Playoff point system has major flaws

badbird

52 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Idk why sta is in 7a as only private 

6a or 8a would be far more competitive for them district wise and considering they a private I'm sure they could move sta up to 8a without complaint since i doubt sta would really whine about a tougher region,  they seem like a team who would welcome the challenge 

There are 8A teams that would not welcome St. Thomas. Personally, I am fine with them remaining in 7A. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Come on, man, Dillard is not that bad! Or are you just looking for a league where you could say Dillard is the best team?

If Dillard goes independent they won't be the clear best team by any stretch but they will be able to compete ...in going to bring it up to our Ad today so we can really make that move 

1 minute ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They are only private in 7a 

Most privates of similar size are in 8a

I believe Columbus and Belan Jesuit are the only 8A privates. Columbus is bigger than St. Thomas (adjusted for being an all boys school), Belan is not. I believe St. Thomas is a middle tier 7A school in terms of population. Belan moved to 8A due to the huge Miami District in 7A and the fact Columbus is a rival.

Just now, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

If Dillard goes independent they won't be the clear best team by any stretch but they will be able to compete ...in going to bring it up to our Ad today so we can really make that move 

I hope Dillard does not make that move. I believe Dillard can compete in 6A with some changes to the program. 

1 minute ago, DarterBlue2 said:

Come on, man, Dillard is not that bad! Or are you just looking for a league where you could say Dillard is the best team?

If you move Dillard to 7a they in same district as sta

Move them to 8a they get Deerfield Beach, western, Miramar among others in the region 

Move them to 5a they in district with AHP and cardinal gibbons 

4a they in same region as BTW 

No matter where you move Dillard the road still gonna be tough one

5 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Why do u hope that we don't ? It will be some good games with us vs other independent teams

Because Dillard has a better history and tradition than that. And, I do believe Dillard could be competitive with the best in Florida with some changes. 

If you move down to independent, there is no incentive to restore the program to its better years!

12 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Why do u hope that we don't ? It will be some good games with us vs other independent teams

Lol brah you all would be largest team in sunshine state conference so i don't think it would be as good as it would appear,  sure you all would win more but it would not be that challenging 

Category Loss or Win is determine at the time you play a team or at the end? For example a team maybe 3-0 when you played but finish 3-7 at the end will that team be a Category 1 or 4? And the same thing opposite a team maybe 0-3 when you played but finish 7-3 what category win or loss that will be? 

7 minutes ago, Chotsani said:

Category Loss or Win is determine at the time you play a team or at the end? For example a team maybe 3-0 when you played but finish 3-7 at the end will that team be a Category 1 or 4? And the same thing opposite a team maybe 0-3 when you played but finish 7-3 what category win or loss that will be? 

How they finish 

26 minutes ago, Chotsani said:

End of season record. So all games matter.

I can appreciate Beasley stepping up and doing something different.  There needed to be change.  The point system needs to be adjusted.  The 3 bonus points for teams making the playoffs is silly.   Because Leon or Gateway or any bad team now made the playoffs and Miami Norland didn't you get bonus points for playing Leon but not for playing Miami Norland.  More points need to be added for playing good teams or less points need to be given for beating bad teams.  A 1 point win over Mount Dora Christian should not be worth 53 points and a one point loss to IMG worth 33 points.  

25 minutes ago, badbird said:

I can appreciate Beasley stepping up and doing something different.  There needed to be change.  The point system needs to be adjusted.  The 3 bonus points for teams making the playoffs is silly.   Because Leon or Gateway or any bad team now made the playoffs and Miami Norland didn't you get bonus points for playing Leon but not for playing Miami Norland.  More points need to be added for playing good teams or less points need to be given for beating bad teams.  A 1 point win over Mount Dora Christian should not be worth 53 points and a one point loss to IMG worth 33 points.  

I agree with most of the above. However, going forward, the new system should make it more difficult for really bad teams to make the playoffs. So the Leon and Gateway vis a viz Norland, should to some degree go away. 

The one thing I do take some issue with is the comment about beating bad teams. While I agree that a one point loss to an IMG or Lakeland should not get 33 points versus 50 points for a close win over a Mount Dora Christian, in general, who would make the call as to which team is bad? Take the Hagerty situation. I believe they made the playoffs last year; hence, beating them this year garners a decent amount of points, even though they may not be very good this year. 

Perhaps a better solution would have been if we had kept the District winner/runner up situation but mandated that a district needed to be at least 4 teams or if three or less were allowed, then only the district champ would automatically be in with some kind of Regional wild card situation to deal with the other spot (s). 

24 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Player's would leave because they wouldn't get much exposure playing sunshine state conference schedule

Yeah they would scouts would still cum because they kno Dillard usually breeds a lot of talent it would b better for the players to playing on a even playing feel will get u that many more highlights for your highlight tape & etc. brought it up today & suprisingly it was already being talked about don't b surprised to see Dillard independent next year.

49 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Yeah they would scouts would still cum because they kno Dillard usually breeds a lot of talent it would b better for the players to playing on a even playing feel will get u that many more highlights for your highlight tape & etc. brought it up today & suprisingly it was already being talked about don't b surprised to see Dillard independent next year.

Independent football right now is not very structured or healthy in SFL.  Pre- 2017 SFL had two Independent leagues that were very organized with a few decent teams and players competing.  Dillard now would not be able to find a competitive game right now as Independents.  Pre -2017 they would have been a top Independent team and a good shot at competing for a championships, league championships that is. 

Unless there are other teams jumping ship , it would make no sense IMO.

You don't think scouts know that Dillard is playing against elite competition during the season and in November?

Keep  in mind many of Dillard's top players are actually transfers, so there has to be  reason that is attracting quality players to transfer to Dillard or they have a few good snake oil salesman out there...

44 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

Player's would leave because they wouldn't get much exposure playing sunshine state conference schedule

...and what about basketball, track, etc. They move to that chump association too ?  Dilliard's always been a Big Boy. No way do they "Throw In The Towel... Put Their Tail Between Their Legs... Wimp Out" .... come on Panther MAN UP.....