Point System Issues?

Mashburns

The issues of the point system will be the exact same way at every level. Some complaining that some regions are tougher than others or one school schedule was/are better than another school but the school with the poor schedule have a higher point avg than the other. But lets take college football, scheduling and losing to a top caliber team can affect your chances of getting into the final 4, now where at in the season you lose to that team can also impact your chances of advancing to the final four. Great example Alabama has not currently beat a team that is ranked in the top 25 currently (FSU was at the time they played) and Alabama is ranked over Clemson who has not loss all season and has played i believe two ranked opponents at this time. Some people felt last season that Washington didn't deserve to be in the final four because of the (region/conference) they play in and arguments can be made for both sides. Some people feel automatically that the champion of the SEC and the runner up of the SEC should both play in the championship series. Few years back a 7-8 NFL team made the playoffs in one region/conference while in another region/conference 7-8 will land you 3rd or 4th place in the division. Lets take a look at basketball, the NBA western conference for years has been better than the east. The 5th rank team in the west probably can compete and beat 1 through 4 in the East, or in college basketball the bottom of some major conferences can beat a every team in the d1aa that make the 64 because they won out in their region, now at times you may have a great Cinderella story but for the most part we can predict what would probably happen if they wen face to face,  So is the system perfect no but what system you know that will be?  

9 minutes ago, Chotsani said:

The issues of the point system will be the exact same way at every level. Some complaining that some regions are tougher than others or one school schedule was/are better than another school but the school with the poor schedule have a higher point avg than the other. But lets take college football, scheduling and losing to a top caliber team can affect your chances of getting into the final 4, now where at in the season you lose to that team can also impact your chances of advancing to the final four. Great example Alabama has not currently beat a team that is ranked in the top 25 currently (FSU was at the time they played) and Alabama is ranked over Clemson who has not loss all season and has played i believe two ranked opponents at this time. Some people felt last season that Washington didn't deserve to be in the final four because of the (region/conference) they play in and arguments can be made for both sides. Some people feel automatically that the champion of the SEC and the runner up of the SEC should both play in the championship series. Few years back a 7-8 NFL team made the playoffs in one region/conference while in another region/conference 7-8 will land you 3rd or 4th place in the division. Lets take a look at basketball, the NBA western conference for years has been better than the east. The 5th rank team in the west probably can compete and beat 1 through 4 in the East, or in college basketball the bottom of some major conferences can beat a every team in the d1aa that make the 64 because they won out in their region, now at times you may have a great Cinderella story but for the most part we can predict what would probably happen if they wen face to face,  So is the system perfect no but what system you know that will be?  

maybe 5 years ago but runner up in sec sucks these days

bama is only good team in sec and if they lose I see no one in sec winning a single playoff game

Sure, no system is perfect. However, if based on the current points allocation it becomes obvious that there are serious issues which could make the new system even worse than what existed before, then it behooves management to make necessary adjustments to at least make the new system no worse than the previous one.

For the most part, I have supported the change from District Champ/Runner up, to a points based system. And, I will continue to do so provided the points based system yields decent results.

However, if it does not, and proper adjustments are not made, then I would just as soon go back to the old system with minor modifications. These modifications could be as simple as requiring a minimum of four teams per district. Or if that is not feasible due to travel considerations in some cases, giving only the district champ a guaranteed playoff spot in the case of a three team district, with the remaining spot(s) in the region to be based on either overall won/loss records or points based on strength of schedule. 

9 minutes ago, badbird said:

don't worry, columbia loves his ACC.  He had 9 teams ranked in the top 25 a few weeks ago.  I'm sure he still has FSU in the top 25.  SEC is not a good product right now.  Alabama, Georgia and Auburn are the only 3 that are good.  The rest are like ACC teams.

Auburn already lost to a acc team and I'm sure that same acc team would beat Georgia 

Number 4 seed Dillard vs number 5 seed Miami central is all I need to say.!!!!

How the 67879786.!!! Can Miami notthweatern Be Number 1 And Miami central and Norland and Carol city get in someone please explain this to me when the three all lost to great teams which based off how the point system was explained to me that hurts u more then beating a sorry team so if that’s the case how can all 4 teams still get in.!!?!?!? So u go from 2 teams getting in to possibly 4 out of 1 district getting and some that win their district may still not get in that’s STR8 foolishness this is not even about being scared to play them cuz Dillard isn’t winning states anyway but this is crazy!!!

and it also seem as if you make it in with points and not just str8 our winning your district u get the more favorable matchup.!!! Shouldn’t it be Dillard and let’s say Miami northwestern play mantaza & new symra beach as district champion instead of Miami Norland and Carol city like this is all screwed up and I don’t like it what was explained to me before was that if u did not win your district then more then likely u was not getting in the playoffs which what made it very important to win your district so if MNW wins their district cantral Carol city or Norland should be done.

4 hours ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Number 4 seed Dillard vs number 5 seed Miami central is all I need to say.!!!!

How the 568687976866.!!! Can Miami notthweatern Be Number 1 And Miami central and Norland and Carol city get in someone please explain this to me when the three all lost to great teams which based off how the point system was explained to me that hurts u more then beating a sorry team so if that’s the case how can all 4 teams still get in.!!?!?!? So u go from 2 teams getting in to possibly 4 out of 1 district getting and some that win their district may still not get in that’s STR8 foolishness this is not even about being scared to play them cuz Dillard isn’t winning states anyway but this is crazy!!!

and it also seem as if you make it in with points and not just str8 our winning your district u get the more favorable matchup.!!! Shouldn’t it be Dillard and let’s say Miami northwestern play mantaza & new symra beach as district champion instead of Miami Norland and Carol city like this is all screwed up and I don’t like it what was explained to me before was that if u did not win your district then more then likely u was not getting in the playoffs which what made it very important to win your district so if MNW wins their district cantral Carol city or Norland should be done.

