Florida gators

DisabledAccount

33 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Whats everyone's thoughts on the potential felony charges that could be coming for several players on the Florida gators 

I haven't fully read into it yet but am curious what you all felt about it 

I think East Mississippi Community College is about to get a whole hellava lot better for 2018.

Obviously there is something to it,  I guess we will know more after the States Attorney makes a decision.  It seems to me that the University Police Dept really seems to fight crime within the football program.  Seems like there is a lot more action with University PD than with GPD or Alachua County.   I don't see a lot of other universities police making so many arrests on players.  I don't know if there isn't a bigger focus because of the things that were going on under Meyer or what.  It seems like players at other schools don't get arrested without video evidence from 5 different angles.  I am not saying these guys are innocent but University PD has seemed to keep an extra close watch on the Football team.

Probably not. I think this will go internal for the most part, with public announcements when questioned. All the codes were broken in the institution so the GPD will likely stay out of it. The NCAA could very well pursue this and pass judgement on UF, but I really don't feel like it will affect future scholarships, more than likely suspensions and a social work punishment.

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Probably not. I think this will go internal for the most part, with public announcements when questioned. All the codes were broken in the institution so the GPD will likely stay out of it. The NCAA could very well pursue this and pass judgement on UF, but I really don't feel like it will affect future scholarships, more than likely suspensions and a social work punishment.

Man the chief of police in Gville is a Tuscaloosa alum.   This could get ugly.   Good thing Malik Davis looks legit. 

Last I read, several weeks ago, it was just a campus thing. Now it seems it has gone off campus and is a lot more serious than when first announced.

This will get ugly. What the F were the players thinking, peoples credit cards are free game?  Pack your tooth brushes boys, you're in for the ride of your life.

UF you got to recruit smarter players... 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/25/florida-gators-suspended-players-fraud-police-report

1 hour ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Last I read, several weeks ago, it was just a campus thing. Now it seems it has gone off campus and is a lot more serious than when first announced.

This will get ugly. What the F were the players thinking, peoples credit cards are free game?  Pack your tooth brushes boys, you're in for the ride of your life.

UF you got to recruit smarter players... 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/25/florida-gators-suspended-players-fraud-police-report

Florida recruits stars and pray they actually live up to the hype

14 minutes ago, Pipe Dreams said:

I don't think there is liability on the part of UF. They most likely have the same procedures as other athletic departments... they can't control criminal behavior by individuals.

If this was a continuing issue, maybe, but it seems like a one-time deal.

But it has been continuous, this isn't first time Florida has had players get in trouble recently 

Maybe if NCAA find a way to give these kids spending money, things like this might not happen. Wrong is wrong. Im not giving them a pass. But this situation, the situation at Ohio State, even Reggie Bush situation may not occure if these kids are given more than just tuition and books.  It just come out Ohio state net worth is $1.5 bil, Florida net is $682 mil. Pretty sure they could come up with some kind of profit share and distribution to all fbs players.

8 minutes ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

There given a free education and chance to play college ball what else are they owed if you need extra money go out get a job like the rest nothing is owed to them.

Ncaa rules prevent them from being allowed to get a job

Doing so is a NCAA violation for athletes

2 hours ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Ncaa rules prevent them from being allowed to get a job

Doing so is a NCAA violation for athletes

That is incorrect. They are allowed to make limited income which is usually on campus jobs that they never need to show up for.  -- Been there, done that.

Pell grants are also 4 - 5,000 pretty good pocket change they you can take on top of your full scholarship.  If you make a bowl you are getting at least 500 in gift cards.

Life is not so bad being on a full ride at a SEC school...

1 hour ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

That is incorrect. They are allowed to make limited income which is usually on campus jobs that they never need to show up for.  -- Been there, done that.

Pell grants are also 4 - 5,000 pretty good pocket change they you can take on top of your full scholarship.  If you make a bowl you are getting at least 500 in gift cards.

Life is not so bad being on a full ride at a SEC school...

I thought there was a rule against them having jobs 

22 hours ago, FORTWHITEFAN76 said:

There given a free education and chance to play college ball what else are they owed if you need extra money go out get a job like the rest nothing is owed to them.

Also their daily schedules are so full because of football. How many hours in a week would they be able to work anyway? Every kid situation is different. Some need more than others. Some need to help their homes. But due to NCAA rules they are not allowed to do things that other students, who may also get a free education, are able to do. Many students dont qualify for pell grant. These kids arent given a chance to play, they have earned the chance to play college ball. 

2 hours ago, blackmagic said:

Also their daily schedules are so full because of football. How many hours in a week would they be able to work anyway? Every kid situation is different. Some need more than others. Some need to help their homes. But due to NCAA rules they are not allowed to do things that other students, who may also get a free education, are able to do. Many students dont qualify for pell grant. These kids arent given a chance to play, they have earned the chance to play college ball. 

Here are some numbers from the best and most prominent NCAA team in the nation in recent years and several others smaller schools in the state. 

I don't have numbers for the state of Florida but these numbers are pretty astounding:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/pell_grants_for_players_divisi.html

I will say this, back in 90s they were handing these out like candy to D1 athletes.  Seems like there have been reductions .  But if I am a student athlete with all of my room , board , food , power, clothing and shoes paid for and you hand me 5,700  for 10 months, that equates to near 600 dollars a month pocket change for free.  Not a bad deal IMO.

I don't believe student-athletes should be paid one penny outside of what they get now.  I personally just believe allow them to attempt go out and compete for a job once they turn 16 - just like anybody else in any other profession.  I am not buying the NCAA BS they feed us when we all know 85% of the marketing and revenue with NCAA sports is basketball and football.  Those are coincidentally the players that are locked down to turn pro.  

The NCAA never seems to care when a 18 year old baseball player or golfer decides to turn pro :unsure:

32 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Here are some numbers from the best and most prominent NCAA team in the nation in recent years and several others smaller schools in the state. 

I don't have numbers for the state of Florida but these numbers are pretty astounding:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/pell_grants_for_players_divisi.html

I will say this, back in 90s they were handing these out like candy to D1 athletes.  Seems like there have been reductions .  But if I am a student athlete with all of my room , board , food , power, clothing and shoes paid for and you hand me 5,700  for 10 months, that equates to near 600 dollars a month pocket change for free.  Not a bad deal IMO.

I don't believe student-athletes should be paid one penny outside of what they get now.  I personally just believe allow them to attempt go out and compete for a job once they turn 16 - just like anybody else in any other profession.  I am not buying the NCAA BS they feed us when we all know 85% of the marketing and revenue with NCAA sports is basketball and football.  Those are coincidentally the players that are locked down to turn pro.  

The NCAA never seems to care when a 18 year old baseball player or golfer decides to turn pro :unsure:

Why should the NCAA get money off these players 

If there is extra money it should go to schools not some waste of space like the NCAA administration