Class 3A thoughts- Change is in the air

SPCjessica2004

When I post thoughts and my personal rankings it usually take me until week 5 to understand the current football season. I admit that until then I often use 2016 results to validate thoughts, but I've now seen via stream all of the major contenders for 3A. So, here's my updated top 5 at the halfway point:

1) Chaminade-Madonna (1-2).  Yes, the Lions have two blowout losses to American Heritage and Miami Central; however, this is still the best team in 3A although I don't believe the gap is as big as once thought. I think there are challenges that have emerged to compete with the Lions.

2) Oxbridge Academy (2-1). Oxbridge has had to ride a stormy offseason and then the season opening loss in heartbreaking fashion to Archbishop Wood. Since then, the Thunderwolves have decimated everything in their path.

3) Clearwater Central Catholic (4-0). The Marauders struggled in the first quarter against a surprisingly solid 6A Northeast team; however, scored 57 points in the last 3 quarters.

4) Melbourne Central Catholic (2-1). The Hustlers rallied late to force overtime and eventually win 31-28 against a solid Tampa Catholic. MCC's starting QB Joaquin Collazo missed the game.

5) Lakeland Christian (4-0). Needed to hold off a pesky Orlando Christian Prep team, but it was their second game in 5 days as the Vikings upset Berkeley Prep last Monday in a classic game.

On my radar: Taylor County (3-1), Orlando The First Academy (4-0), Sarasota Cardinal Mooney (4-0)

Some notes.

I jumped CCC ever so slightly ahead of MCC based on the common opponent Tampa Catholic.  MCC beat Tampa Catholic 31-28 in overtime without their starting QBm Joaquin Collazo. CCC beat Tampa Catholic 25-0 without their top WR, Brett Seither. While we can argue the schematics of MCC missing their starting QB and how the offense may of ended the game earlier than OT (the kid is a Class 3A PoY candidate) the fact is MCC gave up 28 points and close to 350 yards total offense to TC.  CCC limited TC to about 150 yards and 0 points.    The reality is, these teams are evenly matched that they should be tied, but when I tied them at #2 earlier this year it caused a firestorm so I had to break the tie, up until this week I gave MCC the nod, now I'm giving CCC the nod based on the common opponent.

I said at the beginning of the year I would not consider dropping Chaminade from #1 unless 2 things happened 1) They had 3 blowout losses and 2) The team I moved ahead of them was playing better football. Chaminade has 2 blowout losses, but I think they're a score better than Booker T thus I do not see a third loss on their schedule.

Lakeland Christian is a very solid team, but to this point in the year they have the weakest Strength of Schedule. The win over Berkeley Prep was much needed, but the only team they play from here on out of interest is Orlando Lake Highland Prep; still, Danny Williams and company are doing a great job with the task at hand.

Sarasota Cardinal Mooney is really playing some quality football. While they haven't had the toughest schedule they are clearly capable of doing good against more talented teams. Their HC was the old OC at Don Bosco Prep in NJ and their offense has been solid this year.

Taylor County vs Dixie County will be a fun matchup between two strong, hard-hitting programs. I would love some analysis by people more familiar with the northern part of the state.

What's going on at Ocala Trinity Catholic? The Celtics only scored 3 points against Dunellon, should really be more stout. On paper, this is a solid team. While I'm not saying the Celtics are out of the playoff hunt, their region Class 3A Region 3 is the most competitive region in 3A and has some heavy hitters.

Calvary Christian of Clearwater suffered their first loss of the year to Orlando The First Academy. Calvary started off 2-0, but now faces a tough strength of 3 games that would open the door for the above mentioned Ocala Trinity to get into the playoffs. First Academy is quietly having a strong season.

Tampa Catholic and Berkeley Prep play each other on Berkeley Prep's field this Thursday in what should be a classic game. Due to the dominance of CCC and the strong seasons Lakeland Christian and Cardinal Mooney have put together, the loser of the TC vs BP game is likely out of the playoffs.

Dixie County might be a surprise threat to Madison this year and so far has dominated their games,  that game will say a lot about both teams 

I'm not sure with Trinity Catholic i thought they would be good this year 

Here my current Top 6 for 3a

1 Oxbridge Academy 
2 Chaminade Madonna 
3 Melbourne Central Catholic 
4 Clearwater Central Catholic 
5 Tampa Catholic
6 Lakeland Christian

While i feel Chaminade is more talented overall i feel oxbridge has been on fire so far 

Lakeland Christian looks good but I'm wanting to see a little more before bumping them into top 5 (or Tampa Catholic continuing to struggle)

Columbia,

Thanks for the 411 on Dixie! I'll keep and eye on that result. I debated taking Oxbridge at #1 for about 2 seconds, at the end of the day I don't think they would do any better than what Chaminade did against Central and American Heritage.  Now, if Chaminade is blown out by Booker T it's a new discussion, but I'll take Chaminade by 3 over Booker.