What? 

If that was case we only get 4 teams we want better teams in playoffs not less teams

Don't blame district 16 blame the rest of District 13, 14, and 15 who ain't picking up the slack and losing out on playoff spots 

Dillard only team in district 15 who deserves to be in playoffs, rest of district has played terrible this year 

I don't think any team in district 13 or 14 can beat any of the 4 teams projected to make playoffs out of District 16 so if they are one of the best 8 in the region why should they not make playoffs,  not their fault they better than any potential wild card in the region and maybe better than the district champs in the region this year 

9 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

What? 

If that was case we only get 4 teams we want better teams in playoffs not less teams

Don't blame district 16 blame the rest of District 13, 14, and 15 who ain't picking up the slack and losing out on playoff spots 

Dillard only team in district 15 who deserves to be in playoffs, rest of district has played terrible this year 

I don't think any team in district 13 or 14 can beat any of the 4 teams projected to make playoffs out of District 16 so if they are one of the best 8 in the region why should they not make playoffs,  not their fault they better than any potential wild card in the region and maybe better than the district champs in the region this year 

Again it has nothing to do with that because as u have stated in the past anybody can win or any given night right u just got to be the better team that night right !?!! So i don’t give a dam what the records are of the other district 13 & 14 teams and I’m sure some of them have better records then 2-3 Norland or similar records to 1 lost northwestern & Miami central real talk I don’t like it and I bet if u all had to play St. Thomas as a district  champion u would be complaining to.

9 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Again it has nothing to do with that because as u have stated in the past anybody can win or any given night right u just got to be the better team that night right !?!! So i don’t give a dam what the records are of the other district 13 & 14 teams and I’m sure some of them have better records then 2-3 Norland or similar records to 1 lost northwestern & Miami central real talk I don’t like it and I bet if u all had to play St. Thomas as a district  champion u would be complaining to.

So basically your saying your scared of playing any of the 4 teams in Dade? BTW Norland is 3-3 bout to be 4-3 after Friday... The system is suspect a bit right now but it is the first year of it... Atleast we ain’t gonna see 2-8 teams making the playoffs no mo...

14 minutes ago, "PANTHER NATiON" (WE HERE) said:

Yes any team can win on any given night but if you don't win district you should have to earn it 

Key part is wild card, if these other districts aren't stepping up it's on those other 3 districts not the 1 district with 4 teams that are deserving of playoffs 

If you have a 7-3 or 8-2 team against oppenents with a combined record of 9-56 or a 6-4 team with combined record of 56-9 which more impressive 

Now i don't have specific numbers I'm just saying hypothetically 

4 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

So basically your saying your scared of playing any of the 4 teams in Dade? BTW Norland is 3-3 bout to be 4-3 after Friday... The system is suspect a bit right now but it is the first year of it... Atleast we ain’t gonna see 2-8 teams making the playoffs no mo...

Scared ? Nahhh I just want to see someone district other then a team out of that district will it make a difference being that we would have to face one of them eventually not really.

but you never know u get that first playoff win or 2 start to build up some confidence and then wen u face a MNW or etc u just never know. Same way back in 07 & 08 facing national ranked and national champion both years STA soon as we get into the playoffs Dillard has always been in a unfortunate situation in football wen it comes to the playoffs 

13 minutes ago, Zoe Boy said:

Zoe you could have an 0-10 team make it in this new system.   It is highly unlikely but yes it is possible.  They would have to play all teams that finish 8-2 or better and made the playoffs in the 2 year window.  That would be a hell of a schedule but I could see BTW with a schedule like that.  However BTW isn't losing all 10.  They would also have to be in a very weak region probably in class 1A-4A where there are not many teams in the region. 

1 minute ago, badbird said:

Zoe you could have an 0-10 team make it in this new system.   It is highly unlikely but yes it is possible.  They would have to play all teams that finish 8-2 or better and made the playoffs in the 2 year window.  That would be a hell of a schedule but I could see BTW with a schedule like that.  However BTW isn't losing all 10.  They would also have to be in a very weak region probably in class 1A-4A where there are not many teams in the region. 

You had 1-9 teams making it in old system 

Old one isn't better at least not in 5-8a

1 hour ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

You had 1-9 teams making it in old system 

Old one isn't better at least not in 5-8a

stop comparing old to new.  Both systems suck.  This one is better in 5A-8A and I'm not sure by how much.  At least in 5A-8A if you don't make it you can only blame yourself for not winning the district title. Overall it is not better because it is so brutal for 1A-4A and that's not really the point.  The point is it needs to be adjusted quickly.  Hopefully at the end of the season major changes are made. 

4 minutes ago, badbird said:

stop comparing old to new.  Both systems suck.  This one is better in 5A-8A and I'm not sure by how much.  At least in 5A-8A if you don't make it you can only blame yourself for not winning the district title. Overall it is not better because it is so brutal for 1A-4A and that's not really the point.  The point is it needs to be adjusted quickly.  Hopefully at the end of the season major changes are made. 

They can make changes and i agree things need to be corrected in 1-4a but i like the changes to 5-8a

1 all games matter 

2 playoff host by seeds not some stupid district alignment 

3 better wild cards in playoffs

4 we dont get same exact matchups every year 

53 minutes ago, ColumbiaHighFan2017class said:

They can make changes and i agree things need to be corrected in 1-4a but i like the changes to 5-8a

1 all games matter 

2 playoff host by seeds not some stupid district alignment 

3 better wild cards in playoffs

4 we dont get same exact matchups every year 

I can agree with those.  I don't think #3 will happen all the time because of how the point system is created now but more than not it will