Preseason outlook

DisabledAccount

We can put DFB wherever we want early on like usual.  The only sure thing  is they will lose soundly in their final post season  game of the season.  That said, to me it is hard to classify DFB as a elite FL team in recent years outside of a roster on paper.  They are not losing to elite FL teams when the $ is on the line,  they are getting pounded on the scoreboard.

DFB's last 5 post season season ending scores :

2016 =  7 - 26

2015 = 0 - 17

2013 = 6 - 43

2012 = 13 - 41

2011 = 3 - 24 

Combined = 29 -149 !

That is not a isolated score.  Five postseasons over 6 years is a established trend.  Fair?

1 minute ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

We can put DFB wherever we want early on like usual.  The only sure thing  is they will lose soundly in their final post season  game of the season.  That said, to me it is hard to classify DFB as a elite FL team in recent years outside of a roster on paper.  They are not losing to elite FL teams when the $ is on the line,  they are getting pounded on the scoreboard.

2016 =  7 - 26

2015 = 0 - 17

2013 = 6 - 43

2012 = 13 - 41

2011 = 3 - 24 

It is unfortunate because I feel they are better than this. But for some reason, when it matters, they choke. Last year, Deerfield Beach vs Seminole would have been a very attractive 8A state final. 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

It is unfortunate because I feel they are better than this. But for some reason, when it matters, they choke. Last year, Deerfield Beach vs Seminole would have been a very attractive 8A state final. 

They choke in a sense of getting slaughtered but realistically they lost to flat out better teams.  

Southridge, Flanagan, Cypress Bay and the Miramar teams were just - better.  DFB could have kept the games closer though.  DFB was pretty beat up when they played Southridge last year particularly and I think 2016 was their chance to get to Orlando with a down 8A South.    

The Flanagan, Miramar, and Cypress Bay teams were on another level than DFB in those other years IMO.  Smothering Defenses by Flanagan and Miramar and those Cypress Bay offenses were  a machine (as Apopka knows ;) ) .

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

2016 =  7 - 26

2015 = 0 - 17

2013 = 6 - 43

2012 = 13 - 41

2011 = 3 - 24 

Combined = 29 -149 !

That is not a isolated score.  Five postseasons over 6 years is a established trend.  Fair?

Vero Beach/Coach J playoff history:

East Lake 41-22

East Lake 29-7

Manatee 34-28

Manatee 47-28

Osceola 42-35 almost 49-35

Dr Philips 34-24 

Vero has tied the state for second most loses on the road in the playoffs...

3 minutes ago, Floridatechfootball said:

Vero Beach/Coach J playoff history:

East Lake 41-22

East Lake 29-7

Manatee 34-28

Manatee 47-28

Osceola 42-35 almost 49-35

Dr Philips 34-24 

Vero has tied the state for second most loses on the road in the playoffs...

Maybe you all should schedule cocoa or mainland  in the regular season 

Heck even Dr Phillips, Osceola or even apopka could be other matchups that might come in handy to gain experience 

When Vero was great it was when they played powerhouses 

5 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Maybe you all should schedule cocoa or mainland  in the regular season 

Heck even Dr Phillips, Osceola or even apopka could be other matchups that might come in handy to gain experience 

When Vero was great it was when they played powerhouses 

Tru but we'll see what this year schedule does for em

9 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

2016 =  7 - 26

2015 = 0 - 17

2013 = 6 - 43

2012 = 13 - 41

2011 = 3 - 24 

Combined = 29 -149 !

I think last year's score isn't really showing how close that game was.   DFB was up at the start of the 4th quarter and yes they blew the game with big turnovers.   They were in that game though.  In fact I think they fumbled the ball or got stuffed at the 1 yard line early where they might have gone up 14-0.   2015 they definitely were outclassed and before that they just weren't as good IMO.   

DFB's best team in my opinion was in 2007.  They beat state champ STA and were a couple seconds away from taking down one of the best FL teams ever (MNW).   I'd love to see a replay of that game. 