As mentioned above, MCC and CCC should really be tied, those two teams are mirror imagines of each other.

I have a hard time ranking a 2 loss TC team over an undefeated LCS team for the simple fact that LCS has a solid win over Berkeley Prep; however, I totally understand the logic of waiting for TC vs Berkeley Prep this Thursday to let it work itself out. It's ashame that TC and LCS don't play this year.

4 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Dixie County might be a surprise threat to Madison this year and so far has dominated their games,  that game will say a lot about both teams 

I'm not sure with Trinity Catholic i thought they would be good this year 

Here my current Top 6 for 3a

1 Oxbridge Academy 
2 Chaminade Madonna 
3 Melbourne Central Catholic 
4 Clearwater Central Catholic 
5 Tampa Catholic
6 Lakeland Christian

While i feel Chaminade is more talented overall i feel oxbridge has been on fire so far 

Lakeland Christian looks good but I'm wanting to see a little more before bumping them into top 5 (or Tampa Catholic continuing to struggle)

I have been very remiss to accept the fact that, after two terrible seasons and the continuation of terrible into this season, the coaching staff is probably the problem. We have had 4 games so far including the KO Classic. We have scored exactly one TD. Yes, we have solid players. But, something is truly not right in the direction of those players. When this coaching staff took over in 2015 they completely changed the philosophy of the team. They also changed formations and most plays, from what Trinity had for years, to a totally different concept. I also believe that this year they once again changed offensive formations to something completely new. I honestly think that this team is now totally confused. I would truly hope that the coaching staff could right themselves fairly soon. But, I would not be completely surprised if they were not around come the first of the year.

I believe Chaminade is a little banged up right now.  I believe their QB got injured in the Miramar game and they had a FR  RB out there to finish the game.  FR started and played the whole game versus AHP if I am not mistaken.

3A out of Palm Beach

Oxbridge Academy - obviously on a roll right now.  QB is really maturing and playing confident right now.

Kings Academy-  They are severely under the radar right now. Big test versus a hot 4A Gulliver Prep next wkd.

Cardinal Newman - lost several top players this summer transferring out but they continue to impress this year.

AHD - got their QB and another top player back last week....got back on track with a 14-0 win over Archbishop McCarthy.  

Benjamin -  2-1 ...Solid team, will probably have to win out to see November. Final game versus Kings Academy.

I'm holding off on bangin the drum for Oxbridge,  and still lookin at Chaminade as the big dog in this year's hunt - CM had too much post-Irma rust, back on their heals early, and they were just gassed - a far better team than they showed against AHP.  .Oxbridge again lost good players,  both to injury and whatnot,  and am thinkin they don't have the depth to go deep again this year.  Especially on the lines.  They need every weapon possible, and their kicking game and D against the run both need work too.  With a roster of primarily upperclassmen, believe this year may be their last really competitive FB season since they seem to recently shift all heavy emphasis on academics.

This week's Glades Central-Oxbridge game will show a lot about their run in 3A this year.  Worth a trip to see that.

Not counting AHD down,  just yet,  but they have a ways to go.   Long road trip to Pensacola catholic this week.

On the edges;

Kings - fun team to watch, improving each week,  only gonna get better .... next year.  

Newman - fearless, scrappy, good team chemistry, no-quit attitude, seem to find a way to win.  Coach has found ways to do much with little.  Oct games vs Pahokee and Glades Central will reveal their real character.

Benjamin - talented, good execution, well-coached, still building.

Don't have eyes on other central and N. FL 3A teams so I can't say.

In my general "underdog category" - am pullin for Inlet Grove at Scheck-Hillel this week.  the IG hurricanes gonna win a game one of these years.  

52 minutes ago, mbhs69 said:

I'm holding off on bangin the drum for Oxbridge,  and still lookin at Chaminade as the big dog in this year's hunt - CM had too much post-Irma rust, back on their heals early, and they were just gassed - a far better team than they showed against AHP.  .Oxbridge again lost good players,  both to injury and whatnot,  and am thinkin they don't have the depth to go deep again this year.  Especially on the lines.  They need every weapon possible, and their kicking game and D against the run both need work too.  With a roster of primarily upperclassmen, believe this year may be their last really competitive FB season since they seem to recently shift all heavy emphasis on academics.

