Playoff point system has major flaws

badbird

15 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Independent football right now is not very structured or healthy in SFL.  Pre- 2017 SFL had two Independent leagues that were very organized with a few decent teams and players competing.  Dillard now would not be able to find a competitive game right now as Independents.  Pre -2017 they would have been a top Independent team and a good shot at competing for a championships, league championships that is. 

Unless there are other teams jumping ship , it would make no sense IMO.

You don't think scouts know that Dillard is playing against elite competition during the season and in November?

Keep  in mind many of Dillard's top players and recruits are actually transfers to Dillard, so there has to be  reason that is attracting quality players to transfer to Dillard or they have a few good snake oil salesman out there...

So your telling me that right now not being competitive then going to a league where we would actually be the best & they won't be able to compete with us ?? lol I find that hard to believe Dillard has not been able to score not 1 point in the first half all season long and it's been 5 games if a team can't compete with that then sheesshhhh I believe it would be exciting for the fans to finally see Dillard winning a lot of games and going deep into the independent playoffs and possibly winning another title lol.

7 minutes ago, Dan in Daytona said:

An Independent Championship would be like a Participation Trophy. It's a piece of hardware, and it may put a smile on your face, but what did you accomplish whipping up on scrubs ? NOTHING ! 

It would be accomplishing finishing the season with the ring & knowing you came out on top & as far as beating up on scrubs ummm lol have u been watching lately Dillard & their play have been just that we started 0-3 & now 2-3 we would fare far better as a independent.

17 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

So your telling me that right now not being competitive then going to a league where we would actually be the best & they won't be able to compete with us ?? lol I find that hard to believe Dillard has not been able to score not 1 point in the first half all season long and it's been 5 games if a team can't compete with that then sheesshhhh I believe it would be exciting for the fans to finally see Dillard winning a lot of games and going deep into the independent playoffs and possibly winning another title lol.

Title is a very broad word I guess...But yes. This year Dillard would hold the trophy to the Florida Independent League in joy I guess over:

Coral Glades

Canyons Academy

Highlands Christian

Miami Christian

Scheck Hillel Community School

Pembroke Pines Charter

Sound like fun to you?

3 minutes ago, BrowardHandicapper said:

Title is a very broad word I guess...But yes. This year Dillard would hold the trophy to the Florida Independent League in joy I guess over:

Coral Glades

Canyons Academy

Highlands Christian

Miami Christian

Scheck Hillel Community School

Pembroke Pines Charter

Sound like fun to you?

Only two of those schools I ever heard of lol lmao shessshhhh is that all u would play regular season and playoffs ??!?

3 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

It would be accomplishing finishing the season with the ring & knowing you came out on top & as far as beating up on scrubs ummm lol have u been watching lately Dillard & their play have been just that we started 0-3 & now 2-3 we would fare far better as a independent.

I'm telling you , Dillard players would bail.  Players want to be seen and have highlights versus other big name teams and players.  It's not happening versus in that Independent league.

Back when Independents like North Broward Prep, Oxbridge Academy, Key West, Coral Springs Charter, Archbishop McCarthy, Calvary Christian were producing D1 talent a few years back , the Independents in SFL were solid.   

Those days are gone,  last year once a couple of those stronger Independents jumped to a classification they all did. 

4 hours ago, Floridatech said:

Wait is Vero hosting first and second rds

FloridaTech, 

If the playoffs started today, Vero would host Rounds 1-3, but we still have 5 weeks left until football is done and anything can happen. Additionally, Vero runs into the issue that their schedule is frontloaded. As of writing this, they have played a Category 1, 2 Category 2's, and a Category 3. The future for them is 1 category 2, 1 category 3, and 2 category 4 teams. This makes it that even if they win big over those 4 teams their average could still drop because the points they earn will be below their current average.

-----------------------
 I think the issue of bonus points for playoff teams will work itself out in the long run. Yes, right now playing Leon gives you 3 points because Leon made the playoffs in a 3 team district (same thing for Eastside High). In the long run, if a team played like Eastside or Leon did in the past, they won't make the playoffs in the new system. 

The problem I have with the system is that it depends entirely too much on how a team does when I have no control of how good they are from season to season. Look how quickly First Coast declined after from being a state runner-up to now. Or if you have a team that decides to take on a challenging schedule that they go 6-4 instead of 9-1, you end up with less points. It is one of the reasons why I don't have a problem with rewarding points for making the playoffs the previous season, you based your schedule how you saw teams doing. 

5 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

FloridaTech, 

If the playoffs started today, Vero would host Rounds 1-3, but we still have 5 weeks left until football is done and anything can happen. Additionally, Vero runs into the issue that their schedule is frontloaded. As of writing this, they have played a Category 1, 2 Category 2's, and a Category 3. The future for them is 1 category 2, 1 category 3, and 2 category 4 teams. This makes it that even if they win big over those 4 teams their average could still drop because the points they earn will be below their current average.

