close to them talent in their District last few years been raines, the rest of the district were no where close to Bolles, i see 2 teams better than them and then you throw in a team like Bishop Kenny who no pushover you got a far tougher road then normal and no Corky Rogers will cause a adjustment period that i feel holds Bolles back in 2017

14 hours ago, 954gator said:

Pretty sure Miami Central has been playing 7v7 this year.  Can anyone confirm this?

They obviously competed at the Duke Johnson 7 on 7 but traditionally over the last 5 years Central has rarely (if anytime) competed in 7 v 7 events as a HS team.  Have not noticed Central at any other events but it appears they may now actively be doing 7 v 7s.  I am not sure if they did the Duke Johnson or any 7 on 7 tourney at all last year...  Zoe Boy can probably confirm this...