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

I think last year's score isn't really showing how close that game was.   DFB was up at the start of the 4th quarter and yes they blew the game with big turnovers.   They were in that game though.  In fact I think they fumbled the ball or got stuffed at the 1 yard line early where they might have gone up 14-0.   2015 they definitely were outclassed and before that they just weren't as good IMO.   

DFB's best team in my opinion was in 2007.  They beat state champ STA and were a couple seconds away from taking down one of the best FL teams ever (MNW).   I'd love to see a replay of that game. 

I would agree with that for the most part....  DFB was indeed outscored in that game 20- in the 4th qtr.  But keep in mind Deerfield Beach's only TD was on a fumble return  in the first quarter.  

Southridge had SIX turnovers in that game and DFB could only muster 7 total points.  Southridge fumbled 5 times and lost all 5 in that game, and also got picked once and only  total 7pts off all of that  DFB.

DFB did not fumble in the game but got picked twice , one being a 96 yard INT return in the 4th qtr.  

Overall, if you are a +4 on takeaways in a game and only muster 7 pts , and lose 7-26  - not good.

DFB got banged up a bit in the previous 2 weeks and had some tragic stuff happen off the field going into that game.  I believe that game may have been a different final score if DFB goes in healthy. 

17 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

I would agree with that for the most part....  DFB was indeed outscored in that game 20- in the 4th qtr.  But keep in mind Deerfield Beach's only TD was on a fumble return  in the first quarter.  

Southridge had SIX turnovers in that game and DFB could only muster 7 total points.  Southridge fumbled 5 times and lost all 5 in that game, and also got picked once and only  total 7pts off all of that  DFB.

DFB did not fumble in the game but got picked twice , one being a 96 yard INT return in the 4th qtr.  

Overall, if you are a +4 on takeaways in a game and only muster 7 pts , and lose 7-26  - not good.

DFB got banged up a bit in the previous 2 weeks and had some tragic stuff happen off the field going into that game.  I believe that game may have been a different final score if DFB goes in healthy. 

Which you think is better in 2017 

Deerfield or Southridge and by how big a margin? 

14 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Which you think is better in 2017 

Deerfield or Southridge and by how big a margin? 

I am going to give a lean to Southridge in late July....  To me DFB may match or even have more SFL  8A "Varsity" level depth than Southridge, but I give the edge in starters to Southridge.  I am fairly confident Southridge has not slipped to much from 2016, but I simply can't say the same about DFB - particularly offensively.  DFB 2015 and 2016 WR core were both very, very talented.  I know they have a talented McDougle coming up but I just don't see the depth or overall skill set returning at WR.   Then again, I have a hunch their roster is going to look a lot more polished then what I anticipate.

11 hours ago, 954gator said:

I was at that orange bowl game too.. It was unreal!! 

On 7/30/2017 at 1:32 AM, BrowardHandicapper said:

I am going to give a lean to Southridge in late July....  To me DFB may match or even have more SFL  8A "Varsity" level depth than Southridge, but I give the edge in starters to Southridge.  I am fairly confident Southridge has not slipped to much from 2016, but I simply can't say the same about DFB - particularly offensively.  DFB 2015 and 2016 WR core were both very, very talented.  I know they have a talented McDougle coming up but I just don't see the depth or overall skill set returning at WR.   Then again, I have a hunch their roster is going to look a lot more polished then what I anticipate.

On paper who do u think is better 2017 DFB or dillard

Now without further adieu here is the preseason top 100 for Florida that I've been working on since May

1 STA  (-)  7A

2 Miami Northwestern (-) 6A

3 Miami Central (-)  6A

4 Miami Carol City (-) 6A

5 American Heritage Plantation (-) 5A

6 Chaminade-Madonna  (-) 3A

7 Atlantic Delray (-) 8A

8 Miami Southridge (-) 8A

9 Cocoa (-) 4A

10 Apopka (-) 8A

11 Jax Trinity Christian (-) 5A

12 Mainland (-) 6A