FINAL IMG 21 MNW 0

4 minutes ago, Sharkbait said:

IMG company story from their website:

Founded in 1960 with a single deal that would prove the advent of modern-day sports marketing, IMG is now a global leader in sports, events, media and fashion, operating in more than 30 countries. The company represents and manages some of the world’s greatest sports figures and fashion icons; stages hundreds of live events and branded entertainment experiences annually; and is one of the largest independent producers and distributors of sports media. IMG also specializes in sports training; league development; and marketing, media and licensing for brands, sports organizations and collegiate institutions. 

And that, in so many words, represents the difference between them and the Trinity Catholics, Trinity Christians, Bolles School, and St. Thomas Aquinas's of the world. It is not primarily an educational institution and there is the potential for all kinds of conflict of interests in what they do. 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

And that, in so many words, represents the difference between them and the Trinity Catholics, Trinity Christians, Bolles School, and St. Thomas Aquinas's of the world. It is not primarily an educational institution and there is the potential for all kinds of conflict of interests in what they do. 

To call them a high school football program is a gross misrepresentation of what they are.  I am fine with them being what they are but do not compare them to true high schools they are more of a club league.  If schools agree to play them fine but realize you are at a disadvantage and they may take your best players the next year.

IMG Academy has almost 1,000 students, campus spokesman Ryan Tronovitch said. While the facility is known for its athletics, Tronovitch said the educational program is sending more than 98 percent of the students to college.

$2 million, no explanation

IMG Academy was set to only get $50,000 this year. But in a late-night maneuver — just before midnight Monday, before the budget was printed — the academy’s funding jumped to $2,050,000 with no explanation. That goes with $7.3 million the state budgeted for the company in 2013 and 2014. This year’s budget — with the IMG funding — was a lock to pass on Friday when the Legislature met to close out its special session.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article24985186.html

4 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

IMG Academy has almost 1,000 students, campus spokesman Ryan Tronovitch said. While the facility is known for its athletics, Tronovitch said the educational program is sending more than 98 percent of the students to college.

IMG Academy was set to only get $50,000 this year. But in a late-night maneuver — just before midnight Monday, before the budget was printed — the academy’s funding jumped to $2,050,000 with no explanation. That goes with $7.3 million the state budgeted for the company in 2013 and 2014. This year’s budget — with the IMG funding — was a lock to pass on Friday when the Legislature met to close out its special session.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article24985186.html

If this is not the epitome of "crony capitalism", then I don't know what is. So there you have it. State taxpayer funds are at least partially funding the scholarships for talented kids to attend. 

Pretty amazing when we look at all the projects that really need funding and fail to get it.  

7 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

Okay I feel better knowing the state is funding them and they are going to be alright.  

19 minutes ago, Cat_Scratch said:

wow so basically the state is using our tax payers to ruin the sport but we still cant get better pay for coaches who work their a$$ off everyday of the week as well as teachers who work hours upon hours of overtime to try and better the education we get in this state that they say they don't have resources to support or schools struggling to get things that would help better the education process

but at same time they have the resources to support a academy with loads of money who are ruining the fabric of our high school sports

where's the consistency there??

1 minute ago, 941football said:

Back door late night politics.

I would much rather my taxes be used to support: Columbia, Venice, Miami Northwestern, Apopka, Cocoa, Fort Myers, Armwood, Dillard ... You get the picture.

I don't think a for Profit Corporation that does not significantly contribute to employment opportunities in the state should be handed my hard earned money.

9 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

I would much rather my taxes be used to support: Columbia, Venice, Miami Northwestern, Apopka, Cocoa, Fort Myers, Armwood, Dillard ... You get the picture.

I don't think a for Profit Corporation that does not significantly contribute to employment opportunities in the state should be handed my hard earned money.

I agree :P

I would not have thought IMG could get state tax dollars. When I first glanced at it sounded like a private donation. Then I go and read it again seems like the state funded school.

Something not quite right here.

Do private schools that have paid tuition get state tax dollars?

Normally, no. But the well connected with a bevy of lobbyists, often find a way. 

State tax dollars usually go to for profit corporations only when one of the following applies: 1. As an incentive to stay in or move to Florida when a lot of jobs are at stake; 2. For the provision of goods or services to the State (payment for services rendered). IMG's parent getting money is troubling to me, as I don't think either apply.

Couple of questions I have are:

How much does the head coach get paid versus the coaches he is playing? He doesn't have to teach a class we all know that. His day revolves around the game at hand.

How much does it cost to get these players, staff and equipment dragged around the country?

What do you think their budget is to operate vs a public school?

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Normally, no. But the well connected with a bevy of lobbyists, often find a way. 

State tax dollars usually go to for profit corporations only when one of the following applies: 1. As an incentive to stay in or move to Florida when a lot of jobs are at stake; 2. For the provision of goods or services to the State (payment for services rendered). IMG's parent getting money is troubling to me, as I don't think either apply.

they probably have connection at state level

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

As the article stated the lobbyist said they fill restaurants hotels and provide revenue  in the community

Couple of questions I have are:

How much does the head coach get paid versus the coaches he is playing? He doesn't have to teach a class we all know that. His day revolves around the game at hand.

How much does it cost to get these players, staff and equipment dragged around the country?

What do you think their budget is to operate vs a public school?

well don't quote me on this but I think IMG staff is paid more on level of states like Georgia or texas but I cant remember where I saw the pay numbers, I think it was in some article a while back

Just now, 941football said:

As the article stated the lobbyist said they fill restaurants hotels and provide revenue  in the community

lake city brings in like a hundred restaurants already and we don't have a super rich academy lying around here LOL

guess we should build a few more hotels to get extra state funding for our team :P

Normally, the money goes only to companies that actually do the hiring. It is very easy to come up with the rationale that you "fill restaurants and hotels", but it is a lot harder to quantify the effect. Bottom line is: this company probably should not be getting taxpayer dollars. 

Just now, 941football said:

100K+ to coach in beautiful FL with all the bells and whistles. I can see why he likes it

well I cant confirm it but I think I remember seeing the number being pretty substantial 

definitely more then the average public school or even top level public in florida will provide  

plus I remember hearing they have anywhere from 5-10 athletic trainers there at IMG just for football and the money for that would probably be better then any other option in florida high school and better then some small colleges would offer