Preseason outlook

DisabledAccount

With a lot better than usual depth in Palm Beach County this year (IMO), I decided to list a top twenty.

PB County Pre-Season Top 20:

Atlantic (8A-10)

Oxbridge Academy (3A-Region 2)
Park Vista (8A-10)
PB Gardens (8A-9)
Boynton Beach (6A-15)
Pahokee (1A- Region 4)
PB Central (8A-9)

Dwyer (7A-13)
American Heritage (3A- Region 4)
PB Lakes (7A-13)
Glades Central (4A-4)
Wellington (8A-9)
Boca Raton (8A-10)
Olympic Heights (7A-13)
Seminole Ridge (8A-9)

Cardinal Newman (3A-Region 2)
Benjamin (3A- Region 4)
Kings Academy (3A- Region 2)
Suncoast (5A-15)
Forest Hill (7A-13)

Of note: Glades Day (2A-Region 4)

6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Now without further adieu here is the preseason top 100 for Florida that I've been working on since May

1 STA  (-)  7A

2 Miami Northwestern (-) 6A

3 Miami Central (-)  6A

4 Miami Carol City (-) 6A

5 American Heritage Plantation (-) 5A

6 Chaminade-Madonna  (-) 3A

7 Atlantic Delray (-) 8A

8 Miami Southridge (-) 8A

9 Cocoa (-) 4A

10 Apopka (-) 8A

11 Jax Trinity Christian (-) 5A

12 Mainland (-) 6A

13 Cardinal Gibbons (-) 5A

14 Miami Booker T Washington (-) 4A

15 Lake Gibson (-) 6A

16 Dr Phillips (-) 8A 

17 Miramar (-) 8A

18 Lakeland (-) 7A 

19 Armwood (-) 6A

20 Vero Beach (-) 8A

21 Deerfield Beach (-) 8A

22 Oxbridge Academy (-) 3A

23 Plant (-) 7A

24 Miami Senior (-) 8A

25 Miami Norland (-) 6A

26 Osceola (-) 8A

27 Orange City University (-) 8A

28 Niceville (-) 6A

29 Vanguard (-) 6A

30 Venice (-) 7A

31 Columbus (-) 8A

32  Ponte vedra (-) 5A

33 Dillard (-) 6A

34 Champagnat (-) 2A

35 Robert E Lee (-) 7A

36 Bartram Trail (-) 7A

37 Columbia (-) 7A

38 Viera (-) 7A

39 Melbourne Central Catholic (-) 3A

40 Braden River (-) 7A

41 Palm Beach Gardens (-) 8A

42 Coral Gables (-) 8A

43 Raines (-) 4A

44 Sandalwood (-) 8A

45 Buchholz (-) 7A

46 Park Vista (-) 8A

47 Madison County (-) 1A

48 West Florida (-) 5A

49 Western (-) 8A

50 Doral Academy (-) 7A

51 Jones (-) 5A

52 Clearwater Central Catholic (-) 3A

53 Sanford Seminole (-) 8A

54 Trinity Catholic (-) 3A

55 Tampa Catholic (-) 3A

56 St Augustine (-) 6A 

57 Rickards (-) 5A

58 Mater Academy (-) 7A

59 Ely (-) 5A

60 Glades Central (-) 4A

61 University School (-) 4A

62 Bishop Moore (-) 5A

63 AHD (-) 3A

64 Baker County (-) 5A

65 Bolles(-) 5A

66 Manatee (-) 8A

67 Gulf Breeze (-) 6A

68 Escambia (-) 6A

69 Dwyer (-) 7A

70 Lake Brantley(-) 8A

71 Pahokee (-) 1A

72 Gainesville (-) 6A

73 Clay(-) 5A

74 Trenton (-) 4A

75 Tampa Bay Tech (-) 7A

76 Boynton beach (-) 6A

77 Chiles (-) 7A

78 Tate(-) 6A

79 Jesuit (-) 5A

80 Lincoln (-) 7A

81 University Christian (-) 2A

82 Crestview (-) 6A

83 Naples (-) 6A

84 Pace (-) 6A

85 Stoneman Douglas (-) 8A

86 Wakulla (-) 5A

87 North Miami Beach (-) 8A

88 Tampa Jefferson (-) 5A

89 Cambridge Christian (-) 2A

90 Hillsborough (-) 6A

91 Ribault  (-) 5A

92 South Sumter (-) 4A

93 Piper  (-) 7A

94 South Broward (-) 7A

95 Palm Beach Central (-) 8A

96 Fletcher (-) 7A

97 North Florida Christian (-) 2A

98 Hamilton County (-) 1A

99 Godby (-) 5A

100 Suwannee (-) 5A

Dope Ass lost bro I dig it.! Now can we play some football...sheesshhh ...so ready for podium day on Friday 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I will comment on their statement about STA 