This week's Glades Central-Oxbridge game will show a lot about their run in 3A this year.  Worth a trip to see that.

Not counting AHD down,  just yet,  but they have a ways to go.   Long road trip to Pensacola catholic this week.

On the edges;

Kings - fun team to watch, improving each week,  only gonna get better .... next year.  

Newman - fearless, scrappy, good team chemistry, no-quit attitude, seem to find a way to win.  Coach has found ways to do much with little.  Oct games vs Pahokee and Glades Central will reveal their real character.

Benjamin - talented, good execution, well-coached, still building.

Don't have eyes on other central and N. FL 3A teams so I can't say.

In my general "underdog category" - am pullin for Inlet Grove at Scheck-Hillel this week.  the IG hurricanes gonna win a game one of these years.  

Saw Inlet Grove last year and I think they probably could have possibly been a bit better with stronger coaching, plus they looked young.  Based on the scores this year, Inlet Grove looks a tad improved :unsure:    .  I also hope they get W this week versus Scheck-Hillel . 2013 - 2017 Inlet Grove only has 2 wins.... I like the their chances and don't see them having much chance versus Jupiter Christian, @ Glades Day,  and Suncoast.

The AP Poll hasn't been updated in a few weeks; however, here is the latest along with some feedback:

Class 3A
Record Pts Prv

1. Oxbridge Academy (8) 2-1 98 2
2. Chaminade-Madonna College Prep (1) 1-2 87 1
3. Melbourne Central Catholic 1-1 79
4. Clearwater Central Catholic (1) 4-0 74 4
5. Lakeland Christian 2-0 32 NR 
Others receiving votes: First Academy-Orlando 12, Delray American Heritage 12, Cardinal Mooney 6.

Oxbridge jumped Chaminade-Madonna for the #1 spot. This is interesting, before the season began many people (myself included) felt that Chaminade was a top 50 team in America and could be a top 25 team by the years end. I think what's hurting Chaminade isn't that they lost to American Heritage and Miami Central, it's that they were destroyed by both teams and had to rally to beat Miramar.  In the end pollsters like a winner. 

I don't believe Oxbridge would do any better against Miami Central or American Heritage; however, they did beat Flanagan by 60+. I think Chaminade will do the same to Flanagan in a few weeks. Overall, I don't have a problem with Oxbridge jumping Chaminade, but it's too soon for the Lions not to be #1.

MCC and CCC are essentially tied which is fine by me; however, I find it curious that CCC is #4 and MCC is #3, especially since CCC has played 2 more games and has a first place vote. MCC plays Liberty this week and then has 2 very tough games, home against Bishop Moore and then they hit the road to play national powerhouse Fort Hill in Maryland. CCC hosts rival St. Pete Catholic and then hits the road against a very good 5A Rockledge team. Rockledge may not be getting love from the AP in 5A; however, all of the computer polls have the Raiders as a top 10 5A team. The game that everybody wants to see and will probably bring in 2000 or more fans is CCC at Calvary Christian. I can't imagine this game won't be televised and a sellout, standing room only. I'll be getting my tickets early to that one! That game will take place on 10/13.

I have Lakeland Christian as #5 in my poll and the AP Poll has them at 5 as well.  The only knock I have against LCS is their Strength of Schedule is lackluster. They have a really good game at the end of the year against Lake Highland Prep who has proven to be very solid this season, but up until then- I don't see the heavy hitters outside of a competitive, but not what they were 10 years ago Ft. Meade and Frostproof team.

I think the Other Receiving Votes area is VERY interesting. First Academy is undefeated and playing very good football, American Heritage has turned it as they welcome back a few players from injury and Sarasota Cardinal Mooney is quickly showing they're a darkhorse in 3A Region 3.

I've received E-Mails and read on these message boards that there are two teams to keep an eye out for: King's Academy and Taylor (Perry).  King's Academy is most likely being overshadowed due to the region they're in. Chaminade is such a heavy draw that a team has to really be something special to get people talking about somebody other than them. Still, King's is clearly doing something right and deserves some votes and should be pushing for a top 5 spot by week 8 if they keep winning.

2 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

The AP Poll hasn't been updated in a few weeks; however, here is the latest along with some feedback:

Class 3A
Record Pts Prv

1. Oxbridge Academy (8) 2-1 98 2
2. Chaminade-Madonna College Prep (1) 1-2 87 1
3. Melbourne Central Catholic 1-1 79
4. Clearwater Central Catholic (1) 4-0 74 4
5. Lakeland Christian 2-0 32 NR 
Others receiving votes: First Academy-Orlando 12, Delray American Heritage 12, Cardinal Mooney 6.

