Hollywood Hills female looking to win starting QB job

SportsNut25

3 hours ago, Sharkbait said:

The article says she is second string at 5'2" with a 30 yard deep ball.  Obviously winning isn't much of a priority in Hollywood Hills.

This spring a couple  HH top players left to playoff level teams.  Best player went to Krop I believe.  Over the last week I believe Flanagan picked up a handful (JV/Varsity level)  who will join their former HC.

Hey if they are good enough but this is her first playing varsity and she is 2 on the depth chart. They had 70 players on the roster last year and she is the pushing the starter.  Would a 5'2" boy with equal experience and athletic ability even be let on the field?  That wide stance and wind up throwing motion is going to get her killed. The coach needs to think about her safety.

58 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

Hey if they are good enough but this is her first playing varsity and she is 2 on the depth chart. They had 70 players on the roster last year and she is the pushing the starter.  Would a 5'2" boy with equal experience and athletic ability even be let on the field?  That wide stance and wind up throwing motion is going to get her killed. The coach needs to think about her safety.

You are right. If I were her parent or guardian I would say enough is enough. I normally don't intervene in such things, but in this case it would be the right call.

One would think Hog hunter but in the PC world we live in that individual, HC and entire program would likely be frowned upon.  It is a no win situation for opposing teams...

I remember another female a few years back.... South Plantation had a female QB in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_DiMeglio

You ask yourself if you were a opposing coach or player do you let up on tackling her?

BOL to the Hollywood Hills QB but I'm not buying the concept that there is not a more capable player on the team even if you have to convert the best athlete on the team to QB.  But hey, forget winning HS football games....it makes for  a great story.  

8 minutes ago, Floridatechfootball said:

Four years agoo Treasure Coast had two female kickers they was iight tho they made the two extra pts

Two???

Two on the same team....What are the chances?

Coincidence or makes for a great story?

I assume one of them was the starter?

I don't know of many big schools that keep more than 2 legit Kickers on the Varsity team.  More than that are usually cut or put on JV.   Did Treasure Coast Varsity just like to collect Kickers for fun that year or was it a great way to make the news?

11 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

She had legit stats. No problem with this. But in the case of Hollywood Hills, the video on the QB is scary in a bad way. She does not belong on the field at QB and could easily get hurt.

3 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

Now we are talking about  a entire different angle to the game....

98% PATs is great.  That criteria is "all-state" qualified indeed.  However....  What is her range on Kickoffs?   

Is she was All-State, I assume she had a lot of Touchbacks as well?  

52 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Now we are talking about  a entire different angle to the game....

98% PATs is great.  That criteria is "all-state" qualified indeed.  However....  What is her range on Kickoffs?   

Is she was All-State, I assume she had a lot of Touchbacks as well?  

I think i remember hearing something about their being a female kicker on one of teams we played, either last year or 2015

May have been bolles but not positive

@gatorman-uf how long she been kicker at bolles? 

Edit: i just read article and answered my own question 

Calm , collected and awesome form on FGs and PATs. However....You would like your varsity Kicker to get the ball at least inside the 25 consistently ..... Like I said All-State level  Kickers kick generally can kick touch-backs at least 50% of the time in most classes in FL but I got no problem calling 98% PAT All-State caliber. But the true characteristic in Kickers that recruiters generally look for is leg strength.  She can hold her with the best in the state with PAT% but her leg strength is Varsity average at best.

For comparison's sake in the Jax area, check out 5A All-State Chris Howard out of Ponte Vedra who had 52 touchbacks in 2016:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5506179/chris-howard

Although her leg may not be strong enough to play in college, I would still say because of her sound technique she probably has close to 45 yard range on a good day which is still impressive for High School.   I won't lie though....  I'd take her on my HS team - kicking PATs and FGs inside 35 yards all day.....I would just believe I could find a stronger leg on Kickoffs off of the Varsity Soccer team.

43 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Calm , collected and awesome form on FGs and PATs. However....You would like your varsity Kicker to get the ball at least inside the 25 consistently ..... Like I said All-State level  Kickers kick generally can kick touch-backs at least 50% of the time in most classes in FL but I got no problem calling 98% PAT All-State caliber. But the true characteristic in Kickers that recruiters generally look for is leg strength.  She can hold her with the best in the state with PAT% but her leg strength is Varsity average at best.