"We are the only national poll to have St. Thomas Aquinas at preseason #1 so are we just not seeing what everyone else is? It’s very possible but we think the Raiders are the most talented team in the country. They should’ve beat eventual national champion Bishop Gorman last year if not for some bizarre coaching decisions. While those decisions were on the offensive side of the ball the Raiders did bring in a couple of NFL superstars ins Jason Taylor and Sam Madison to join the coaching staff. Both have been coaching youth ball for a couple of years now and will definitely help with what could be the nation’s top defense. The Raiders did lose a lot on the offensive side of the ball but we were not as high on Jake Allen as others were so we aren’t as skeptical. We think Curt Casteel is more than capable of coming in and doing a great job. He is coming off a great Spring and we think he will turn some heads this year. Yes the Raiders lost some incredible skill position players but if there is one thing there is no shortage of in South Florida that is running back and wide receivers."

I agree with most of this .  It is refreshing to see a opinionated reference to the loss of Jake Allen.  I would agree Jason Taylor and Sam Madison are a plus to the STA program.  As to STA having the most talented team in the country....I would agree to that possibly only in regards to overall team depth,  that is a fair statement, however I do not believe STA necessarily has the best starting team in the country on both sides of the ball. No.  Just no....

I think they are missing that unstoppable player on both sides of the ball.  STA seems to have a lot more 2 and 3 star players than usual but they do not have the 4 and 5 star power of recent years from what I have seen.  Who is their unstoppable dynamic offensive player this year?  Who is their Sam Bruce or Trevon Grimes?  

Great secondary defensively and solid all over on that side of the ball,  but who is their 5 star man-child this year?  Who is their Nick Bosa or anything close to it?

Also , I'm sorry but the 2017 WR and RB core is not sniffing the 2016 core.  Not even close.  Simply more talent and more depth last year.  If you research for yourself you will see what I mean...

As to STA being a #1 pre-season ranking.... You could probably argue an angle for all of the top 5 teams and there is no way I would try to argue any of those teams are do not belong. 

Looking at the rest of the rankings... I think Dade county is a little lightly noticed and mis-represented here.  You will never convince me a team from Michigan and other states should be ranked higher than the best team in Dade County.  Never. If the author is reading this please state your case....

I think California has a lot of opportunity to prove themselves and shut a few states up....From what I have read and researched , I have no problem with those 5 Cali teams in the top 25 in pre-season.

7 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

"We are the only national poll to have St. Thomas Aquinas at preseason #1 so are we just not seeing what everyone else is? It’s very possible but we think the Raiders are the most talented team in the country. They should’ve beat eventual national champion Bishop Gorman last year if not for some bizarre coaching decisions. While those decisions were on the offensive side of the ball the Raiders did bring in a couple of NFL superstars ins Jason Taylor and Sam Madison to join the coaching staff. Both have been coaching youth ball for a couple of years now and will definitely help with what could be the nation’s top defense. The Raiders did lose a lot on the offensive side of the ball but we were not as high on Jake Allen as others were so we aren’t as skeptical. We think Curt Casteel is more than capable of coming in and doing a great job. He is coming off a great Spring and we think he will turn some heads this year. Yes the Raiders lost some incredible skill position players but if there is one thing there is no shortage of in South Florida that is running back and wide receivers."