-----------------------
 I think the issue of bonus points for playoff teams will work itself out in the long run. Yes, right now playing Leon gives you 3 points because Leon made the playoffs in a 3 team district (same thing for Eastside High). In the long run, if a team played like Eastside or Leon did in the past, they won't make the playoffs in the new system. 

The problem I have with the system is that it depends entirely too much on how a team does when I have no control of how good they are from season to season. Look how quickly First Coast declined after from being a state runner-up to now. Or if you have a team that decides to take on a challenging schedule that they go 6-4 instead of 9-1, you end up with less points. It is one of the reasons why I don't have a problem with rewarding points for making the playoffs the previous season, you based your schedule how you saw teams doing. 

First Coast lost a lot to graduation and from what i heard they had coaching troubles but before talent covered it up but then when the talent graduated it was exposed 

3 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

First Coast lost a lot to graduation and from what i heard they had coaching troubles but before talent covered it up but then when the talent graduated it was exposed 

They also lost their best receiver to Trinity Christian. Kid almost single handidly beat Apopka. Good thing they did not have three of him.

Sigh, I really wonder where you get information or is your view so narrow that you just look at the last 3 years.
First Coast makes it to the playoffs for 10 straight years 2005-14 with the same coach for all 10 years and including 3 times into the regional championship and once more into the state finals. Columbia in the same time, makes it 7 times in those 10 years and only once to the regional finals. So is Columbia not making it during those years because of a lack of talent (which you continually say they have tons) of or lack of coaching?

For the love of god, please calm down on the homerism. There is a lot of good football being played in Florida and even against Columbia, you just never seem to notice it.

14 minutes ago, gatorman-uf said:

Sigh, I really wonder where you get information or is your view so narrow that you just look at the last 3 years.
First Coast makes it to the playoffs for 10 straight years 2005-14 with the same coach for all 10 years and including 3 times into the regional championship and once more into the state finals. Columbia in the same time, makes it 7 times in those 10 years and only once to the regional finals. So is Columbia not making it during those years because of a lack of talent (which you continually say they have tons) of or lack of coaching?

For the love of god, please calm down on the homerism. There is a lot of good football being played in Florida and even against Columbia, you just never seem to notice it.

I ain't looking at their record,  i heard that from people who watched them in 2015 and felt they had talent but coaching was hurting them that year 

18 hours ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

So we can win districts in this system and have to travel ? First round lol

Here you go Panther.

All district winners play at home 1st round and are seeded #1 through #4 (by season seeding points) 

Dillard wins district and is seeded # 3. All teams seeded #4 - #8 go to Dillard EVERY GAME until Semi's( Round 4 )

Their(Dillard) 1st round game is against # 6 at DILLARD, let's say its Miami Carol City the 2nd wild card from District 16. You win game.

2nd round you play the winner of #7(wildcard) at #2( district 14 winner ). #7 wins they go to You, DILLARD. #2 win you go THERE

If Dillard is the # 3 seed they only "go" to seed #1 or seed #2.  

1st Round

#8 at #1,  #5 at #4, both winners play Round 2

#7 at #2, #6 at #3, both winners play Round 2

3rd Round

#1,4,5,8 winner plays #2,3,6,7 winner

4th Round

Region winner vs. Region winner

Region winner vs, Region winner

5th Round

ORLANDO

10 hours ago, gatorman-uf said:

FloridaTech, 

-----------------------

I'm sorry im still trying to figure out this system

4 hours ago, Floridatech said:

I'm sorry im still trying to figure out this system

Classes 5-8 have 4 Regions. 

Each Region will have 4 District Champions, and 4 wildcards(8 teams). 

All District winners play at home 1st Round and are guaranteed seeds 1-4, wildcards 5-8

Round 2 and Round 3, All lower seeds travel to upper seeds. Meaning a #1 seed plays at home the first three rounds. A #2 seed only has to travel if it plays a #1.

2 hours ago, Dan in Daytona said:

Classes 5-8 have 4 Regions. 

Each Region will have 4 District Champions, and 4 wildcards(8 teams). 

All District winners play at home 1st Round and are guaranteed seeds 1-4, wildcards 5-8

Round 2 and Round 3, All lower seeds travel to upper seeds. Meaning a #1 seed plays at home the first three rounds. A #2 seed only has to travel if it plays a #1.

Ok i get it now

On 10/4/2017 at 7:52 PM, badbird said:

nope I like only one team from the district gets in.  1-4A should have districts.  They got rid of them because teams were pussies and scared to play a good team in their district.  The point system is majorly flawed

They changed everything to make the smaller private schools happy!!! This is a fact not an opinion. This is why private should only play private and have their own playoffs and championships and public schools their own…

FHSAA is being forced to give in to the private schools because of legislatures reps who have kids that go to private schools… Again this is a fact not opinion…What private schools want they get because of the root of all evil, money…Again this is a fact not opinion…