Oxbridge jumped Chaminade-Madonna for the #1 spot. This is interesting, before the season began many people (myself included) felt that Chaminade was a top 50 team in America and could be a top 25 team by the years end. I think what's hurting Chaminade isn't that they lost to American Heritage and Miami Central, it's that they were destroyed by both teams and had to rally to beat Miramar.  In the end pollsters like a winner. 

I don't believe Oxbridge would do any better against Miami Central or American Heritage; however, they did beat Flanagan by 60+. I think Chaminade will do the same to Flanagan in a few weeks. Overall, I don't have a problem with Oxbridge jumping Chaminade, but it's too soon for the Lions not to be #1.

MCC and CCC are essentially tied which is fine by me; however, I find it curious that CCC is #4 and MCC is #3, especially since CCC has played 2 more games and has a first place vote. MCC plays Liberty this week and then has 2 very tough games, home against Bishop Moore and then they hit the road to play national powerhouse Fort Hill in Maryland. CCC hosts rival St. Pete Catholic and then hits the road against a very good 5A Rockledge team. Rockledge may not be getting love from the AP in 5A; however, all of the computer polls have the Raiders as a top 10 5A team. The game that everybody wants to see and will probably bring in 2000 or more fans is CCC at Calvary Christian. I can't imagine this game won't be televised and a sellout, standing room only. I'll be getting my tickets early to that one! That game will take place on 10/13.

I have Lakeland Christian as #5 in my poll and the AP Poll has them at 5 as well.  The only knock I have against LCS is their Strength of Schedule is lackluster. They have a really good game at the end of the year against Lake Highland Prep who has proven to be very solid this season, but up until then- I don't see the heavy hitters outside of a competitive, but not what they were 10 years ago Ft. Meade and Frostproof team.

I think the Other Receiving Votes area is VERY interesting. First Academy is undefeated and playing very good football, American Heritage has turned it as they welcome back a few players from injury and Sarasota Cardinal Mooney is quickly showing they're a darkhorse in 3A Region 3.

I've received E-Mails and read on these message boards that there are two teams to keep an eye out for: King's Academy and Taylor (Perry).  King's Academy is most likely being overshadowed due to the region they're in. Chaminade is such a heavy draw that a team has to really be something special to get people talking about somebody other than them. Still, King's is clearly doing something right and deserves some votes and should be pushing for a top 5 spot by week 8 if they keep winning.

The OC for CM quit or was fired this week. I hear it is a very bad situation over there right now.

1 hour ago, SFL SPY said:

The OC for CM quit or was fired this week. I hear it is a very bad situation over there right now.

SFL Spy, 

My understanding was that the OC was Coach Jones himself. I'm aware they lost their DB's coach prior the start of the season to AHD. Hope the Lions can pull it together, they have a big one in 2 weeks vs Booker T.

22 minutes ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

SFL Spy, 

My understanding was that the OC was Coach Jones himself. I'm aware they lost their DB's coach prior the start of the season to AHD. Hope the Lions can pull it together, they have a big one in 2 weeks vs Booker T.

Coach Jones doesn't do much and he def doesn't call any plays. I was told he is more of a figure-head HC and relies on his assistants to do the coaching. I was also told by a very reliable source that the RB coach will now call the plays with zero experience.

CM lost a few coaches after last season mostly on the defensive side. One to AHD,  two to USchool.

Too much talent to not make it to the semi-finals but they will lose to CCC or Oxbridge in the finals. Assuming they make the playoffs.

Well, one game in and Chaminade put up 54 on Piper. I was told that Piper isn't a very good team, but a 54-0 win should relieve some stress as the Lions prepare for Booker T.

Tampa Catholic knocked off Berkeley Prep 17-13 after being down most of the 2nd half.

Oxbridge 31, Glades Central 0.   Oxbridge is really impressive the past few weeks.

On 9/23/2017 at 8:22 PM, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Agreed.  Chaminade is super talented, but on Offense they are stale.   Not close to as good on D as they should be either.    Seems like if they overpower you they score off the charts, but against a team on their level they seem lost.  

I'd probably favor Oxbridge a bit as well.   

5 hours ago, 954gator said:

Agreed.  Chaminade is super talented, but on Offense they are stale.   Not close to as good on D as they should be either.    Seems like if they overpower you they score off the charts, but against a team on their level they seem lost.  

I'd probably favor Oxbridge a bit as well.   