For comparison's sake in the Jax area, check out 5A All-State Chris Howard out of Ponte Vedra who had 52 touchbacks in 2016:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5506179/chris-howard

Although her leg may not be strong enough to play in college, I would still say because of her sound technique she probably has close to 45 yard range on a good day which is still impressive for High School.   I won't lie though....  I'd take her on my HS team - kicking PATs and FGs inside 35 yards all day.....I would just believe I could find a stronger leg on Kickoffs off of the Varsity Soccer team.

Our best kicker in the Rick Darlington era hit 100% of his PATs his senior year and above 75% of his three pointers including two from 45 yards or longer. He kickoffs were touch backs about 50% of the time. He was still second best to the Cypress Back kicker in the 2012 state title game. I believe that kid had close to 100% touch backs that year. 

The DP kicker in 2010 (when they lost to Miami Central) also came close to 100% touch backs and hit two 50 yard field goals with another hitting the left upright. And, Olympia had a kicker several years ago that also had amazing range.

With that said, I would be satisfied with a kid that can put the ball in the end zone close to 50% of the time and who can hit the PATs 90+ percent and field goals inside the 40 at least 70% of the time. For unless you have great special teams coaches or the kid has gotten a lot of private instruction, you are usually not going to get much better than that in high school. 

4 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Our best kicker in the Rick Darlington era hit 100% of his PATs his senior year and above 75% of his three pointers including two from 45 yards or longer. He kickoffs were touch backs about 50% of the time. He was still second best to the Cypress Back kicker in the 2012 state title game. I believe that kid had close to 100% touch backs that year. 

The DP kicker in 2010 (when they lost to Miami Central) also came close to 100% touch backs and hit two 50 yard field goals with another hitting the left upright. And, Olympia had a kicker several years ago that also had amazing range.

With that said, I would be satisfied with a kid that can put the ball in the end zone close to 50% of the time and who can hit the PATs 90+ percent and field goals inside the 40 at least 70% of the time. For unless you have great special teams coaches or the kid has gotten a lot of private instruction, you are usually not going to get much better than that. 

Agree with this DarterBlue2... From what I have seen the Kicking game/Special Teams in FL HS Football has probably quietly evolved and improved quietly over the last 25 years - perhaps more than any other aspect of the HS game....

A lot more of Punter, Kicker and Longsnapper camps around FL and nationally that these kids are attending over the summers now.   

20 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Agree with this DarterBlue2... From what I have seen the Kicking game/Special Teams in FL HS Football has probably quietly evolved and improved quietly over the last 25 years - perhaps more than any other aspect of the HS game....

A lot more of Punter, Kicker and Longsnapper camps around FL and nationally that these kids are attending over the summers now.   

I have seen remarkable improvement in the kicking game at a number of the so called "inner city schools." Central in particular has had a number of very good kickers over the last 8 or so years. 

I remember in the early 2000s when Pahokee missed six or seven extra points in a row in a dominating win over Pensacola Catholic in the state title game. Stuff like that does not happen much anymore.

Oh Pahokee has got a gunner Kicker right now.  Hidden gem.  He is a 2018 and if his grades are in check , he will likely be a college level Kicker.  I was fortunate to catch him versus Boca Raton last year and he has to be arguably one of the top 1A Kickers out there.  I expect to see some big numbers from 2018 Ezekiel "Cheke" Hernandez this fall. 

Good quick read on him below from his Sophomore season in 2015:

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/10/9494151/high-school-sophomore-kicker-61-yard-field-goal

7 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Oh Pahokee has got a gunner Kicker right now.  Hidden gem.  He is a 2018 and if his grades are in check , he will likely be a college level Kicker.  I was fortunate to catch him versus Boca Raton last year and he has to be arguably one of the top 1A Kickers out there.  I expect to see some big numbers from 2018 Ezekiel "Cheke" Hernandez this fall. 

Good quick read on him below from his Sophomore season in 2015:

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/10/9494151/high-school-sophomore-kicker-61-yard-field-goal

He should do. Good against Vero