Playoff point system has major flaws

badbird

7 minutes ago, badbird said:

at the end of this I will make up a schedule that most teams could go undefeated against and make the playoffs but still be a crappy team.

Some teams scheduled stupid, some scheduled smart!   Feel bad for the 1a-4a teams with no district that did that.   Playing really bad teams and going undefeated isn't what you want to do either.  But you can play decent teams that will get you points that you have a chance at beating.  

1 minute ago, Hwy17 said:

Some teams scheduled stupid, some scheduled smart!   Feel bad for the 1a-4a teams with no district that did that.   Playing really bad teams and going undefeated isn't what you want to do either.  But you can play decent teams that will get you points that you have a chance at beating.  

I know PSJ tried to schedule games vs 1A schools offered to travel offered to pay and was refused by all but Wewa (same county admin), Blountstown (main rival), and West Gadsden(defunct).  There is nothing you can do if teams won't play you, I hope PSJ is able to make the playoffs but we will see.

I think we are all getting hysterical a bit too soon. A lot will change before the regular season is over. At that point, the "brain trust" at the FHSAA can look at how the points system worked the first year and after careful analysis make adjustments as anomalies surface.  

All change has unintended consequences. It is how those are dealt with that determines whether we are going in the right direction or not. I know some other states use a points system. I don't know to what extent these were evaluated before Florida's current system was put in place.

24 minutes ago, badbird said:

nope I like only one team from the district gets in.  1-4A should have districts.  They got rid of them because teams were pussies and scared to play a good team in their district.  The point system is majorly flawed

1 team from each district? 

That has so many flaws i won't even go into detail 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

1 team from each district? 

That has so many flaws i won't even go into detail 

Under a one team from each district Apopka would have 0 state titles. The three championships were all won when they were district runner up. The one time we got to state and lost, we were district champ. For that reason alone, I hope we don't go to a 1 team from each district situation. Whether it is runner up or wild card based, having other teams make it in each region gives teams that developed late a chance at the marbles. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Under a one team from each district Apopka would have 0 state titles. The three championships were all won when they were district runner up. The one time we got to state and lost, we were district champ. For that reason alone, I hope we don't go to a 1 team from each district situation. Whether it is runner up or wild card based, having other teams make it in each region gives teams that developed late a chance at the marbles. 

Columbia would have at least 2 or 3 more state titles if they didn't have that 1 team from each district thing in the 60s and 70s

52 minutes ago, PickSix said:

Everyone keeps talking about districts. What about 1A-4A. Booker T (4a) lost to 6a power House Central and 8a Christopher Columbus and is considered a 3 seed which means they're on the road the whole time. This system punishes good 1A-4A teams and helps dingleberries! 

at end of the day the best team will win out the games they have to, I honestly hope Columbia is on road entire playoffs, after seeing how sad of a effort our crowd showed up to trinity Christian last week I would gladly enjoy road entire playoffs, shockingly we likely will finish 5-0 at home this year but we play better as a road team, our home games are basically what some teams get at a neutral site

1 minute ago, badbird said:

you read that wrong or it didn't come out like I meant.  district champ is only one guaranteed.  I don't want 3 team districts where 2 teams are guaranteed to get in and then you have a Leon making the playoffs.  3 team districts is a completely different discussion.  

well that's main reason they switched lol

or better example was 2015 where 1-9 eastside beat a 0-10 belleview team and made playoffs in a 3 team district

while this system is far from perfect but I still feel its a upgrade from old one

The simplest solution would have been to leave it like it was last year but with the provision that a team must be at least .500 to make the playoffs.  If a district did not have enough teamms qualify then go to a point system to bring the 3rd or fourth team out of a strong district.

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

I would agree it is an upgrade other than in classes 1A-4A.  I have a very hard time thinking a 1 point win over the worst team you can think of is better than a one point loss to IMG.  There was also a two team district a few years ago because one of the teams decided to go independent.

there was a 2a district last year with only 2 teams

north florida christian

florida high

I think

1 hour ago, Hwy17 said:

You also got to hope the teams that you scheduled did so smartly.  What sucks are the teams that thought they were scheduling a decent team then over the summer had players transfers out... Like we scheduled holy trinity but heard they lost some key pieces, thought they we going to be decent, and they are sitting at 0-4. So Irma causing cancel probably helped us out. 

Just now, Sharkbait said:

Yeah so lets experiment with the lower classifications because they don't matter.  

well if they don't experiment with all the classes then they wont be able to figure out how to make it better

while I think 1-4a should still have kept districts I think the runner up guaranteed spot had to go 

6 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

well if they don't experiment with all the classes then they wont be able to figure out how to make it better

while I think 1-4a should still have kept districts I think the runner up guaranteed spot had to go 

Exactly everyone should have kept districts and the points system should have been used to fill out the playoff brackets.  That would have encouraged schools to schedule tougher games and we would end up with the best teams in the playoffs.  I really don't hate the idea if you keep districts the way the higher classifications do.  Determining strength of schedule is a tough task no matter how you do it.  I do think we need to look at revamping the classifications.  I would be for combining 1A  and 2A with 2A  teams in a large cities being moved up to the next class.

I said this from the beginning a lot of this before the system was ever implemented, but nothing is official in terms of who is in and out so let's see it through first before we say we should end it.

One of the reasons why it was suggested that we should go to this system is that teams would schedule harder teams instead of sticking with the same old teams. I think we have seen some of that. But I asked a million times, but nobody ever answered, how did the old system discourage playing tougher teams? If you lost the out of district "tough" game, you still could make the playoffs with no harm done to your playoff chances. Now, if you play a tough team and lose, you actually hurt your chances on making the playoffs. As some have pointed out, it is better to play an 0-10 team and win than lose to an 10-0 team.

I warned that the system is going to be very complicated and the average fan won't be able to understand in comparison to the district standings. I still think that is true.

I was told every game would matter (they do), but the team's ranking will depend on something that a coach can't control (how a former opponent does for their other 9 games).

I continue to argue that a system that moves up successful programs and moves down unsuccessful programs would make a better system overall (District champs/runner ups or current system) while using population as a base.

I am concerned about seeding in this playoff bracket. If #1 vs #8 and #4 vs #5 (some of these #5 seeds the 2nd best team in the region, but play in the same district as the #1 seed). It would make more sense to me to re-seed after each round, so that the #1 seed always plays the lowest seed left.