Offense appears to have worked out some kinks last  tonight.  It was versus Piper, but 58-0 will shake off some rust...

Chaminade beat a underperforming Piper team, but scoring 58 is impressive against anybody. My favorite part was that the CM QB/WR coach was tweeting live updates, instead of, you know, coaching his QB and WR's.

Oxbridge beat a Glades Central team that doesn't resemble anything of their former glory years, maybe young?

Chaminade plays Blanche Ely on Monday, another game where Nade can score 50+.  Should allow Chaminade to get above .500 before having 12 days to prepare for Booker T.  

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

Chaminade beat a underperforming Piper team, but scoring 58 is impressive against anybody. My favorite part was that the CM QB/WR coach was tweeting live updates, instead of, you know, coaching his QB and WR's.

Oxbridge beat a Glades Central team that doesn't resemble anything of their former glory years, maybe young?

Chaminade plays Blanche Ely on Monday, another game where Nade can score 50+.  Should allow Chaminade to get above .500 before having 12 days to prepare for Booker T.  

Live tweets?!? wow

are you serious?

1 hour ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

If he more worried about twitter then coaching then that not good at all

I received a message from a Chaminade fan asking me to project Chaminade's point total at the end of the year- in essence, what the young Lion doesn't know is he asked me to project Chaminade opponent records. Not one to duck a request- I got my brother to write numbers down and here's what we came up with after looking at the FHSAA master schedule. Keep in mind these are just guesses for conversation sakes on a message board, nothing more!

I have the following anticipated point distributions for Chaminade as my prediction:

Chaminade:
Central:                       33 points *    (Cat 1 loss)
Miramar:                      45 points      (Cat 2 win)
American Heritage:   33 points *    (Cat 1 loss)
Piper:                             38 points *  (Cat 4 win)
Ely:                                38 points *   (Cat 4 win)
Booker T:                      28 points*   (Cat 2 loss)
Doral:                           48 points*    (Cat 3 win)
Flanagan:                    38 points*     (Cat 4 win)
Uschool:                     53 points*     (Cat 1 win)
---------------------------------------------
Total Points: 354

Divisor of 9
Total:    39.33

* indicated +3 bonus points for making playoffs in past 2 years.

This distribution assumes that Chaminade finishes 6-3 with a loss to Booker T and that Booker T finishes as a category 2 team. It also assumes that Uschool's only loss is to Chaminade. It also assumes that Doral Academy's only other loss is to Chaminade.  Overall, I feel that's a good projection as after examining Chaminade's schedule they play teams that are either really, really good or really, really bad- very little in between outside of Miramar who we feel will finish as a category 2 team.

4 hours ago, SPCjessica2004 said:

It depends who you ask.  There are a couple Muck guys on here that call it like they see it and there are a few that continue to believe all Glades Central losses are simply flukes or just need some "adjustments" to get going....

To me Glades Central should beat Lake Worth next week and after that they may struggle to win another game with Boynton Beach, AHD, Cardinal Newman and Pahokee on deck.

5 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

It depends who you ask.  There are a couple Muck guys on here that call it like they see it and there are a few that continue to believe all Glades Central losses are simply flukes or just need some "adjustments" to get going....

To me Glades Central should beat Lake Worth next week and after that they may struggle to win another game with Boynton Beach, AHD, Cardinal Newman and Pahokee on deck.

They a solid team but not at past level 

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

From what I've seen of Newman and GC, I believe Newman has the best chance of beating GC a week prior to the Muck Bowl.  It's @ Newman on their senior night.  GC best not be even thinkin about the Muck bowl at all, cause Newman is a hungry, scrappy team who executes well, and goes to the wire.  I see Newman as a spoiler for someone in 3A.   

Next - Pahokee at Newman this Monday

Even though Newman lost a few of their top players (I believe 1 or 2 to GC actually), do you feel this  Newman team is will be better then last year?

I saw them play CM in the playoffs last year and it was not pretty.  They looked well coached but were extremely overwhelmed with speed and what appeared to be a young team as well.

Do you feel Newman is as strong as Kings Academy or how many points behind on a neutral field?

Well, miracles sometimes happen, my team actually defeated someone. They beat South Sumter on their field  21-0. Of course, though, South Sumter may have their worst team in quite a few years. Anyway, we'll take the win and possibly build on it. We have IMG Blue or white or neutral coming into town next Friday. Even though they are certainly not the IMG Varsity, they are still professionally trained. Maybe the win at Sumter will motivate this team to be the team they have promise to be. No excuses but our starting QB, King Redd, has been out for two games.