I agree with most of this .  It is refreshing to see a opinionated reference to the loss of Jake Allen.  I would agree Jason Taylor and Sam Madison are a plus to the STA program.  As to STA having the most talented team in the country....I would agree to that possibly only in regards to overall team depth,  that is a fair statement, however I do not believe STA necessarily has the best starting team in the country on both sides of the ball. No.  Just no....

I think they are missing that unstoppable player on both sides of the ball.  STA seems to have a lot more 2 and 3 star players than usual but they do not have the 4 and 5 star power of recent years from what I have seen.  Who is their unstoppable dynamic offensive player this year?  Who is their Sam Bruce or Trevon Grimes?  

Great secondary defensively and solid all over on that side of the ball,  but who is their 5 star man-child this year?  Who is their Nick Bosa or anything close to it?

Also , I'm sorry but the 2017 WR and RB core is not sniffing the 2016 core.  Not even close.  Simply more talent and more depth last year.  If you research for yourself you will see what I mean...

As to STA being a #1 pre-season ranking.... You could probably argue an angle for all of the top 5 teams and there is no way I would try to argue any of those teams are do not belong. 

Looking at the rest of the rankings... I think Dade county is a little lightly noticed and mis-represented here.  You will never convince me a team from Michigan and other states should be ranked higher than the best team in Dade County.  Never. If the author is reading this please state your case....

I think California has a lot of opportunity to prove themselves and shut a few states up....From what I have read and researched , I have no problem with those 5 Cali teams in the top 25 in pre-season.

This da year AHP shoulda played STA get back payback for 2014

9 hours ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Don't they still have that Samuel's kid?

5 hours ago, Zoe Boy said:

It's a bunch of teams I feel they should play every year or if not every other year..

STA and AHP keep from playing each other annually so both have high percentages of going undefeated. Don't want to tarnish their 15-0 or 14-1 records should they both make it through OOD play. In Miami-Dade everybody plays everybody year in and year out. 3A and 4A schools are playing 6A thru 8A teams.

11 hours ago, MC Rockets said:

STA and AHP keep from playing each other annually so both have high percentages of going undefeated. Don't want to tarnish their 15-0 or 14-1 records should they both make it through OOD play. In Miami-Dade everybody plays everybody year in and year out. 3A and 4A schools are playing 6A thru 8A teams.

If they don't they would get called out lol!! George Smith knows what he's doing..

On 7/2/2017 at 5:33 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

I am ranking the classes based on most members in my top 100 and without further adieu here is my projected top classes

Class rankings worst to best

8th-  2A
7th- 1A
6th-* 4A
5th-* 3A
4th- 5A
3rd- 7A
2nd- 8A
1st- 6A

*both 3a and 4a had 7 in top 100 so i gave 3a edge for having their number 1 team higher in the top 100

Chaminade could end up with 3 loses. If they win 3A do you still rank them ahead of an undefeated or 1 lose 4A champion?

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Chaminade could end up with 3 loses. If they win 3A do you still rank them ahead of an undefeated or 1 lose 4A champion?

Well like the main preseason rankings I'm gonna update this portion of rankings week to week so they may not but by then 3a may have more in top 100 and not need to break a tie lol or vise versa 

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

@BrowardHandicapper  I'd say STA definitely doesn't have a Trevon Grimes, but man Elijah Moore definitely has some Sam Bruce in him!

For sure.  Moore is a nice player, but to me Bruce was more dynamic in the sense he is more versatile coming out of the backfield , playing special teams. Just electric anytime he touched the ball...perhaps a step quicker laterally than Moore. 

Moore to me is close and I see him as more of a WR running routes versus Bruce running routes but more successful with screens, end-arounds etc.. 

Can you imagine the WR core Western would have had right now if they still had their WRs who originally came in there?

Kevin Austin (NBP)  and Elijah Moore(STA)  are arguably the top two WRs in Broward right now.

But the overall depth at RB and WR over the last few years at STA was just more talented, would you agree? 

I am not saying these new faces at STA can't become elite players but heading in to the 2017 season I am just not seeing it yet.